Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Gnidrologist vs CyberP on Deus Ex

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
OR just have fucking first person leaning, light-based stealth and decent enough sound systems which is both more realistic and engaging, just like the first game. Not to mention cutting to third person is not intuitive and is anti-simulation design (and lol at you for believing such concepts don't exist).

"I believe my complain (too large field of view) is the only that may takeaway certain amount of challenge and fact that spec-op guys or even cops usually hug walls before ambushing foes instead of simply squatting near them kinda tells the story on it's own."

You can have wall-hugging animations in First Person too. Hell, they are already in my DX1 "sperg" mod.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
OR just have fucking first person leaning, light-based stealth and decent enough sound systems which is both more realistic and engaging
You do know that spec-ops are not Garrett or D&D rogues, who use ''shadows'' to stealth. They sometimes they need to operate in daylight too. Especially DX, where there are no medieval castles with only candle lights illuminating small areas, but huge industrial well lit compounds, where you can't just ''turn the lights off''. And sound is important in HR just like in any other stealth game. First person leaning, that's fine.
Not to mention cutting to third person is not intuitive and is anti-simulation design
Well that is bullshit. Maybe you should improve your intuition?
I would go even further and say that stealth games are more intuitive from pure 3dperson to begin with. It's harder to asses your positioning towards foe, when you never see your own body and lack spatial awareness because of that. ''Simulationism'' can go fuck itself. Maybe we need Jensen to take a dump from time to time in those fancy toilet bowls too?
You can have wall-hugging animations in First Person too. Hell, they are already in my DX1 "sperg" mod.
Then i applaud you. You done well.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Deus Ex is not a shooter. That is incorrect. It's an Action-RPG immersive sim with shooter elements.
Second, blue is far more appealing to the human eyes than garbage like piss filter which is used in every game nowadays.
HR doesn't have that much C&C at all. Replay it 3-5 times and you'll get the most out of it. While on the other hand, the original Deus Ex has a lot of content and no other game has came close to it.
Deus Ex level design is god-tier, not sure why you dislike it. Plot is great, as well.
HR is too easy (even on harder difficulty) if you ask me, you can use grenades to kill bosses in less than <10 seconds; it doesn't matter.
XP system in HR is shit. It shouldn't be there at all. By the end of Singapore, you get 95% of the augmentations (in Director's Cut) if you are a completionist and most of the useless augs are just put 'there' to keep the player invested.

HR is just in the same boat as IW. Had it came out shortly after IW, it would not have got the praise. Both games though, IW and HR, will be forgotten in a few years while the original Deus Ex will still be remembered decades later as the best game of all time.
You simply repeated what Typical Modder did. Bullshit, fallacies and personal preferences presented as fact.

HR is also not a shooter, but it actually plays lot better as one if you want to. Not so much with DX.
Your personal color appeal has nothing to do with objective facts.
DX has ONE meaningful C&C moment in the whole game - killing or saving Paul, which isn't even that significant to begin with. Everything else is ''women bathroom'' tier.
HR levels aren't that much worse than DX. You should be more specific, if you want to convince me otherwise. They are large, with many paths for all sorts of play styles.
HR is MUCH harder on medium than DX. I can't tell about ''Give me Deus Ex yet''.
Plot is a matter of taste. I see no difference between two. Both are bunch of cheap intermingled conspiracy spy things with a lot of ideological/political/philosophical fluff in between.
I can only agree with you about XP system, but then again there was nothing special about it in DX either. Augs were all the rage anyway. XP was only needed to rise your pistol/hacking skills.

I DON'T dislike DX. Where the fuck did you get that from? The reason i like HR to begin with is that it plays very similarly to it.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Urgh, this guy. You may have to be the first person I ever use forum ignore functionality on because I just can't listen to your inanities and want to waste time ripping into every single illogical invalid point whilst ending every paragraph calling you out as a fucking retard you are.

And seriously guys, wtf is with this "Everything is blue" misconception. I think that is irritating me the most. Stop it. Now. Of the 70+ maps in Deus Ex, only two have strong use of the color blue (both of which are in Paris). If anything the browns and grays of NYC is what you see the most overall, on average. And GUESS WHAT, it is all appropriate use of colors, not a spaztacular piss show.
Maps aside, all text & UI elements use a color scheme that is determined by the player (default: white and gray), and all objects of the game world use appropriate colors too.

The game doesn't look anything like this. That's just the box art.
STOP.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
OR just have fucking first person leaning, light-based stealth and decent enough sound systems which is both more realistic and engaging
You do know that spec-ops are not Garrett or D&D rogues, who use ''shadows'' to stealth. They sometimes they need to operate in daylight too. Especially DX, where there are no medieval castles with only candle lights illuminating small areas, but huge industrial well lit compounds, where you can't just ''turn the lights off''. And sound is important in HR just like in any other stealth game. First person leaning, that's fine.
Not to mention cutting to third person is not intuitive and is anti-simulation design
Well that is bullshit. Maybe you should improve your intuition?
I would go even further and say that stealth games are more intuitive from pure 3dperson to begin with. It's harder to asses your positioning towards foe, when you never see your own body and lack spatial awareness because of that. ''Simulationism'' can go fuck itself. Maybe we need Jensen to take a dump from time to time in those fancy toilet bowls too?
Then i applaud you. You done well.
HR dev team detected

EDIT: Echo Mirage AlexOfSpades

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"It's harder to asses your positioning towards foe, when you never see your own body and lack spatial awareness because of that."

This would be a valid point if full body awareness wasn't a thing that a number of FP games feature (sadly not DX though. Maybe I can rectify that one day).

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
HR is just in the same boat as IW. Had it came out shortly after IW, it would not have got the praise. Both games though, IW and HR, will be forgotten in a few years while the original Deus Ex will still be remembered decades later as the best game of all time.

Well, it's been over a decade since IW and you're still talking about it...

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Look, Gnidrologist, I've been flipping out at you, and have been somewhat justified in doing so because the shit you say is...but I'm not being personal here. Just wanted you to know. I'm clearly just tired of the global decline and its enablers.

You've been here since 2005? Hand in your monocle. It's confiscated as it obviously isn't helping your perspective at all. :obviously:

And by the way, that "spergmod" is design advancement this game series has deserved but has not received since 2000.

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Look, Gnidrologist, I've been flipping out at you, and have been somewhat justified in doing so because the shit you say is...but I'm not being personal here. Just wanted you to know. I'm clearly just tired of the global decline and its enablers.

You've been here since 2005? Hand in your monocle. It's confiscated as it obviously isn't helping your perspective at all. :obviously:

And by the way, that "spergmod" is design advancement this game series has deserved but has not received since 2000.
I'm not holding that against you. I know many people are jaded and i'm too about lot of moderntardo in gaming, but in this case YOU DID made several false statements and are also way too biased (because of nostalgia, probably) about thing that are rather irrelevant. Like piss filter or that ''plot in DX was great'', which is patent bs or at least a matter of taste. I never liked the blue and grey shit filter of DX and plot in it was beyond stupid. Like B movie stupid, but it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed. Also you ignored the fact that you can play HR in the oldschool way without using popamole and cinematic takedowns.

HR along with NV are first A+ titles in 10 years i've thoroughly enjoyed even knowing they have SOME flaws. But neither they are as bad as some make them out and neither were old titles as good as some people want to pretend. Casein point, many are butthurt about gambryo engine, its shitty combat, while forgetting that in original fallouts combat was just as shitty, just in different ways. Some even claim that NV looks bad, while in reality it's very pretty and atmospheric game, just like isometric fallouts.

I dunno, maybe i've gone more casual while getting older, but i can't piss my pants from anger about the miniscule flaws that these otherwise great games have, especially given that all the old titles that Codex oldfags, including me, adore, had so many shitty design decisions, that if they came out today, you would probably diss them too. I recon the meat of Codex are +/-30 year olds and all the sweet experiences of childhood simply sweep away anything good that may be created today, especially given the 10 years of gaming apocalypse we had since 2004.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Sigh. Last time.

YOU DID made several false statements

:roll:

and are also way too biased (because of nostalgia, probably) about thing that are rather irrelevant.

Dude, the whole game consists of popamole design combined with DX concepts...see the run down on the cutscene takedowns? I could do the same for a notable quantity of the game.

Like piss filter or that ''plot in DX was great'', which is patent bs or at least a matter of taste.

Peasant tastes vs refined sharp-eyed monocle-ism.

I never liked the blue and grey shit filter of DX

STOP, little troll.

Also you ignored the fact that you can play HR in the oldschool way without using popamole and cinematic takedowns.

The whole game is built of modern bastardized popamolish principles. For everything they got right there's something they got wrong or just bastardized.
As for playing it old school, no I can't. The old school way would have melee weapons, it would have sneak attack takedowns, and it would have first person leaning...with respect to those gameplay elements you list alone.

HR along with NV are first A+ titles I've played in ten years

So you've been playing garbage for the past ten years...definitely explains your perspective then.
You like NV, so you're not totally hopeless. HR is just not in its league. There's so many major mistakes & only about half of the content of NV.

Casein point, many are butthurt about gambryo engine, its shitty combat, while forgetting that in original fallouts combat was just as shitty, just in different ways.

FO1 - New Vegas is notable incline. By making it a FP Immersive Sim of sorts you open up a whole new dimension of gameplay depth, literally. FO1 didn't even make use of the advantages of the isometric perspective, such as being able to view and control wide-scale party based combat. Indeed FO1's combat was derp. NV's isn't much better.
Sadly, New Vegas is too easy and it has a couple of major derp design decisions (VATS), but other than that it qualifies as a classic. HR does not.

I dunno, maybe i've gone more casual while getting older, but i can't piss my pants from anger about the miniscule flaws that these otherwise great games have, especially given that all the old titles that Codex oldfags, including me, adore, had so many shitty design decisions

HR has both major and minor flaws, paragraphs of them both plain objective and monocled subjective.
You're right in that the older games almost always have problems, especially DX1, yet it doesn't reach the same standard of imperfection because the imperfections of DX1 is in the finer details, the fine trimmings. The imperfections of HR is in both its core and the finer details.

that if they came out today, you would probably diss them too. I recon the meat of Codex are +/-30 year olds and all the sweet experiences of childhood simply sweep away anything good that may be created today, especially given the 10 years of gaming apocalypse we had since 2004.

Truth is that garbage is the standard now. 10 years of gaming apocalypse? That's still on going, didn't you get the memo? Get back in the vault.

Last edited:

Gozma

Arcane
You guys are really overrating DX1's story and writing.

Level design was top notch however, while HR was just "ok" which in the context of modern games seems very good.

I basically agree, but every once in a while DX1 took some time out to be really fucking smart, like that conversation with Morpheus.

OTOH HR sometimes took time out to have some good naturalistic stuff, like the "dialog battle" with Seraph.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Incline is a lie, there is only popamole.
Through popamole, I gain hate.
Through hate, I gain butthurt.
Through butthurt, I make floodposts.
Through floodposts, my brofists are rising,
Thus making me the Monocled One.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Deus Ex doesn't withstand scrutiny if you analyze its components one by one. It's truly a miracle of game design to end up with a game so good when its individual parts are average at best.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
There are no miracles, rather intentional design synergy. And many of its components do stand up tall. Yes there's many that do not, but again, it is mostly the little details, those of which can easily be fixed. To "fix" and perfect Popamole Revolution, well I don't think it can be adequately done without changing the game into something it is not (but should be).

Degrees of subjectivity be damned. My monocle is precise. We all here know shit like cutscene Takedowns is impure.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
HR is also not a shooter, but it actually plays lot better as one if you want to. Not so much with DX.

Not really, most weapons are pea shooters compared to upgraded 10mm pistol or not supported by level design (sniper rifle). DX1 weapons packed more punch, had multiple uses in some cases (sniper rifle, GEP gun, DTS), included melee weapons and even some non-traditional rarely seen stuff in games like pepper spray.

Your personal color appeal has nothing to do with objective facts.

Taste is subjective but first DX didn't have a filter, don't see why you claim it did.

DX has ONE meaningful C&C moment in the whole game - killing or saving Paul, which isn't even that significant to begin with. Everything else is ''women bathroom'' tier.

DX's strength was never in traditional C&C but in great amount of reactivity. That said, HR is decent in that regard as well and quite similar overall (I loved when they wrote about my Terminator like massacre of the police station).

HR levels aren't that much worse than DX. You should be more specific, if you want to convince me otherwise. They are large, with many paths for all sorts of play styles.

They are much worse than DX actually. Much smaller individual areas (blame consoles/engine), very formulaic/gamey design with clear aug (strength, gas and EMP protection) and stealth pathway (usually all within few feet from one another) unlike the original's levels that are organic, built like actual locations that you tackle in whichever way you want.

Of modern games Dishonored is the only game that has DX like level design, HR is more like Splinter Cell if anything. Of course it's still miles better in that regard than the vast majority of modern games but that's akin to being the tallest midget.

HR is MUCH harder on medium than DX. I can't tell about ''Give me Deus Ex yet''.

HR is probably the easiest stealth game I've ever played. A consequence of levels being designed around that element of the game, like stealth arenas of sorts with all that conveniently placed cover for you to glue on and guard patrol routes that always seem to stop short of that corner you're hugging.

Plot is a matter of taste. I see no difference between two. Both are bunch of cheap intermingled conspiracy spy things with a lot of ideological/political/philosophical fluff in between.

IMO they both have nailed that Cyberpunk vibe but DX is more campy, conspiracy, X-Files/shadow goverment stuff while HR is more about social issues and consequences of augmentations. Both are decently done for videogame standards but I prefer the former.

One excellent addition in HR is dialogue battles though, I think more of them should have required Casie aug to win but still, always great to see devs innovate.

I can only agree with you about XP system, but then again there was nothing special about it in DX either. Augs were all the rage anyway. XP was only needed to rise your pistol/hacking skills.

XP system in HR was retarded for such a type of game, no ifs and buts about it. From having no reason to use your arm blades ever to rewarding hacking door panels/computers you have a code/password for, it rewards a specific playing style which is a terrible design decision for a DX game.

Skill system in DX is very flawed of course but it still does a good job of conveying character progression and affects gameplay in noticeable ways (instead of just being +10% damage usual action RPG crap). Also aug system in DX1 is more developed, offers more choice in character customization, rewards exploration and is more fluidly incorporated into regular gameplay (I played HR several times and I barely used any active Aug except Cloak, didn't really feel that much like a cybernetically enhanced operative).

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
ZagorTeNej
Now that is one well written post that doesn't resolve to personal attacks and although i disagree with a lot of it, i can see where that's cumming (smug) from. Let me give my take on this.
Not really, most weapons are pea shooters compared to upgraded 10mm pistol or not supported by level design (sniper rifle). DX1 weapons packed more punch, had multiple uses in some cases (sniper rifle, GEP gun, DTS), included melee weapons and even some non-traditional rarely seen stuff in games like pepper spray.
I agree that the variety of weapons was greater in DX. The problem is that most of them overlapped each other. Well, if you play stubborn pacifist then prod or batton + arbalest is your choice. In HR it's stun gun (which is basically a melee weapon) and gas rifle for long range unlethal takedown.

If you play a stubborn ghost, but without the pacifist shtick, it adds addition of silenced pistol and sniper rifle.

So basically there's not much difference in this aspect apart of the fact that there are no straight melee weapons in HR except for mounted blades in Jensen's sleeves, which, i think, was why the melee weapons were abolished in the first place.

Btw, fully modded silenced pistol was the best weapon in original DX just as it is in HR. Plus, it has revolver, with explosive rounds, when you don't want to play quietly, which imo is great addition. You can even shoot at wall, where you saw a foe hiding behind to kill him. Was very handy at that chinese tower final ambush battle, where you can't really sneak around anymore, but instead wait for what's coming to you.
Taste is subjective but first DX didn't have a filter, don't see why you claim it did.
''Filter'' is a meaningless word. A lot of games, before all the blooms & shlooms were introduced had very specific colour patern. You either liked it or not. I can't say that bleak grey/blue shit everywhere in DX was bad, because it fitted the setting just like colorful, merry colors of NLO fits its setting, but i don't see how ''piss filter'' in HR is any worse. It also sets certain ''tone'', which one may like or not, but it FITS.
DX's strength was never in traditional C&C but in great amount of reactivity. That said, HR is decent in that regard as well and quite similar overall (I loved when they wrote about my Terminator like massacre of the police station).
Yeah, nice that here we don't fall out. CyberModer though implied that DX had great C&C in comparison to HR. That's just one of several false clams he made.
They are much worse than DX actually. Much smaller individual areas (blame consoles/engine), very formulaic/gamey design with clear aug (strength, gas and EMP protection) and stealth pathway (usually all within few feet from one another) unlike the original's levels that are organic, built like actual locations that you tackle in whichever way you want.
Can agree with that partly. Console limitations are indeed a bitch. This is why a lot of areas feel smaller, when they actually aren't. Because of LOADING SCREENS. The very first area, Detroit, is no smaller than, say, Hong Kong on New York areas in DX, but they feel smaller because of constant need to wait for few load second. This is somewhat artificial complain, but it really affects the overall judgement. Like, remember Gothic 2 had almost 100% seamless world, while Morrowind that came out at the same time, had to load every goddamn shack. It's cosmetic issue, but it says a lot about skill of developers.
Of modern games Dishonored is the only game that has DX like level design, HR is more like Splinter Cell if anything. Of course it's still miles better in that regard than the vast majority of modern games but that's akin to being the tallest midget.
Dishonored is next on my list for another popamole thrler i missed. heard a lot of good words here on Codex, never the less. Never played a single SC game, but enjoyed Hitman series. How do they compare?
(don't mention Thief - i'll probably play it when i'll be 80 years old, pissing in mh pampers.
HR is probably the easiest stealth game I've ever played. A consequence of levels being designed around that element of the game, like stealth arenas of sorts with all that conveniently placed cover for you to glue on and guard patrol routes that always seem to stop short of that corner you're hugging.
Sorry, but this was exactly the same for most, but some of the final parts of DX. You could basically navigate whole levels through vents and behind guards. Which i mainly did in my first run through and it was the easiest one.
IMO they both have nailed that Cyberpunk vibe but DX is more campy, conspiracy, X-Files/shadow goverment stuff while HR is more about social issues and consequences of augmentations. Both are decently done for videogame standards but I prefer the former.
You have to note that HR is depicting the very beginning of all the hoopla, consequences of which was DX1. It's basically happening in OUR time, just 10 years further.
One excellent addition in HR is dialogue battles though, I think more of them should have required Casie aug to win but still, always great to see devs innovate.
Yeah, i regretted not to take that aug right from the beginning. Adds a dimension.
XP system in HR was retarded for such a type of game, no ifs and buts about it. From having no reason to use your arm blades ever to rewarding hacking door panels/computers you have a code/password for, it rewards a specific playing style which is a terrible design decision for a DX game.
You can get almost every passcode from silly info books in original DX. And i know this though i've only played it twice. Common, mang. Vents are your friends.
Skill system in DX is very flawed of course but it still does a good job of conveying character progression and affects gameplay in noticeable ways (instead of just being +10% damage usual action
Could you remind me on this one. I remember not caring about anything but psitol and hacking skill both times i played. Investing into rifles or heavy guns is downright retarded, because game is obviously designed around stealth and hacking shit, while the organic weapons and what was that other skill, were simply for theme characters, who played game 10 times already and wanted to experience something exotic.

Alfons

Prophet
Let's be honest here. If you strip away everything besides the mission levels / areas where you are considered hostile both games are rather mediocre. The original has better level design, better character system, and better items. The shooting, the stealth, and the AI ( which contributes greatly to the shittiness of the shooting and stealth ) are shit in both.

Say what you will about the shittiness of popamoling in HR, but consider this fact: In HR I can take out a huge storage room full of guys by being glued to a wall near a doorway and popping out to shoot them in the head. In DX I can take out an entire building full of guys by being crouched and leaning near a doorway and shooting everyone in the head. So practically speaking, wtf is the difference. In both games running and gunning is a shit option.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Wall of garbage

You don't have any validity on the matter anymore. You utterly fail to perceive the games for what they are. Case in point, the takedowns; you didn't believe there to be any notable differences, "but the animations are p.badass". urgh.
The children of today have an excuse as they have known nothing but the popamole. Poor kids. You as an aged, experienced individual should know better.
I'll expect your monocle by closing time. Make sure to polish it so the next user can actually perceive the decline.

Let's be honest here. If you strip away everything besides the mission levels / areas where you are considered hostile both games are rather mediocre. The original has better level design, better character system, and better items. The shooting, the stealth, and the AI ( which contributes greatly to the shittiness of the shooting and stealth ) are shit in both.

Say what you will about the shittiness of popamoling in HR, but consider this fact: In HR I can take out a huge storage room full of guys by being glued to a wall near a doorway and popping out to shoot them in the head. In DX I can take out an entire building full of guys by being crouched and leaning near a doorway and shooting everyone in the head. So practically speaking, wtf is the difference. In both games running and gunning is a shit option.

No Alfons. Not you too.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
arg-turkey-gobble-gobble-gobble-bg-207x165-url.gif

Alfons

Prophet
No Alfons. Not you too.
I don't know if you're serious dude, but in case you are, here is some advice: You should get some self-awareness. Whenever an element of something you like is called shit you get butthurt like a motherfucker, said butthurt is sometimes followed by irrelevant statements that don't actually contradict what you're arguing against.

I said SS2 had shit shooting and said Bioshock 2's is better. Now I don't really mind someone arguing against that but the way you did it is retarded. You said that something in Bioshock 2 is shit and something in SS2 was good, but the things you pointed out had nothing to do with the actual shooting mechanic.

Maybe you don't understand a simple idea that if someone criticizes something that doesn't mean he's shitting on something. I can't see someone actually arguing with what I said. The AI, stealth, and shooting in original is shit and it's shit in HR too.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"I said SS2 had shit shooting and said Bioshock 2's is better."

I had firmly in mind that you may have been referring to the simple act of pulling a trigger and having the bullet be ejected as opposed to the shooting combat and its supporting systems as a whole. I assumed it to be the latter because who the fuck would even make that point as a criticism as the differences are primarily engine-bound. SS2 could have had a little more polished shooting, but it could never have had the flashy animations of Bioshock, that slick high detail smoke that comes out of the revolver afterwards, high detail weapon models & muzzle flashes etc because all that shit is dictated by the engine alone. Everything in SS2 vanilla is low-res. Animation, whilst it didn't even use vertex animation for weapons it seems, could never had been as smooth and detailed as Bioshock's and so on.

I don't know if you're serious dude, but in case you are, here is some advice: You should get some self-awareness. Whenever an element of something you like is called shit you get butthurt like a motherfucker, said butthurt is sometimes followed by irrelevant statements that don't actually contradict what you're arguing against.

Edit: lend me a hand. Show me these contradictions of relevancy, except my reaction to your pointless observation about SS2 as that is entirely invalid.

Butthurt? Well yes. Like I said, tired of the decline and its enablers.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom