Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good racing games pre 1998 year?

Ash

Arcane
My favourite racing game from the 90's is Network Q RAC Rally Championship if you like fighting with the clock. There is arcade/simulation option so if you don't want to repair your car you can always play it safe at the beginning. Nice variety of tracks, plus there is X-Miles addon which has even more of them.

Heh, that texture animation for the steering and gear shifting in first person is awesome.

Endemic

Arcane
Need for Speed 2 SE. Back when EA even went to the trouble of renting supercars to make the showcase videos.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
lotus-turbo-challenge-05.png

My+Eyes,+They+Burn.jpg

Astral Rag

Arcane
Most of my favourites have already been posted but here are some more.

Last edited:

:Flash:

Arcane
Some of the games mentioned in this thread were all made by the same company (Lotus, Network Q RAC Rally Championship, International Rally Championship), Magnetic Fields. When you play them, there are several things that are unique to them, like the usable radio or the track editor (missing from Q RAC), where you can create randomized racetracks influenceable by several parameters.
I played those games a lot back in the day, but I don't think that they hold up very well. They are very monotonous, and the gameplay is lacking that special thing that makes me play other racing games from that time even today.
[/Random Trivia]

Snufkin

Augur
I came back to play Grand prix legends. This is so far my favorite racing game. Nothing compares, not even Burns Rally or GTR 2.

A user named cat

Gran Turismo came out in 97-98 and pretty much stomped all other racing games into the mud, from PC to consoles. Nothing else really compared. All these years later and we finally get something similar for PC, that being Forza 6. Except it requires shitty Win 10. What a slap in the face. At least there's still GTR 2 and rFactor but they're missing the pseudo-RPG experiences and dealerships of GT.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Gran Turismo came out in 97-98 and pretty much stomped all other racing games into the mud, from PC to consoles.
I never got the appeal of racing games where you can't wreck your car into a disfigured chunk of metal. You hit a wall and bounce off like both the car and the wall were made of rubber.

A user named cat

Gran Turismo came out in 97-98 and pretty much stomped all other racing games into the mud, from PC to consoles.
I never got the appeal of racing games where you can't wreck your car into a disfigured chunk of metal. You hit a wall and bounce off like both the car and the wall were made of rubber.
Because racing sims are not about crashing, they're about... racing? If you want to wreck, there are more than enough Motorstorms, Twisted Metals, Desctuction Derbys, Flatouts and Burnouts out there.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Because racing sims are not about crashing, they're about... racing?
For me a racing game is not a sim to begin with if the car is indestructable. I barely play any racing games nowadays, but I used to prefer rally games, as in those games car damage added another layer to the gameplay (obviously slowing you down, but also requiring repairs between the different special stages) and made things all the more interesting because a single mistake could be so costly. Just a matter of taste, I guess, but I always thought that Gran Turismo belonged to a very different brand of racing games instead of being some be-all and end-all masterpiece.

Mozg

Arcane
If you license real cars the makers also generally don't want you to show them ramping into the crowd and killing dozens of onlookers.

A user named cat

Many racing sims don't have damage physics and the ones that do are usually nothing impressive compared to the likes of say Motorstorm or Burnout. I think the devs just don't care and would rather focus on the actual driving mechanics and AI which is likely plenty difficult enough when you're aiming for realism. Most people playing racing sims are trying to avoid wrecking anyway so it's a non-issue.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh god, this, Indy 500. Half of the fun was going the wrong way and hitting the AI cars at full speed.

Endemic

Arcane
Good picks Taka. There's also:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom