Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

pippin

Well New Vegas had built in challenges, which kinda worked like achievements. But they felt somehow more fun, especially the GRA challenges, since they ask you to go out and explore stuff.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I see GOG is adding some top games every 3 days or so,I guess they are pumping up their catalog for that big summer sale that's likely right around the corner

pippin

There's no weekly sale right now and DD's initial discount is two weeks long. Sale is bound to start very soon and will prob. last for two weeks.

Atomkilla

Arcane
It would be awesome if GOG keeps at it like this. At the moment they're basically what Steam was when it was at its best, plus it's DRM-free.
A few releases weekly while holding a certain criteria for which games deserve a release. A long way from becoming as big as Steam, but at least they haven't lost their track and aren't crowded in fuckton of shitty knockoffs and lazy titles.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Steam summer sale is supposed to start June 22 and GOG usually does their big sales just before them so yeah,their summer sale is going to start pretty soon

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't expect it to be cheaper then 60% off in the summer sale.

Is the game fun to play without a controller?

Vorark

Erudite
^Thanks!

Didn't expect Dragon's Dogma at all, but then the rumors about NV were indeed true.

NOTE: The game comes with full GOG Galaxy support including Cloud saves, leaderboards, and achievements. Additionally, both the Pawn system and Ur Dragon work exactly as in the Steam version. Keep in mind, however, that the GOG Galaxy servers are separate from the Steam ones, meaning that this is a fresh start.

Galaxy servers, eh?

pippin

Some games support crossplay. And Galaxy makes companies feel more confident about putting their games on gog too.

Siobhan

Arbiter
but at least they haven't lost their track
yet. Just you wait until they go into full Galaxy shilling mode. The nudges so far have been subtle (e.g. keeping update notifications in Galaxy but removing them from the website), but I'm pretty sure that a few years from now GOG will be client-less in name only. I wouldn't even be surprised if they change the API to make it unusable with 3rd party downloaders and remove all library functionality from the website. It will be a Steam-wannabe where five year old AAA games are rereleased at fantasy prices while their mysterious group of focus testers reject perfectly fine games like Fall of the Dungeon Guardians but accept non-games like Dear Esther and generic clones like Convoy. Of course, once everybody except a few die-hard ludites are using Galaxy, there's no need to be DRM-free anymore, and 90% of GOG's customer base will welcome that, too, with open arms.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
You know GOG is getting big when they are policing the forums, delete posts, and there are no threads about the recent terrorist attacks.

Atomkilla

Arcane
but at least they haven't lost their track
yet. Just you wait until they go into full Galaxy shilling mode. The nudges so far have been subtle (e.g. keeping update notifications in Galaxy but removing them from the website), but I'm pretty sure that a few years from now GOG will be client-less in name only. I wouldn't even be surprised if they change the API to make it unusable with 3rd party downloaders and remove all library functionality from the website. It will be a Steam-wannabe where five year old AAA games are rereleased at fantasy prices while their mysterious group of focus testers reject perfectly fine games like Fall of the Dungeon Guardians but accept non-games like Dear Esther and generic clones like Convoy. Of course, once everybody except a few die-hard ludites are using Galaxy, there's no need to be DRM-free anymore, and 90% of GOG's customer base will welcome that, too, with open arms.

What pippin said.

Not to mean that GOG is a saint who can't fuck it up at some point - but so far they haven't made any major sin, at least not in my book, and most of the stuff they have introduced are stuff that people have been asking for.
Personally, I'm happy with them as long as they remain DRM-free and Galaxy is optional - both of which I doubt will change since they are the main things which define what GOG is. If they lose DRM-free status, they lose their consumer base.

Siobhan

Arbiter
this was wanted and actively asked for by gog users.
Yes, I said so myself. L'enfer, c'est les autre.

Edit:
If they lose DRM-free status, they lose their consumer base.
Dunno. I can already hear the voices "making Galaxy mandatory is not DRM, you can download the game and then play it without launching Galaxy". And then it will be "okay, you have to use Galaxy to play the game, but need Galaxy anyways to install the game, so it's not really DRM.". Maybe they'll have a 100% DRM-free, galaxy-free option at a premium price, kind-of like buying an ad-free Kindle. And so on. With the customer base GOG has nowadays, that ship has already sailed. They'll lose about 10%, the die-hards, and then double the remaining 90% because their DRM-light allows them to get more publishers on board. It's like regional pricing and other things they've done over the years, you just have to boil that frog very slowly.

Last edited:

pippin

The gog forums have been a piece of shit for years now. I do not know why would you want to go to the actual forums to be honest.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The gog forums have been a piece of shit for years now. I do not know why would you want to go to the actual forums to be honest.

True, there was not much interesting discussion. And in nearly every thread the second post is some "funny" quip by TinyE.
But there at least used to be threads about current events. And the fact that GOG's moderation was on par with the Codex' moderation at least made it somewhat interesting. But I guess the user base is just too boring/normal to generate much interesting discussion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom