Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News GOLDEN BABY RISING - Grimoire Released!

LJ40

Cipher
I... just don't understand what's so fun about this online roleplaying game you're playing. But by all means, go on and pretend amongst yourselves that the sky is purple at midnight, if it pleases you.
And (most of) the rest of us don't understand what's so fun about sticking our dicks in squirrels and rabbits. It takes all kinds.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm really enjoying the game. I like how you can basically use any kind of build to play the game, even if it might initially be hard or require a bit of grinding. And there's many different ways to approach battles, whether it's brute force, through conditions, or even pure magic. It's fun. There's tons of stuff to do and explore which is way more interesting than the generic wizardry clones that I've been playing, like Eliminage Gothic and Grimrock. The puzzles are also pretty cool, like, it's not just press this button here, there are riddles on other shit that is pretty cool too. I'm not a fan of JRPG dungeon crawlers much, like anything that has anime in it is something that turns me off, simply because that's not the world that I want to experience. Grimoire is as close to what I'd want in any dungeon crawler. The art is really beautiful too, coming from an artist who's done pixel art before, I know how fucking terrible that shit can be and how hard it is to make something look half-way decent. The amount of unique monsters is really cool too and battles can be pretty challenging because all monsters have their own strengths and weaknesses, like sometimes monsters can't be put to sleep, or can't be frozen, or might absorb your fireball or whatever. It's cool, and since the levels are pretty contained, it doesn't feel like I'm dragging on and on in this 64x64 square box or some shit. The different beginnings are also pretty neat, giving you different start items that you'll use at different parts of the game, or giving you a bonus if you really need one. The character development is far more in depth than any other dungeon crawlers that I've played, tons of attributes and skills and stuff that don't just feel arbitrary and you can definitely feel your party grow powerful over the course of the game.

The bugs and inventory management suck, yeah, but whatever I've played games with worse in both. Hotkeys would be cool tho, even if it's just 'm' for opening and closing the map.

mushaden

Scholar
Even if aweigh doesn't like Grimoire, it doesn't matter. It's for people who love Wizardry 7, and he's not even that much of a fan of that game if I remember correctly.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The game looks much, much worse if we compare it to contemporary dungeon crawlers: Elminage Gothic has brilliantly balanced items and classes as well as challenging maps that are interesting to traverse; the same can be said more or less for every newer dungeon crawler.
Different design schools. Elminage Gothic offers huge mazes and focuses on combat & traps - Grimoire offers several small but unique dungeons, with a focus on exploration.

And on that it's pretty fucking great. Almost very dungeon feels unique, has interesting things to do and several puzzles / secrets to find out.

Inin

Novice
Long time lurker here, since damn near the beginning of the codex, never thought Cleve's game would see the light of day. Sweet Baby Jesus, now we know the Apocalypse is just around the corner. Thanks Cleve!

:salute:

:obviously:

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
Every single negative review is made from an account with 0 other reviews, its safe to assume that those are not honest opinions.

After spending considerable time with this game-

I'm quite certain that, amidst the many SJW troll reviews, there's a decidedly negative tone even if you remove them.

This is because frankly the game is extremely lacking. It's lacking in combat options, character development, writing, audio, graphics as well as critical gameplay elements such as pacing. One of the most puzzling facts is the 'choose your own difficulty' approach that leaves it completely a mystery how many encounters you are supposed to fight.

Even if we look past the limitations, given that this is essentially a 20-year old game, you will find that even its contemporary competitors offer more. One of the most glaring omissions that completely devastates the already bad, solely mouse-driven (decline) UI is the utter lack of hotkeys to enter combat options. Every Wizardry game had those. Even Lands of Lore, the Skyrim of dungeon crawlers, had them. The game is literally more primitive than Lands of Lore in terms of UI design. That's just deplorable.

The game looks much, much worse if we compare it to contemporary dungeon crawlers: Elminage Gothic has brilliantly balanced items and classes as well as challenging maps that are interesting to traverse; the same can be said more or less for every newer dungeon crawler.

This game is nothing more but a sad joke and it's apparent that everyone here praising it is doing so to be ironic. I find this deplorable.

The one thing I admire in man is his ability to critically examine when he is wrong. I was enthusiastic about this game. Even during the beta I really hoped the feedback given would translate into a playable experience. I understand that it's very funny to pretend that it's a good game for laughs, or that you want to try to feel as if your $40 weren't wasted on trash but I implore you to foster actual, honest discussion. No thread about this game even honestly talks about the dozens of glaring problems and feature omissions; the issues with essentially everything.

Imagine, I even read someone praising the music and sound effects! I understand that you like to troll but for goodness's sake, is it /really/ that funny to run around saying "The sun is a really cold star!"?

This game is an utter travesty and I daresay you are a moron if you enjoy it, or simply lack experience with other dungeon crawlers/blobbers, which is also deplorable.

aweigh, as our resident dungeon crawler, how do you feel about this game?
You're on the wrong planet. Feel so sorry for you.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Every single negative review is made from an account with 0 other reviews, its safe to assume that those are not honest opinions.

After spending considerable time with this game-

I'm quite certain that, amidst the many SJW troll reviews, there's a decidedly negative tone even if you remove them.

This is because frankly the game is extremely lacking. It's lacking in combat options, character development, writing, audio, graphics as well as critical gameplay elements such as pacing. One of the most puzzling facts is the 'choose your own difficulty' approach that leaves it completely a mystery how many encounters you are supposed to fight.

Even if we look past the limitations, given that this is essentially a 20-year old game, you will find that even its contemporary competitors offer more. One of the most glaring omissions that completely devastates the already bad, solely mouse-driven (decline) UI is the utter lack of hotkeys to enter combat options. Every Wizardry game had those. Even Lands of Lore, the Skyrim of dungeon crawlers, had them. The game is literally more primitive than Lands of Lore in terms of UI design. That's just deplorable.

This game is nothing more but a sad joke and it's apparent that everyone here praising it is doing so to be ironic. I find this deplorable.

The one thing I admire in man is his ability to critically examine when he is wrong. I was enthusiastic about this game. Even during the beta I really hoped the feedback given would translate into a playable experience. I understand that it's very funny to pretend that it's a good game for laughs, or that you want to try to feel as if your $40 weren't wasted on trash but I implore you to foster actual, honest discussion. No thread about this game even honestly talks about the dozens of glaring problems and feature omissions; the issues with essentially everything.

Imagine, I even read someone praising the music and sound effects! I understand that you like to troll but for goodness's sake, is it /really/ that funny to run around saying "The sun is a really cold star!"?

This game is an utter travesty and I daresay you are a moron if you enjoy it, or simply lack experience with other dungeon crawlers/blobbers, which is also deplorable.

aweigh, as our resident dungeon crawler, how do you feel about this game?
You're on the wrong planet. Feel so sorry for you.
He made his points quite clear to me. Why would he be in the wrong planet just becaues the doesn't like the game? I don't think he needs your pitty. On the other hand, how does Cleve's cum taste? You are sucking it quite nicely as I see it.

PrettyDeadman

Here's what you've got wrong. Grimoire is not a mere dungeon crawler. It's an epic rpg adventure with a much, much bigger scope.
Sure, Elminage Gothic might've gotten dungeon crawling better than Grimoire, it might even have better balance (due to much smaller scope), but Elminage Gothic to Grimoire is the same as Dungeon Rats to Age of Decadence.
Dungeon Rats might've improved combat mechanics, but it simply cannot be compared to Age of Decadence.

Zenyrrah

Augur
Patron
He made his points quite clear to me. Why would he be in the wrong planet just becaues the doesn't like the game? I don't think he needs your pitty. On the other hand, how does Cleve's cum taste? You are sucking it quite nicely as I see it.
Glad you see his point. I prefer games like Grimoire, whoever makes it. It beats games that don't even take six hours to beat and looks like they are made in RPGmaker.

Weasel
On the other hand, how does Cleve's cum taste? You are sucking it quite nicely as I see it.

7UOS0fS.png

Always enjoy seeing how long your resolutions last, bro :lol:
But my favourite was still "J_C the Wise" :salute:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
On the other hand, how does Cleve's cum taste? You are sucking it quite nicely as I see it.

7UOS0fS.png

Haha, yeah. My resolutions are like the new year resolutions. They mean nothing. But it feels nice to promise them. :D

Glad you see his point. I prefer games like Grimoire, whoever makes it. It beats games that don't even take six hours to beat and looks like they are made in RPGmaker.
Ouch, now you really hurt my feelings.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera

7UOS0fS.png

:lol: he's one of the most mentally disturbed codexers. I'm glad I put him on ignore long time ago and never regret it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

UnknownBro

Savant
This release has only one explanation... the fabric of reality must be shattering.

Expect the unexpected........

:bunkertime:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom