Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good racing games pre 1998 year?

Snufkin

Augur
I played in recent days following games: Sports car gt, GP 500 and Grand prix legends. All those games stood the test of time, are still very good. But i was wondering are there any good racing games pre 1998 year im missing? Anyone can give some titles?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
POD
Need For Speed
Screamer/Screamer 2
SODA Offroad

Maybe Test Drive 4 and 5?

Though I specifically chose 3D games, and ones for the PC.

Declinator

Arbiter
This is one genre where you aren't going to find all that much quality from the last millenium.

That said, if you aren't looking for anything that simulates a real car then games like Death Rally (1996), Mario Kart, and Wacky Wheels can be quite fun.

Need For Speed 1 is pretty much completely outclassed in every single way by NFS5: Porsche Unleashed / Porsche 2000 so I wouldn't recommend it.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
My favourite racing game from the 90's is Network Q RAC Rally Championship if you like fighting with the clock. There is arcade/simulation option so if you don't want to repair your car you can always play it safe at the beginning. Nice variety of tracks, plus there is X-Miles addon which has even more of them.

:Flash:

Arcane
Stunts (aka 4D Sports: Driving)
The oldest racing game with an ongoing community, and for a reason. Every PC gamer worth his money must have played this.

Micro Machines 1 & 2
Still great fun for hotseat multiplayer.

Screamer
The opponents cheat like hell, but I still play through the entire championships every few years. Somehow the gameplay is simply addictive.

The Need for Speed
In contrast to Declinator I don't think that this was rendered obsolete by later version. It's still a great game. Rubber band ai opponents, but whatever

Moto Racer
Still fun for a quick race every now and then. Not great, but better than its sequels.

Powerslide
OK, this is 1998, not pre-, but I have to mention this game in every racing game thread. This is a superb and unfortunately overlooked gem. It has great graphics (notice that the GOG version runs with the ugly software renderer by default, but allows glide emulation), great physics, and the best AI (non-cheating) opponents of any racing game I have ever played. If you lose, you know exactly where you made a mistake, and how you can avoid it the next time. A must play.

Supreme Snowboarding
Allow me to advocate for a 1999 game. Racing against your own ghosts in the time attack mode is incredibly addictive in this game.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Stunts (aka 4D Sports: Driving)
The oldest racing game with an ongoing community, and for a reason. Every PC gamer worth his money must have played this.

god this.

also, Lotus

lotus-turbo-challenge-05.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom