Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Gnidrologist vs CyberP on Deus Ex

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stop baiting poor modder, guys, or he'll snap completely, and who knows what it will bring.
(probably obsessive stalking and making blogs on blogspot)
Modders gonna drama, after all it's in their nature.

It takes some talent to turn the Codex against you even while you're on the side of the argument that the majority of them agree with. :salute:

One thing I'd like to say re: DX vs DX:HR is that I disagree with what many people have said about DX:HR - namely, that it feels "too futuristic" compared to DX. IMO, it's actually often very self-consciously modest and low-tech. You can tell that the developers must have shot down a bunch of ideas because "the world hasn't reached that tech level yet".

Dudes in power armor that shoot missiles? No. Chemically conditioned MiBs? No. Genetically engineered alien-like lifeforms? No. Universal Constructors? No. Frickin lightsabers? No, and I could go on.

It's a bit amazing how few people seem to realize this. Is the first third of DX all they remember of the game? "Where are all the slums, everything is too shiny!"

(To be fair, DX:HR's monumental constructions like Upper Hengsha and Panchaea go against this interpretation, but I get the sense that what's setting those people off is the appearance of Detroit, right at the beginning of the game.)

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
DXHR certainly wasn't too tech heavy. I think if the levels were more open with more ways to puzzle your way through them and they got rid of the damn boss battles, then it would be a much better game. But all that coupled with the visual design, kinda hurt the experience for me.

latest

I mean, fuck, that just doesn't feel like DX1 to me. The visual elements are there but they have been re-imagined by some anime art house or something. That does not give me the Bladeruuner feel I got from DX1. Like I said, it has the right elements but they just feel visually wrong in a way I can't quite pin point.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It takes some talent to turn the Codex against you even while you're on the side of the argument that the majority of them agree with. :salute:

Four butthurt little trolls isn't "the Codex". All you have to do is have an opposing opinion and you make enemies. And tags. Some of those enemies follow you around waiting to strike. Plus I constantly cuss this shithole and its monkey-out-of-its-cage residents off which doesn't help ;)

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"...a-and that's exactly what I was talking about earlier."

Another retard misreads the statement ONCE AGAIN. False arguments, logical fallacies, inane bullshit...a very pleasant waste of time. The Codex, ladies and gents.

"...a-and that's exactly what I was talking about earlier."

Another retard misreads the statement ONCE AGAIN. False arguments, logical fallacies, inane bullshit...a very pleasant waste of time. The Codex, ladies and gents.
nFJJd9Ql.jpg

Nobody here is out to get you, honestly. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Just let it go. You're among friends here.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
My backup has arrived. Where have you been, noble knight? Took you long enough...

CHARGE!

Our enemies are clueless. I've held the fort for four pages of this tale. Don't worry we'll be home in time for tea.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
I dislike lack of subtlety in how allusions and symbols are used in DE HR. This parallel between Renaissance humanist ideals and post-humanist views of augmentation visionaries is really cool, but it's presented too much in-your-face... you know, like in anime. All these renaissance costumes and ornaments - they are quickly getting tiresome. And, as result, the whole vibe feels too remote from life. I agree on original DE being much more campy, but still I prefer its campy but down-to-earth approach to over-artistic fancifulness of HR.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"Some PTSD type shit i dunno."

Oh, well in that case you're dismissed, Sir Knight. PTSD is a very serious condition. Don't worry about me. If can take on DX alone, I can these peasants with my monocle covered in dirt.

I dislike lack of subtlety in how allusions and symbols are used in DE HR. This parallel between Renaissance humanist ideals and post-humanist views of augmentation visionaries is really cool, but it's presented too much in-your-face... you know, like in anime. All these renaissance costumes and ornaments - they are quickly getting tiresome. And, as result, the whole vibe feels too remote from life. I agree on original DE being much more campy, but still I prefer its campy but down-to-earth approach to over-artistic fancifulness of HR.

Damn straight, with the exception that all that shit got tiring by the Hengsha level. We are meant to be travelling from the USA to China. Different culture, climate, economy, and so on. But nope, the retarded style persisted. The god damn piss most notably. Not to mention variety is just nice in general. The art director is a one-trick pony.

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter
I don't give a rat's ass about the topic of this thread as I think its pointless, but I am sensing a large amount of passive aggressive bullshit.

I gotta try this DX1 mod. CyberP seems to have some sense of what made DX1 good.

Social graces aren't CyberP's forte, but the mod is very good. The AI improvements alone should make it a must-have for a DE playthrough, because the vanilla AI is just a bad joke. The balance changes are also good, like nerfing Dragon Tooth Sword from god-mode for example. Some changes might not be for everyone, but most of those are optional.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Nobody here is out to get you, honestly. Deep breaths, deep breaths. Just let it go. You're among friends here.
This is funny in a way that Cyber could be a great NPC in the DX universe. A man, who thinks that almost all of mankind is against him via some retarded conspiracy theory or evil ways that those ''others'' have and he is alone in his battle for righteousness.
I love CyberModder. He entertaining char.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Dudes in power armor that shoot missiles? No. Chemically conditioned MiBs? No. Genetically engineered alien-like lifeforms? No. Universal Constructors? No. Frickin lightsabers? No, and I could go on.
The dragon tooth sword is not a lightsaber.

DX has a lot of high tech stuff nestled inside secret labs and stuff, HR has a lot of stuff like mech augs being commercially available to two-bit thugs. Plus as you mentioned Upper Hengsha and stuff.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
This is funny in a way that Cyber could be a great NPC in the DX universe. A man, who thinks that almost all of mankind is against him via some retarded conspiracy theory or evil ways that those ''others'' have and he is alone in his battle for righteousness.
I love CyberModder. He entertaining char.

Are you implying that the conspiracies in DX are retarded? That people do not conspire? That mass surveillance, population control, government brainwashing and such aren't things? Again, polish your perspective. reading some history can help you with this.

Are you also backtracking on your previous acknowledgement of the decline? Because that's all I claimed to oppose, and I never claimed to be alone in that fight either.

Will the idiocy end? "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Advice that I'd do well to follow for a number of you fucktards.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DX has a lot of high tech stuff nestled inside secret labs and stuff, HR has a lot of stuff like mech augs being commercially available to two-bit thugs. Plus as you mentioned Upper Hengsha and stuff.

Well, FWIW, the original Deus Ex seems to have drug dealers and random bar bouncers with mechanical augmentations: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanical_augmentation#Deus_Ex

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Well, FWIW, the original Deus Ex seems to have drug dealers and random bar bouncers with mechanical augmentations: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanical_augmentation#Deus_Ex
Eh, fair enough. Still, one or two of them having it(99% of thugs and enforcers don't) is vastly different from every thug having it, which it often seems like in HR. There's also the fact that mech augs in DX are typically a lot more ugly and clumsy than the ones in HR, seems like tech progresses in the wrong direction.

Note also that most of the ones with it probably have a military background.

J1M

Arcane
I enjoyed DXHR (have played through it several times now), but the art style is very derivative. I realize most video game art direction is, but with DXHR it was a bit too on the nose. The game lacked any sort of subtlety. The characters were transparent caricatures and the themes of the game boiled down to tropes. There was very little originality put into it. It's like their inspirational source material for the game, loosely applied it to the DX universe, and decided that was good enough.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the game, but that's because I saw a lot of cyberpunk dystopia stuff I loved from other media. I'll still buy the next Deus Ex, but it's not interesting enough for me to buy on release or pre-order. I'll be buying it on a steam sale once the "director's cut" or whatever is released.
Yes. You are 100% right. Most games have far more ambitious attempts to create a unique and cohesive art style. The worst part was when they copied this scene from the X-Men movie:

wolverine-xmen-daysoffuturepast-02-cropped-brightened.jpg

deus-ex.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom