Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

pippin

oh god that tinye guy

there was a mini crisis when people said they couldn't install the recently added bethesda games without an internet connection, but apparently it was people with bad luck.

Also what's the point of caring that much about a store's forum, when the games already have forums of their own if you have a problem...

Rabbid

Savant
L'enfer, c'est les autre.

you just have to boil that frog very slowly

It all makes sense now.

Joking aside, I agree with your point. The goal is for gog to become a direct Steam competitor and the process is carefully laid out. Lots of marketing jargon in the doc, but cdpr's intentions are made pretty clear:

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2016/04/strategy-en-v2.pdf

As a general observation not directed to you, I'd say that we are not only nerds/geeks/fans/whatever, but, primarily, consumers. When interconnectivity reinvents and reinforces hobbies and interests, communities/culture and businesses are so closely intertwined that it's hard to recognize some patterns. Supporting and preaching in favour of gog because of your love of old school games or your anti-DRM principles is like using "google" as a verb - more goodwill waiting to be capitalized. Not saying there is sth inherently wrong or immoral about that. It's just the way things are and we shouldn't act surprised when a pattern unfolds as expected.

Old One

Arcane
I wouldn't even be surprised if they change the API to make it unusable with 3rd party downloaders and remove all library functionality from the website. It will be a Steam-wannabe where five year old AAA games are rereleased at fantasy prices while their mysterious group of focus testers reject perfectly fine games like Fall of the Dungeon Guardians but accept non-games like Dear Esther and generic clones like Convoy. Of course, once everybody except a few die-hard ludites are using Galaxy, there's no need to be DRM-free anymore, and 90% of GOG's customer base will welcome that, too, with open arms.
You could be right, but if that were to happen there would no longer be any reason to use GOG instead of Steam.

Maybe then Steam will buy GOG, then Zenimax will by SteamGOG and start charging a proper monthly service fee. It will help them deliver better service to their customer base.

Perkel

Arcane
DD on GOG awesome. IT means capcom is on board and does things. It also means that GOG probably made their own API/servers to replicate Steam API/servers thus allowing for online play for steam exclusive games.

This means more games that were steamworks will be released in future which was one of the main issues with bringing games to GOG (i mean newer ones). Also unlike Steam GOG seems to have some sort of support for providing servers support for older games like in case of AvP

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I see GOG is adding some top games every 3 days or so,I guess they are pumping up their catalog for that big summer sale that's likely right around the corner
Steam summer sale is supposed to start June 22 and GOG usually does their big sales just before them so yeah,their summer sale is going to start pretty soon

Well that was fast,less than 24 hours after my predictions the GOG summer sale in on,oh and there are new games on GOG connect too so don't forget to check them out

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Lol one minute I checked and it was business as usual on GOG, the next minute, POOF, there's the sale.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice, I got 12 new GOG Connect titles added to my library.

Apparently, you get Rebel Galaxy for free with your first purchase.

Last edited:

Don Peste

Arcane
Sea Dogs (1,39€) and Bad Mojo Redux (0,59€) have nice discounts. And maybe Torin's Passage (1,79€) and Forgotten Realms: The Archives - Collection Three (Dungeon Hack and Menzober... zar... zanrran... for 1,79€).
So you can get Rebel Galaxy plus something else for 0,59€.

Don Peste

Arcane
Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption is 0,79€. You might want to try The Age of Redemption mod.
The Age of Redemption 2015 Mod allows for the single player chronicles to function in multiplayer without quest-breaking bugs. Additional features include enemy respawn, vampire the masquerade pnp friendly damage/soak rules, ranged weapons use multiple ammo types, advanced AI protocols make better use of disciplines and equipment loadouts, better control over your coterie AI through a config app as well as in-game coterie AI controls, adjustable difficulty, and more!
What else we got? https://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc#/filter:gog

spekkio

Arcane
OMG, Summer Sale, cannot wait... :D

2jJAJ8f.png

To feel superior because of being a marketing-resistant elite.

:smug:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I gotta get me those three Archive Collections, but I'll probably wait until the end of the sale because I got things to blow cash on in real life first.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Might grab the later Wing Commander games since I never played.... or maybe just Privateer.

waterdeep

Learned
so the GOG version of gothic 1 and 2 are playable straight out of the box right? looking to pick them up along with ultima 4/5/6 and homm2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom