Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not really surprised, but finding trojan in my exe is a bit disconcerting.

mck

Cipher
People are still surprised about this? Using cracks for official releases is a normal thing since all the cheap re-release series of classic games became a thing years ago.

what are some other examples of this?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Likely a false positive. Antiviruses have gotten very good lately at identifying cracks as viruses. If you want to call that good, I guess.

Vorark

Erudite
Interesting. I once was browsing a couple of "sailors of the seven seas" forums at the time New Vegas was released on GOG and they were discussing how the executable looked suspiciously similar to the one made by a scene group, so far as declaring it was a kind of quick job which just replaced the steam_api.dll with galaxy-wrapper.dll, leaving other Steam api references intact.

Whelp, it isn't the original post, but here you go -- from Reddit (of all places, lel):
GOG versions of these games use slightly modified PROPHET cracks. There's virtually zero functional difference in exe files (unless you really want steam_api.dll in the game directory to be called galaxy-wrapper.dll). The whole Steam API/DRM is left untouched; it's just circumvented, exactly like before.
So for the end user there is not much point in using GOG binaries over those which are available everywhere.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
People are still surprised about this? Using cracks for official releases is a normal thing since all the cheap re-release series of classic games became a thing years ago.

what are some other examples of this?
Not sure I understand the question? When I worked for one of the bigger publishers in potatao downloading cracks for all the popular cheap re-releases was SOP.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yes these are some Epic releases.

Jazz Jackrabbit: The Complete Collection https://af.gog.com/game/jazz_jackrabbit_collection?as=1649904300

Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Complete Collection https://af.gog.com/game/jazz_jackrabbit_2_collection?as=1649904300

The GOG.com edition of Jazz Jackrabbit 2 can also come pre-bundled with the incredible JJ2+ mod. Packing years of dedication from the Jazz Jackrabbit community, expanded multiplayer features and game modes, tons of fixes, as well as tools to play (and create) the huge library of community-made content.

Download Jazz Jackrabbit 2 with the JJ2+ mod through the Beta Channels feature in GOG Galaxy or by grabbing the appropriate offline installers directly from your GOG.com account.

Epic Pinball: The Complete Collection https://af.gog.com/game/epic_pinball_the_complete_collection?as=1649904300

Bundle Promo: https://af.gog.com/promo/20171130_launch_promo_epic_games?as=1649904300

Last edited by a moderator:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
GOG Galaxy bitchin' time - why the fuck it download installers in notEnglish languages? Don't ask why I download installers, m'kay?
When I got GOGdownloader you just do 2 clicks in your library to get links separated by language. In Galaxy, despite marking "Use preferable language - English" it still download other installers in different languages. And if you install these games and switch language in the game options it throw "Error-cannot access the disc".
Oh and when you install the game from downloaded installer and press Launch it activate Galaxy first.
:killit:

:Flash:

Arcane
Hey, Epic Pinball, the first game I ever pirated. Or, to put it correctly, the game my father gave me the pirated floppies of as a Christmas present.

GOG Galaxy bitchin' time - why the fuck it download installers in notEnglish languages? Don't ask why I download installers, m'kay?
When I got GOGdownloader you just do 2 clicks in your library to get links separated by language. In Galaxy, despite marking "Use preferable language - English" it still download other installers in different languages. And if you install these games and switch language in the game options it throw "Error-cannot access the disc".
Oh and when you install the game from downloaded installer and press Launch it activate Galaxy first.
:killit:
I bought a game (blackhole), it starts Galaxy and wants to access the internet, I block access, the game crashes.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Sounds familiar.
Ah right, Steam offline mode...
A reminder that all these games are not yours.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/star_control_1_and_2_being_removed_from_gog?as=1649904300

We'd like to inform you that on Tuesday, December 5th, we will be removing Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters and Star Control: The Kessari Quadrant from GOG catalogue. There is an ongoing discussion between the original developers and Stardock, which leads us to this removal. For some more details you can read a recent blog post by Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III.
We hope this is just a temporary thing and both games will get back to the catalogue. Of course if you have the game already, you won't be affected by the removal.

gaussgunner

Arcane
https://af.gog.com/forum/general/star_control_1_and_2_being_removed_from_gog?as=1649904300

We'd like to inform you that on Tuesday, December 5th, we will be removing Star Control: The Ur-Quan Masters and Star Control: The Kessari Quadrant from GOG catalogue. There is an ongoing discussion between the original developers and Stardock, which leads us to this removal. For some more details you can read a recent blog post by Fred Ford and Paul Reiche III.
We hope this is just a temporary thing and both games will get back to the catalogue. Of course if you have the game already, you won't be affected by the removal.
Damn IP hoarder holding companies. This is why copyright should go back to 14 years.

Star Control II is the good RPG one though, with the best melee. And there's an open-source remake of SC1 that's supposedly better than the original anyway, which wasn't that great really, basically just melee with a thin strategic layer.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Like, seriously, the Ur-Quan Masters is on linux repositories for free. I can only imagine that they found out that selling something that was previously and currently available for free with code with open source licenses is not ideal (who knows if they fucked up and there was a no-commercial license in there).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Alex

Arcane
(...snip)
I bought a game (blackhole), it starts Galaxy and wants to access the internet, I block access, the game crashes.

Did you try uninstalling Galaxy? I got Hollow Knight from them a month ago and it too installed Galaxy. But the game still ran normal after I uninstalled it.

Endemic

Arcane
Make sure you chose the correct installer.

ghSdZox.png

Titles with Galaxy will default to it, so you need to use the drop down menu to change to "classic installers".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom