Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Dev_Anj

Learned
Looks like a Revision fan doesn't like GMDX being recommended everywhere, since he/she lashed out against the mod yesterday. Here's proof:

http://www.moddb.com/members/tickldkfiifo/reviews

Deus Ex: Revision
Oct 14 2015Mod review - 7 agree - 12 disagree
People need to calm the **** down, seriously the game is only a dollar. If you can afford your internet every month, then you can afford this game on Steam. Babies.

GMDX
Mar 23 2016Mod review

Even more, it looks like the member created an alt specifically to show down GMDX and upvote Revision just day before yesterday:

http://www.moddb.com/members/dizzy360

dizzy360
joined Mar 22, 2016

Deus Ex: Revision
Mar 22 2016Mod review
Awesome mod that should have higher rate than this!

Why so badly rated?

GMDX
Mar 23 2016Mod review

I don't like that someone is using such underhanded tactics to bring a mod down without even trying to argue their position, and so I brought it up here.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah, I'm pretty butthurt about that too, the reviews were flawless until this likely agenda-driven individual came along. People are entitled to their opinions but given the universal praise and obvious agenda here I doubt there was an opinion formed in the first place. I'm surprised this is the first time it has happened though given that people readily shat on Revision without fair analysis, not that I care too strongly about that because my own thoughts on the mod and the steam crap are far from favorable.

Anyhow, both French and Russian translation are done. Big thanks to the translators. I'll probably need some testers for these languages in addition to the bugfixes and tweaks soon.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
People still care about Revision? I though it was forgotten some time after release.
And I don't buy that "game is only 1-2 dorra on Steam" when I already have more than one copy of the game.
Three, to be precised - one from gaming magazine, second in retail version ("cheap series") and last one on GOG.
talking with revision fanboys is like talking to the wall.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
People still care about Revision? I though it was forgotten some time after release.
And I don't buy that "game is only 1-2 dorra on Steam" when I already have more than one copy of the game.
Three, to be precised - one from gaming magazine, second in retail version ("cheap series") and last one on GOG.

Just pirate it like the cool guys do. :mrpresident:
There's even a cracked .exe for playing Revision, though why would you want to play that piece of shit is beyond me.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Just pirate it like the cool guys do. :mrpresident:
There's even a cracked .exe for playing Revision, though why would you want to play that piece of shit is beyond me.

Why would I should pirate game that I already have in 3 units (retail and digital)?
And yes, there is .exe for it to make it playable on nonSteam version.
Steam versions of the game have same files so...

KlauZ

Educated
How much is this mod really designed for "New Vision"? Because I want to unsee it.
lgBB4Mv.jpg

Also noticed minor inconsistency in that book

b3W5guL.jpg
So far mod is great but i feel that Biomod did a better job at rebalancing augmentations. I certainly miss True spy drone. Also why mantling isn`t tied to athletics? And it still works despite being disabled in a menu.

Ash

Arcane
So far mod is great but i feel that Biomod did a better job at rebalancing augmentations.

You've got to be kidding. You're mistaking "rebalancing" for "making them convenient to use/plays the game for you", because Biomod absolutely destroys the balance of augmentations in accordance to the overarching design in some cases, namely the aqualung and aggressive defense system augs.

Also why mantling isn`t tied to athletics? And it still works despite being disabled in a menu.

Why would it be tied to athletics? It should be a natural action available off the bat. Who can't climb onto waist-high objects aside from dangerously obese people? Additionally, mantling is such an empowering and convenient feature that every playstyle would be overly encouraged to get athletics.

Last edited:

KlauZ

Educated
Ok I`ve read your points on other forum, I guess i`m just a filthy casual. Still, is there a chance of additional features of Spy Drone and EMP melee in the future?

Who can't climb onto waist-high objects
Trenchcoat isn`t very practical, also a half a ton of weaponry and wine bottles in your pockets may hinder movement a little.
I see the problem, but still. Its a little TOO empowering just to be turned on by default.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Ok I`ve read your points on other forum, I guess i`m just a filthy casual. Still, is there a chance of additional features of Spy Drone and EMP melee in the future?

EMP melee added to combat strength greatly disrupts the balance of cameras, turrets, bots, alarm triggers & laser triggers VS multitools, EMP grenades, explosives, thermoptic camo etc. Sure you have to get in close first but you can already destroy those things with combat strength as it is, but ONLY if you combine it with low tech skill investment. This is key.

Spy drone granting ranged computer manipulation is pretty good, yet it already acts as a repeatable, pilotable EMP grenade and scouting tool which is adequate as-is. Still, I'll consider it, but getting to computers to then use them is often supposed to be a challenge in itself and I'm not sure there should be an easy way to overcome that. I only added ranged multitools primarily because the multitool skill tree needed all the help it can get to be a worthwhile investment. Spy drone, arguably at least, doesn't need that.

Trenchcoat isn`t very practical, also a half a ton of weaponry and wine bottles in your pockets may hinder movement a little.
I see the problem, but still. Its a little TOO empowering just to be turned on by default.

Those that don't like it can disable it from the menus, of course. I'll look into your claim disabling it doesn't work, thanks for the report.

Edit: just looked into it. Code is all in order and disabling mantling via menus works as intended. Are you sure your report is accurate?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
"I only added ranged multitools primarily because the multitool skill tree needed all the help it can get to be a worthwhile investment."

And the range is very limited. With spy drone you can go anywhere on the map in theory, save doors blocking your way.

Anyhow, I'm in the mood to do a little design and coding tonight and a couple of little ideas have been entering my head the past couple of days, so perhaps expect a minor update soon.

Last edited:

Sjukob

Arcane
Ash
Alright , I finished Deus Ex with this mod intalled today and I wanted to let you know what I think .

All in all , it's a great mod and it polishes the gameplay quite successfully , however I can't really say what is better , the original game or the modded one , but I will elaborate this statement later .

Now , some things I liked the most about this mod .
1) Microfibral Muscle rework is very well done , being able to use bodies as weapon , destroy even heavy bots with a throw of a heavy object , break weak doors with a cardboard box . Excellent !
2) The new gore system , shooting a crowd with a gep gun , seeing it turning into steaming piles of meat , demolish somebody's head with a precise throw of a crowbar or turn them into an ooze with a plasma weapons . Fuck yeah !
3) Previously weak/useless weapons now pack a punch .
4) Augmentations rework is very nice in general , I have almost nothing to complain about here .
5) Ballistic armor and hazmat suit are only lose durability when you take damage , finally .

These are the points that I subjectively appreciate the most , but here comes the time for bitching .

As I understood from reading the mod's discription on the web site , the main goal of the work was balance and I really didn't like some of the decisions .

1) Let's start from the beggining . When I clicked "New game" and was offered to select a difficulty , I picked realistic without even thinking . Realistic difficulty is my favoutire difficulty in the original game and it's the only one I play , so I expected it to function similar in the mod . NO ! Enemies are too fucking spongy , MJ12 soldiers can take 3 , THREE FUCKING HEADSHOTS from pistol with advanced skill and a bunch of damage mods installed . Spongines is especially bad when you are fighting augmented people . Walton Simons took 3 gep gun rockets with master skill before dying , heavy bots take less than that . Each rocket deals about 490 damage , holy shit that guy is tough . I mean it's not hard to kill him at that point of the game , but there is no reason for him to have so much health . So , I was dissapointed with game not having realistic-like damage from the original game . From sponginess comes another problem .

2) The loot distribution . You cut the amount of ammo that enemies drop , changed drops from ammo crates and it fucking sucks ! LAMs in the original were scarce enough , you removed them from a lot of places , where they could be previously aquired from , so I forgot that they existed until very late game . SCRAMBLE FUCKING GRENADES !!! There are so few of them , I can count them on fingers of the single hand . You can buy 3 from the chick in UNATCO HQ and there is one in the tunnel in Vandenberg , that's 4 grenades aquired throught the whole walkthrough , THE FUCK ?! Also enemies drop about 2-3 bullets for the weapon they are carrying , thats realistic I guess . I don't know how I was able to kill agent Navarre in Lebedev's aircraft , she was quite a threat in the original game , now she's spongy and you don't have explosives to take her down , I was just lucky to take her down her in a few throws of shit lying around , because I had Microfibral Muscle upgraded . Also haven't found a single LAW in the game .

3) Skills balance . I don't get your idea about nerfing pre master skills of lockpicking and electronics , they are basically pointless before you upgrade them to master . If your idea was to achieve exactly that , then I don't know what you've been thinking .

With decreased amount of ammo drop , you discourage the use of heavy wepoans , although I was able to save enough plasma clips for the endgame , let's take a look at things . There are lot of enemies in the endgame who are resistant to energy/burning damage , heavy weapons skill allows for a more effective use of flamethrower , plasma rifle and GEP gun . FLAMETHROWER AND PLASMA RIFLE CAN ONLY DEAL BURNING AND ENERGY DAMAGE , so that's 2/3 of weapons are useless against those enemies , you can only utilize a GEP gun loaded with explosive rockets against them WHICH YOU CUT IN THE AMOUNT , but increased the number of MJ12 commandos per level , and when I find mainly WP rockets for GEP gun , I feel like you are giving me a finger . So you further encourage use of rifles , they are stronger than pistols and have much more ammo than heavy weapons . Also why the fuck crossbow deals more damage than UPGRADED pistol ?!

Nerfed Dragon tooth sword ?! Fuck you ! At least allow low-tech users to have at previous strength .
Also fuck you for not allowing for endless food consumption , it would not make player overpowered if he is allowed to guzzle shit without some stupid perk .

I would like to suggest to merge athletics and stealth skill .

4) I completely don't understand the point of stamina , why is it there ? What for ? To not allow non athletic players into melee combat ? Well those who don't invest in low-tech don't fancy close combat , so this stamina bar only stumbles you from exploration of big areas .

5) Physics . They are nice , for the most part , until you need to throw greandes from above at the enemy below you . You can't control the strength of a throw , grenades will bounce wherever the fuck they want .

6) I think enemies vision range is much too big , needs slight nerf .

So , you understand my main complaint - not enough resources . Yes , in the original Deus Ex you were showering in loot , but you at least got to use shit , now cool things are too few . Although I like that you nerfed amount of lockpicks and multitools , because they were infinite in the original , but I think it doesn't work that well with cutting the % on skills so much .

Ash

Arcane
shhh now, just follow the example of our good member Jaedar here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...e-mod-gmdx-v8-0-released.105428/#post-4287337

It's all top notch. Probably the most impressive part of the mod is that it doesn't really have any shit design choices

:)

sjukob said:
As I understood from reading the mod's discription on the web site , the main goal of the work was balance

You're mistaken.

As stated on the website, the mod changes and/or adds the following things:

Player-Controlled Mechanics
Artificial Intelligence
Weaponry
Audio Design
Level Design
Visual Effects & Graphics
User Interface
Difficulty Levels
Skills
Perks
Augmentations
Bug Patches
Miscellaneous

Balance changes come into play some of these categorized modifications, and it is a big part of the experience, but it isn't the main goal of the mod.

Most of your complaints stem from choosing a difficulty level not suited to you as an individual. If you want something closer to the vanilla experience in terms of challenge, pick easy or normal. I don't blame you for not knowing the differences of each difficulty level, there's no real way for you to be able to tell without first experiencing them beforehand and once you do you cannot change difficulty on the fly, but I stick by that old design tradition and don't intend to change it. I've made a couple of balance tweaks in v8.1, but not much will change, it's just important people don't pick the higher difficulty levels if they are not ready for a higher level of difficulty. That's what the options are there for.

Here's some specific answers:

"So , I was dissapointed with game not having realistic-like damage from the original game . From sponginess comes another problem"

The semi-realistic damage model of the original game is still there. Most enemies go down in one headshot, unless you hit their helmet or they are heavily armored and augmented. Armored and augmented enemies are only encountered late game. As for Simons, he is basically the final boss, one you don't even have to engage. The reason he is explosive resistant is because he has energy shield, just like you the player can have and survive multiple rockets with.

"I don't get your idea about nerfing pre master skills of lockpicking and electronics , they are basically pointless before you upgrade them to master"

That's simply not true. You don't even need master level lockpicking to open all locked doors, providing you look for alternative routes and break doors down where possible.

"I completely don't understand the point of stamina , why is it there ? What for ? "

-In the original game, simply running away from aggro AI is far too easy and inconsequential, almost mindless. Stamina encourages skillful escape.
-Another realistic system to manage in combat & stealth, encouraging more tactical moment-to-moment play.
-Adds greater value to the athletics (previously known as Swimming) skill, as stamina is tied to it.

"5) Physics . They are nice , for the most part , until you need to throw greandes from above at the enemy below you . You can't control the strength of a throw , grenades will bounce wherever the fuck they want"

What does this have to do with the mod? It's vanilla behavior. Getting the short fuse perk shortens grenade detonation time which helps here.

"Nerfed Dragon tooth sword ?! Fuck you !"

It's just better game design, stop whining. It's not really notably nerfed anyway. It still stealth skills anything in one hit, it does MORE damage vs locked doors than it did vanilla, and a headshot still puts mostly everything down in one hit. This is all without combat strength and low-tech investment.

"Also why the fuck crossbow deals more damage than UPGRADED pistol ?!"

Another thing that was also true in the vanilla game. Although it only applies to the steel darts. Flare darts, tranq darts etc are weaker in damage, but the game doesn't tell you that.

"6) I think enemies vision range is much too big , needs slight nerf."

Enemy vision range and sensitivity scales based on difficulty level.

As for your whining about explosives, they are less often found on higher difficulty levels because they are a catch-all solution. Most problems can be solved with an explosive. This dictates they must be a rare resource, it's game design law.

Last edited:

Dev_Anj

Learned
I do think that the ammo is too scarce on the lower difficulty levels, and that a few items were made a bit too scarce in general. Otherwise I would say that most of the changes you talk about have good intentions. I've made some changes to stuff I think is questionable in my version of GMDX, like the eat/drink limit( good idea in theory but is way too rough to work in practice unless he implements some sort of meter) and I do want to hear feedback on what you think could be improved in the mod.

Also scramblers are still way too situational to work well in the hands of anyone besides a player taking explosives to master, and such player would be few and far between I think. So some more scrambler grenades wouldn't hurt.

Ash

Arcane
Hunger system definitely needs expansion or removal, I don't disagree there. I lean more to expansion though as with the new left click object interactivity JC becomes an eating machine without some kind of limitation: everything gets eaten upon discovery like a [insert fat person joke] if there is health to be gained. Much like in Bioshock where you eat anything & everything out of trash cans and more, which is a bit silly, so that's where the hunger system comes in with a realistic limitation and also encourages strategic food consumption.

Scrambler grenades work just fine at untrained as a temporary alliance switch, giving you a short amount of time to run past the bot or destroy it, or have it take out some grunts. Higher the skill, longer time you get, but it's useful even at lower skill levels. It's just a lot less OP than it was vanilla, which gave you around a minute of friendly alliance at untrained which was usually enough time for the bot to completely clear the immediate area and then be destroyed before switching back to hostile.

Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
My first impressions after playing the first level and looking at the code:

Nice, perks!

The first-level pistol and rifle perks look super great, I wonder why they exist, and at that level?

Only five bullets from a box, and only 2 from a dropped weapon? Ah, right, I get it. You're not supposed to use ammo to take down enemies, but only to open things, I guess. So you probably shouldn't spend points on upgrading pistol and rifle beyond "trained" and get the first perk.

I get the GEP gun, leave the dock, get the first crate and crawl to the corner... where there is a plant in the way. Which is a recurring theme: on many places you cannot hide behind the corner anymore, because there's a plant or lamp there now. Hm.

When crawling around the plant, I immediately get spotted, and the enemy throws a flare in my face. Nice. I run back to the dock to shake them off. Paul and the bot start shooting. They even run up the ramp and come back a minute or so later. And most enemies are dead. I walk to Headquarters, and see more dead bodies everywhere. Yep, half the enemies of this level are now gone. That's some impressive aggro range.

Ok, I've got a GEP gun, let's take out the security bot at the entrance of the statue. Although... I cannot. The GEP gun has no scope and no tracking, so I am totally incapable of hitting the bot with it. Bummer. One more useless ranged weapon.

Anyway, when the bot is destroyed by using up all my ammo on it, it's time to get some more healing from the medbot in the container. But, it's empty! Grr! Ok, let's restart on medium difficulty, because I guess that was a feature from realistic and hardcore. But, after repeating the above (and shrugging off most of the bullet hits), it is still empty after two uses. Bah. Ah, well, another reason why you should sneak around everyone and only use weapons that don't use ammo.

And btw, I think restricting the amount of food and drinks to just a few is stupid as well. Yes, you can get probably 30-50 hitpoints by eating and drinking everything there is in a level, so I understand that it is totally OP. Not.

Ok, there's a few enemies left between me and the dock at the other side, so I take them down (shoot one with a tranquilizer dart and take out the other(s) when they come running). And I cannot find the one with the sniper rifle. Hm. How did I miss that one? Ok, restart and try again, this time on realistic again. And, after repeating the above, I'm sure the NSF guy that normally has the rifle, now has a pistol. Grr. Ok, well, they're not that useful anyway, with the severe ammo shortage. But I really like being a sniper!

Ok, so I took a break, downloaded the SDK, puzzled a bit to have it work with GMDX and started fixing the things I didn't like. And noticed that you change a lot of things in code everywhere. So, I changed the classes for the ammo and such, but had to find the places in the code which override it.

The code and especially the comments are interesting. With that mindset, I don't think programming is for you.

But anyway, I appreciate your dedication and I really like a lot you did, but I don't like the artificial difficulty and that you're only allowed one play style. So, I was wondering: can we have a version with the new graphics, the changes to the levels and the AI and such, but without the artificial restrictions to ammo and healing and such? And a working GEP gun?

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The code and especially the comments are interesting. With that mindset, I don't think programming is for you.

Care to expand on this? Just curious on your opinion of his coding skills.
It's a bit spaghetti, hard to read and he mostly changed existing code bit by bit instead of making new blocks. But the interesting bit is in the comments.

Like, there is existing code that adds items to the inventory. This makes a difference between guns, ammo and other stuff. Instead of splitting it up, he added a lot of if..else statements to the existing ones, with comments like:

// Ok, first take care of grenades, we want random 1-4
// Now other ammo (NOT grenades), give them 1-4 random
// For grenades, we want just 1
// And now the grenades: I hate special cases!
// I really hate special cases!
// Did I say I hate special cases?
// I *REALLY* hate special cases!

Etc. (Not literally, just how I remember it.)

Simply because grenades are a special case which he didn't split off. I would have rewritten that whole function and used much less code to do it.

But it looks functional enough. Just spread out and hard to read.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It's not uncommon for people to cut their teeth modding. At least he is commenting, even if it reads like a journal. He did ask for help (mostly testing) but didn't get many takers. I'm sure he learned some things along the way and delivered a mod. Some of the changes are overzealous, particularly surrounding decisions he made about play-style. So as you say SymbolicFrank it's play his way only, which is probably a little off-putting for those who have played enough to know where certain items are.

Mustawd

Thanks for expanding on that SymbolicFrank.

Doctor Sbaitso, wasn't trying to bash Ash/CyberP as his mod seems pretty good and it was quite a bit of effort. As you said, there are plenty of people who cut their teeth modding and learn in the process. Nothing wrong with that.

People's views of ones work is just kind of a special interest of mine. Believe it or not, it's similar to some of the work I used to do; in that the prior person's file served as a roadmap for the current person working on said file. And sometimes it was painful to revisit some of the old files I worked on:

"Ugh, who the fuck prepared
this thing? Formatting is god awful, documentation sucks, and it's full of unnecessary crap"

*prepared by Mustawd*

"Oops...."

Last edited by a moderator:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Yes, as I said, I do like the mod, mostly. It brings fresh things to Deus Ex. That's very cool. Not the same game again.

But it's why I don't like DX:HR as well: while, technically, you can play in multiple ways, realistically the game/mod goes a long way discouraging anything but stealth play with only non-lethal take downs.

And while I do like to play that way as well, I don't like that all the time. Sometimes I just want to blow everything and everyone up. Or, especially on rooftops, snipe everyone from afar. But mostly, I like that I can do whatever I feel like at that moment. I often do at least one level guns-blazing as well, after I got the bullet protection aug. And yes, I did play it once non-lethal (except Anna). But I played it more than fifteen times, so I try to take a new approach each time/level/situation.

And I often change the damage of a sniper rifle so that a hit in the head will take me down, even if I have all the augs that increase my durability. So that when I die, it is almost always that I just drop to the ground without a head, from a sniper I didn't spot up front.

I also like to increase the amount of GEP and/or LAM ammo that drops (or spawn a bunch), so I can make a whole level explode. The church and Vandenberg are my favorite levels for this tactic.

That's also why I took out the security bot: I know I don't have to, but I wanted to. I don't like security bots :)

Ash

Arcane
If you are going to shit on someone's work make sure it isn't with totally unfounded criticism.

Only five bullets from a box, and only 2 from a dropped weapon? Ah, right, I get it. You're not supposed to use ammo to take down enemies, but only to open things, I guess. So you probably shouldn't spend points on upgrading pistol and rifle beyond "trained" and get the first perk.

Pistol Ammo Counts:

Box

Vanilla = 6.
GMDX = 5. Also adds new armor piercing ammo boxes.

Dropped

Vanilla: randomized 1-4.
GMDX: randomized 1-4.

So what is your criticism here, ignoring the fact that less ammo is a good thing as in Deus Ex you were absolutely swimming in it?

I get the GEP gun, leave the dock, get the first crate and crawl to the corner... where there is a plant in the way. Which is a recurring theme: on many places you cannot hide behind the corner anymore, because there's a plant or lamp there now. Hm.

What is this I don't even know. Can someone point out my supposed mistake here?

When crawling around the plant, I immediately get spotted, and the enemy throws a flare in my face. Nice. I run back to the dock to shake them off. Paul and the bot start shooting. They even run up the ramp and come back a minute or so later. And most enemies are dead. I walk to Headquarters, and see more dead bodies everywhere. Yep, half the enemies of this level are now gone. That's some impressive aggro range.

Firstly, that's hyperbole. There's ~30 enemies on that map and at most five or six died from the immediate area in that firefight. Secondly yes, aggro range is greater on higher difficulty levels. Still not totally realistic levels but more realistic and challenging than vanilla. Don't like the so-called "artificial difficulty" this provides, play on a lower level.

Anyway, when the bot is destroyed by using up all my ammo on it, it's time to get some more healing from the medbot in the container. But, it's empty! Grr! Ok, let's restart on medium difficulty, because I guess that was a feature from realistic and hardcore. But, after repeating the above (and shrugging off most of the bullet hits), it is still empty after two uses. Bah. Ah, well, another reason why you should sneak around everyone and only use weapons that don't use ammo.

Are you sure you're playing the right mod? Then again I wouldn't put it past you to have shot directly at the door and thus blowing the bot up in the process.

20hvvbn.jpg

Ok, I've got a GEP gun, let's take out the security bot at the entrance of the statue. Although... I cannot. The GEP gun has no scope and no tracking, so I am totally incapable of hitting the bot with it. Bummer. One more useless ranged weapon.

In the vanilla game did it come with a scope by default? No. It did come with lock-on tracking, yet this comment implies all guns are useless as they don't have tracking in that case, as it works the same as all other guns. It also has laser guidance and remote steering once you mod it. "Useless" apparently. Maybe I should restore lock-on tracking in the easier difficulties for the tards.

And btw, I think restricting the amount of food and drinks to just a few is stupid as well. Yes, you can get probably 30-50 hitpoints by eating and drinking everything there is in a level, so I understand that it is totally OP. Not.

Why is it stupid? You left that out aside from the assumption I added this semi-realistic game system solely because I perceived it to be OP.

Ok, there's a few enemies left between me and the dock at the other side, so I take them down (shoot one with a tranquilizer dart and take out the other(s) when they come running). And I cannot find the one with the sniper rifle. Hm. How did I miss that one? Ok, restart and try again, this time on realistic again. And, after repeating the above, I'm sure the NSF guy that normally has the rifle, now has a pistol. Grr. Ok, well, they're not that useful anyway, with the severe ammo shortage. But I really like being a sniper!

Then you should have picked the sniper from Paul, else you have to wait till the warehouse district. That's the point. C&C.

Ok, so I took a break, downloaded the SDK, puzzled a bit to have it work with GMDX and started fixing the things I didn't like. And noticed that you change a lot of things in code everywhere. So, I changed the classes for the ammo and such, but had to find the places in the code which override it.

Charming.

// Ok, first take care of grenades, we want random 1-4
// Now other ammo (NOT grenades), give them 1-4 random
// For grenades, we want just 1
// And now the grenades: I hate special cases!
// I really hate special cases!
// Did I say I hate special cases?
// I *REALLY* hate special cases!

The complaining of special cases in particular is vanilla. Consider that GMDX is also built on top of HDTP and vanilla. I rarely comment myself, something I'm trying to get into the habit of doing more. When I do comment, it's only relevant information. I never complain in comments because I enjoy coding and it's just a waste of time to do so.

Well, at least this assumption isn't totally unfounded. I'm not sure if programming is for me either as I'm not so good with higher levels of math, but I certainly don't think games criticism is for you. Fact check before you spew baseless bullshit. There's a reason this mod is universally loved here.

But it's why I don't like DX:HR as well: while, technically, you can play in multiple ways, realistically the game/mod goes a long way discouraging anything but stealth play with only non-lethal take downs.

And while I do like to play that way as well, I don't like that all the time. Sometimes I just want to blow everything and everyone up. Or, especially on rooftops, snipe everyone from afar. But mostly, I like that I can do whatever I feel like at that moment. I often do at least one level guns-blazing as well, after I got the bullet protection aug. And yes, I did play it once non-lethal (except Anna). But I played it more than fifteen times, so I try to take a new approach each time/level/situation.

What if I told you that my preferred playstyle is combat and I designed the mod to cater to myself first and foremost? Stealth players: don't let that dissuade you. As a designer everyone has a preference, and I did everything in my power to make a better stealth experience.

So no, you're not forced to play my way. Non-lethal, stealth, combat, it's all still viable. Every style on the highest difficulty has been beaten. The minute details only get a little more restrictive on hardcore mode, but even then all playstyles are still viable. The only "playstyle" that was removed was the "spam the same gun ad-infinitum playstyle" due to a little less ammo overall. You've got to mix it up.

Yes, as I said, I do like the mod, mostly.

Well keep playing it and the more experience you get with it the more incorrect and presumptuous you'll realize you have been. I'm open to criticism with basis, not this garbage.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom