Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Ash

Arcane
New translator is on board for German. Now we will have GMDX available in four languages:

English
French
German
Russian

Nearly covering all the languages DX was officially covered by.

DraQ

Arcane
And now for something completely different:

In real life, the kinetic energy transferred by various weapons (best case) is like:

Wrist crossbow: 50 Joule, but good penetration. In game: 25.
10MM pistol: 800 Joule. In game: 8 or 11.
7.62x51 NATO bullet: 3300 Joule. In game: 3. (!) (Although .223 would be a more realistic caliber, which is 1000-1900 Joule, depending. Still stupid, though.)
30.06 bullet: 4000 Joule. In game: 28.

That's why I tend to mod that.

So you modded it to make the assault gun deal 20 odd damage rather than 3? Realism should not take priority over gameplay, only be the elastic basis for it in a game like this. Those values are as they are for a reason e.g stealth pistol does less damage than the normal pistol despite using the same caliber ammunition for balancing and meaningful choice.
Simplest fix would be to replace name and description of 7.62 with some sort of newfangled flechette stuff and maybe use crossbow purely for delivery of funky, non-kinetic ammo.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Simplest fix would be to replace name and description of 7.62 with some sort of newfangled flechette stuff and maybe use crossbow purely for delivery of funky, non-kinetic ammo.

For flechette, you might want to look that up the intermediate stuff, mostly 5.7, as that is the most effective.

Otherwise, you're talking shotgun calibers.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Is this mod the best in terms of graphical overhaul?

Or is the revision mod better in that regard? I'm seeking the absolute most beautiful mod for DX1.

I've heard about something like HTPH? or whatever its called and the new vision? Are those incorporated into the GMDX mod?

---

Arcane
New Vision and HDTP (not HTPH) are both included in GMDX :)
New Vision is for textures and the environments in general, while HDTP improves weapons and NPCs models (though it's not reccomended to enable the new NPCs models, since a lot of them are buggy and are not very well realized, esthetically speaking).

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Alright, thanks. What about sweetFX or enb / direct x 10 renderer? I've read some people use the Kentie1? direct x 10 renderer with some sweet fx added on. A few vids on youtube, looks pretty great.

Is this compatible with the HDTP and New Vision stuff? Or what?

Oh another question: Can I just install GMDX v8 on top of the GOTY Deus Ex edition from steam/GOG? And everything should work? or do I need to install some patches or some shit?

Ash

Arcane
Bundled within is the DX10 renderer, In addition to HDTP and New Vision. ENB was omitted because in Deus Ex's case it isn't very good. GMDX itself makes the game look better by addressing things that all the above mods didn't cover, like higher res explosions, new augmentation effects, improved gore, and subtle level design detail while attempting to remain faithful to original design.

Intinium said:
Oh another question: Can I just install GMDX v8 on top of the GOTY Deus Ex edition from steam/GOG? And everything should work? or do I need to install some patches or some shit?

Yes. Just download GMDXv8.0 full and you'll get GMDX, HDTP, New Vision, DX10, and Kenties Launcher.

Follow the Installation Guide. You simply follow the four steps, and then you're done and ready to play with all the mods installed as one. Quick and easy.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Wow! I just fired it up to try it out. Holy shit does the game look amazing from what I remember back in what? 1997? using my old card for software renderer !

Final question: The direct x 10 support renderer, is that on by default when I run the GMDX shortcut, or do I havce to manually select the renderer beforehand?

Ash

Arcane
Wow! I just fired it up to try it out. Holy shit does the game look amazing from what I remember back in what? 1997? using my old card for software renderer !

Final question: The direct x 10 support renderer, is that on by default when I run the GMDX shortcut, or do I have to manually select the renderer beforehand?

Enabled by default.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Given that the vanilla stylization for the stats window in the inventory is basically just a plain text list of stats (albeit neatly formatted), and considering that I'm not a texture artist despite giving it a try to make some of those aesthetics, and given that, of course, this mod is all about fitting in to the original design, I'll probably just go for plain text and closely match the formatting of that in the inventory shot above, and scrap everything else. Knowing when to scrap shit makes for good design.

But there's two positive responses and one neutral, so maybe it is worth keeping...I don't know :/

Maybe I'll keep the status bars and blend it with style 1. It's the display in the middle I don't like, but that's mostly because I don't think it matches the font and there's unnecessary spacing.
Instead of bars, which give the appearance of a continuum but actually represent discrete integer values, you could give us pips. That way we can compare the absolute difference between stat values , not just relative values which a status bar gives you.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, I installed GMDX, and got errors on launch - d2d10.dll not found.
Do I need something better then my old GT8600, or just need that .dll?
If first - is there a way to play with old gt8600?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes, I did all that. Version was 1.112fm, also game was on disc, burned for me years ago.
Maybe I should try to install another DX.
"As indication GMDX is installed properly the main menu will display "GMDXv8.0"." - my game's version 1.112 fm GMDX 8.0

So, my first step - change renderer, second - install dx10 renderer, third - reinstall.

Thanks!

Hm, :oops: what is shortcut? :D Seriously.

The renderer requires Windows Vista or later; it works fine on DirectX 11 systems.
Well, I'm on XP. )))
So - no?

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Well, switch to openGL or DX9 renderer in that case.

You need to run GMDX from either the desktop start menu or the (optionally installed) shortcut.

Ash

Arcane
rjmki0.jpg

I suppose I should add this to the installation guide for clarity.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I did switch to DX9 renderer, although not from shortcut (don't know how to do that), but from ingame menu - this had an unexpected effect.
Game launched perfectly, but - there were no signs of GMDX in menu, instead in settings was HDTP, in game HUD-bar that include all options such as augs and inventory has Skills\perks, but when you pick it, inside it has only skills, all skills are original DX skills, button "perks" below is mising.
also on start you can choose difficulty "Hardcore". In game both Dentons has new models, in menu usual 1.112fm.
Looks like GMDX is turning off because of lack of Dx10 renderer.

Ash

Arcane
Nope. you just have to launch the game as instructed in the image above. If you don't have the desktop shortcut (red arrow and text), look in the start menu (yellow arrow and text) and it'll be there.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The problem that when I start from red arrow shortcut (can I call it desctop icon?) I do get GMDX, which is obvious from main menu.
But then I need to switch to different rendrer from in-game menu - something like Settings--->Display--->Change Renderer.
This brings me back to the desktop, where I picking up different renderer, and then start game from same launcher where I picked renderer.
This lead to launch with only HDTP activated.
If I choose not to run game from menu with renderers, then all is repeated.
So, maybe change from desctop icon needed?
Or I'll try to unpack and put d3d10drv-v29 into system folder of game. )) ---------> this didn't work.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Find gmdx.ini
Open it
Under "[Engine.Engine]"

change the renderer like so: GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Then save the file.

That will change the renderer to OpenGL.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Ash thanks a lot man, already playing and exploring!
There is only one problem - all textures are like soap that going through soap, and it see is soap, soap, soap!
What if I'll try to start with different defauld renderer, or only this works?

And even more important question, if GMDX 9.0 is close to release by any chance, so I can wait a little and experience the full force of GMDX? )

Edit - I hurried - that was just settings of renderer. )

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
GMDX v9.0 isn't coming for a long, long time.

Edit - I hurried - that was just settings of renderer. )

So textures no longer look like soap soap soap, whatever that means?

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, they looks normal (also after some time some lagging start, but I'll exlore this tomorrow).
Soap going through a soap, and all it see is soap, soap, soap! )
Just local Russian mem
(based on old tongue-twister) when
Rode Greek across the river.
Sees Greek in the river cancer.
Put the Greek hand into the river
Cancer Greek's hand - GRAB!
(part machine translation, last line is mine)
mem is reduced to
X went-rode through X and [then] X put X in X - X X X X!
Use any word for your pleasure!

Ash

Arcane
Heh.

Glad you got things sorted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom