Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

HansDampf

Arcane
That's indeed v7.
But I've also played v8, and the UI looked the same.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah sorry, my response was not relevant to the point you were making, I was just making an observation.

Ash

Arcane
"I heard there are some UI mods... is there any chance of them being implemented?"

I may be adding support for something like that down the line, if it is possible.

For now, the only option is to disable the OtpFix/Non-scaling UI, and if that doesn't work, lower your res to 1366x768.

how do I setup OtpFix?

Ah right, what you want to do is disable OTPFix, as what otpfix does is stop the UI textures scaling with game resolution altogether, resulting in a tiny UI at high game resolutions.

To do that:

If you have Kenties Launcher, just check the "default GUI" option in the "configure" menu. If you don't have Kenties Launcher, open up GMDX.ini (found in DeusEx\GMDX\System) and under [Engine.Engine] change

RootWindow=OtpFix (or whatever)

to

RootWindow=DeusEx.DeusExRootWindow

Then save the file.

Divinity: Original Sin
Ah right, what you want to do is disable OTPFix, as what otpfix does is stop the UI textures scaling with screen resolution altogether, resulting in a tiny UI at high screen resolutions.

To do that:

If you have Kenties Launcher, just check the "default GUI" option in the "configure" menu. If you don't have Kenties Launcher, open up GMDX.ini and under [Engine.Engine] change

RootWindow=OtpFix (or whatever)

to

RootWindow=DeusEx.DeusExrootWindow

Then save the file.

It worked and looked exactly like HansDampf picture from above. Well, i actually don't think it's that big, it feels like the ideal size.

Only minus is that they're kind of low-res, and the icons are a little pixelated. But it doesn't bother me at all.

But it would be nice if it was compatible with the UI icons and graphics from this mod:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/unified-deus-ex

Ash

Arcane
Yeah maybe. It's a lot of tedious work though. The developer of the mod had done exactly what I mentioned above and recreated all the textures and adjusted all the values...and went and made it compatible with Shifter and Biomod. I specifically told him he should develop for GMDX, but of course like most people, he hadn't played it and presumed shifter and Biomod were where it was at. Shit like this is why people need to be spreading the word about GMDX, as it is the most faithful (aside from purist patch mods or whatever), most forward-thinking and most comprehensive DX campaign mod available, and I have no intention of sucking Square's dick and selling out to be able to attain the exposure the mod deserves and that would garner it more tech/development support. And I'm not spending too much time on marketing either, because I'd rather spend that time on the game.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Soon. Real soon. Be sure to spread the word. It's up to the fans to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Cassar

Savant

He mentions your mod at the end.

And the obligatory neofag comment:

"I've tried playing the game a while ago before the official mod was released, but it really hadn't aged well at all. It really felt janky and it just didn't work well at all. I'm still intending to play and finish the game some day now that the mod is out. But I can understand if people who never played it sixteen years saying it's not nearly as good as it is. It's a product of its time and just jumping back onto it all these years later just doesn't do something justice."

"Sometime i wish there was a mod to put the gamepad controls on the pc just to see how it feels playing this masterpiece with a controller."

Whenever i have to see yet again the "hasnt aged well/feels janky" shit i lose a year of my life

Ash

Arcane
Cassar said:
Whenever i have to see yet again the "hasnt aged well/feels janky" shit i lose a year of my life

There's plenty of those type of comments over on the Deus Ex subreddit too.

Sorry to cut your life further short, but:

"I was able to get to Paris until I gave up. The game feels outdated and you cant stealth play like in HR and MD."

He got that far but it still didn't click? I guess you can just assume he was playing Revision, which was thousands of people's introduction to the original Deus Ex.

HansDampf

Arcane
"you cant stealth play like in HR"
Translation: "I suck at stealth."
In DX You can't automatically stick to chest-high walls and become effectively invisible like in HR. The third-person view makes it even worse, since you can see your own body. Happens so often that your leg is sticking out and the guard should be able to see it but doesn't. Then you jump from one chest-high wall to the next right in front of his eyes, and he won't notice that either. Very stealthy.

I hate these "nostalgia" arguments.

Ash

Arcane
Aww, it's really nice when people send you fan mail and heartfelt thanks. Almost makes the invisible struggle against the decline and its enablers worth it.

HansDampf said:

There's no nostalgia involved when we're right here playing/modding/comparing it. Deus Ex is still one of the most superior games ever made, and GMDX is here to make sure it stays that way for good.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I thought the game was just fine, like it wasn't 'janky' or whatever the fuck these people want to call it. Yeah, maybe the models are low poly compared to now a days, but I had a great time and wasn't ever 'unimmersed'.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"you cant stealth play like in HR"
Translation: "I suck at stealth."
In DX You can't automatically stick to chest-high walls and become effectively invisible like in HR. The third-person view makes it even worse, since you can see your own body. Happens so often that your leg is sticking out and the guard should be able to see it but doesn't. Then you jump from one chest-high wall to the next right in front of his eyes, and he won't notice that either. Very stealthy.

I think you skipped the most important part: which is wallhacks. In the new games you have a radar that constantly displays all enemy and camera positions (with sight cones if you upgraded), and in cover full perfect 360 degree vision around walls and shit.

Compare to deus ex, where if you want to see where the enemy is, you have to lean out and risk getting spotted.

I thought the game was just fine, like it wasn't 'janky' or whatever the fuck these people want to call it. Yeah, maybe the models are low poly compared to now a days, but I had a great time and wasn't ever 'unimmersed'.

I don't mind the low poly characters, but i hate the HDTP character models, they're ugly, abominations. Look gfood in picture but horribly animated. The only problem with vanilla characters is when they're in close up, they're blurry as hell on modern computers (like the zoom in the eye of Bob Page in the intro). They still look good at about 1 meter away, even in conversations.

Which actually makes me think why New Vision didn't remade the characters' textures... or anyone else for that matter. is that really difficult?

Ash

Arcane
Which actually makes me think why New Vision didn't remade the characters' textures... or anyone else for that matter. is that really difficult?

Well, yes, but still doable, you just need the people with the interest to begin with. The Deus Ex modding community is basically dead aside from myself and a couple others. It seems digital artists aren't drawn to Deus Ex to begin with, which perhaps makes sense as the game was not pretty even for its time and had a psuedo-realist art style, so I guess it just didn't attract many of those characters. Meanwhile Morrowind has had a complete face lift three times over.

There's also the problem of hi-res textures on low-poly human models would look laughable. So you need to redo the models too. Redoing the models also means redoing the animations with it. Then there's the issue of making each and every one of those characters with a consistent art style like a professional...it's a huge undertaking. Doable, but you need the right conditions to be met, which they aren't and probably never will be, but oh well, they're OK as they are, even if they stand out a little compared to the other updated elements of the game.

Jaedar said:
I think you skipped the most important part: which is wallhacks. In the new games you have a radar that constantly displays all enemy and camera positions (with sight cones if you upgraded), and in cover full perfect 360 degree vision around walls and shit.

Compare to deus ex, where if you want to see where the enemy is, you have to lean out and risk getting spotted.

Third person cover, ever-regenerating invisibility, ridiculous takedowns, no light-based stealth, radar by default, vision aug just in case third person cover and the radar and the infinite invisibility wasn't enough...worst stealth gameplay ever. Popamole stealth games usually have these elements, but not ALL bundled in one, and they make sense in the context of the game, e.g cover system in a third person game, not a fucking first person (non) Immersive Sim. Combat isn't much better either.

But all in all HR is alright for what it is. By all means other game series have seen worse treatment. It's still considerable decline and a butchery of the series, but the series was already butchered with Invisible War anyway.

Last edited:
There's also the problem of hi-res textures on low-poly human models would look laughable. So you need to redo the models too. Redoing the models also means redoing the animations with it. Then there's the issue of making each and every one of those characters with a consistent art style like a professional...it's a huge undertaking. Doable, but you need the right conditions to be met, which they aren't and probably never will be, but oh well, they're OK as they are, even if they stand out a little compared to the other updated elements of the game.

The problem is that nowadays, people use HUGE high res updated textures. I don't like the Thief HD retexture project because of this: it has textures with resolutions that would fit games like Crysis or whatever. Textures are ultra sharp.

The Deus ex update would have just 2 times or 3 times the original resolution. New Vision textures don't feel out of place like the thief HD ones.

Cassar

Savant
Someone from that topic with the DF video somehow understood the situation like so:

The PS2 version always proved that the design changes they made for Invisible War weren't due to console or controller limitations, because as pointed out here, the ps2 version wasn't dumbed down in the slightest. Yes PC gamers blamed consoles anyway.

How the fuck does someone come up with that? The chopped up, rearranged levels and three quarters of its gameplay and systems eliminated is proof that shit pads and no power werent at fault here? Its a game designed specifically for mouse and keyboard. Hamfisting everything into a tool with no pointer and very few buttons can only get you so far. Especially at the time. They didn't yet get so creative at working with a controllers limits as today. But even today, Mankind Divided seems to be at the very top of what you can do on a pad. I've seen lots of people having trouble with its control schemes on consoles.

Then someone is asking today what the future of the franchise is:

Deus Ex is regarded as one of the best PC games ever. Yet, it is extremely dated now and is unlikely to be played by new players. Most players now associate Deus Ex with Human Revolution and Adam Jensen. I actually tried to play Deus Ex this year but thought the gameplay was horrible. Graphics didn't even bother me.

I think HR and MD being strict prequels to the original is to the detriment of the franchise as a whole. It extremely limits the scope of what the devs and the writes can do with the games because any game set before DE has to match that game's story.

Adam Jensen is getting too important and larger than life to actually not be relevant when DE comes.

I think, for the benefit of the whole franchise, the devs should either end up remaking the original ( a very dangerous endeavor though) to allow new players to enjoy that story and setting or just disregard it and consider the HR/MD storyline as a pure reboot.

I think it's pointless to be so limited by a 15 year old game that's not relevant to most players nowadays

I really dont know what the fuck is wrong with people today. How can they boot up one of the finest gaming creations in history and understand jack shit about it? How can they stand before such greatness and excellence and all they get is dated and jank ? What the fuck are they even talking about ? Wheres the jank ? And whats dated? You move with the same WSAD and mouse look as games today. Are these morons overwhelmed about the freedom and lack of clear direction? Do they really need the fucking arrow in the middle of the screen. If they dont have an orgasm from the menu of the game and need to peel some gameplay layers its dated and slow? Jesus Christ

---

Arcane
Lol, "dated".
I am quite young (21 years old) and I played it for the first time two years ago, but I was still able to enjoy it immensely, and in fact now I consider it one of my favourite games.
Fuck them.

EDIT: sorry, didn't read well. He doesn't say "dated", he says "extremely dated".

. . . . .

JARkimA.gif

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I find control (sticky cover sux) and shooting in HR more cluncky and awkward. More than DE1. Modern games are still cluncky and awkward in control and throwing shit at old games because they're "dated" make me laugh.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"I think, for the benefit of the whole franchise, the devs should either end up remaking the original ( a very dangerous endeavor though) to allow new players to enjoy that story and setting or just disregard it and consider the HR/MD storyline as a pure reboot.

I think it's pointless to be so limited by a 15 year old game that's not relevant to most players nowadays"

Jesus fucking what. I hope this kid suffers brain damage in the near future. He's already half way there. Fucking moron.

Oh and Jensen is a fucking trash gravelly voiced cliche of a character.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, he is kind of right with that point.
The story lines don't really fit together.

And trying to make some weird connection between the games would only end up extremely horrible, screwing things up even more.

So I'd agree it is probably best to view the new games as a reboot.

At least they don't have numbers in the title like FO3 does...
Hard to justify the reboot theory there ;)

Cassar

Savant
It just feels dated. I don't know how to explain it. Feedback is bad, animations are bad. Both melee and range fights are unsatisfying. I don't like the hud, the menus, the controls etc.

all of the core mechanics in DX1 except for the leveling up / augs are bad. As a first person melee game, it's bad. As a first person shooter, it's atrocious. As a stealth game, it's poor. Hacking, multitools and lock picking are all non-interactive, just waiting for bars to fill up. It's certainly not a game salvaged by its presentation, what with graphics that were underwhelming on release and some of the worst voice acting of all time.

Deus Ex 1's strengths lay in it's level design and the degree of reactivity programmed into the story and quests, both of which are top tier to this day. But if not for those things, it would be a genuinely bad game.

:negative:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Gonna give this a whirl once I'm done with MD, excited to be playing this old gem again with the mod, and I'm probably gonna get my ass handed to me, from all the handholding gameplay in the prequels, but I love it ! :F

Riskbreaker

Don't read GAF threads on older PC games, folks. They be extremely sanity-damaging.

This reminded me of something, it did. Ya guys remember those random "noob" NPCs from TNM? They were prone to repeating how PS2 port is "obviously" superior to original PC version. :lol:
Good times.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom