Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good RPGs without saving the world

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Technically, if you only complete 50-90% of any CRPG, you never really save the world. So, I guess you can play any CRPG that you want.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Ultima Underworld 2 (You're just trying to escape)

Actually, you could argue that if you fail and everyone stays trapped an eventually starves to death in the castle, the Guardian will be able to take over your world; so you do sort of save it.

On that note, Ultima Underworld 1: you do save the world by removing the demon but it's only necessary in the first place because your goody-two-shoes princess-rescuing act fucks up an evil wizard's plan to imprison the aforementioned demon. If you just died early enough in the quest, the world would stay reasonably safe.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yakuza , a series of action JRPGS (debatable) about looking very confused about why you are beating some people who were your friends until the last cutscene and will probably be it again afterwise.

Axe Father

Savant
The Dark Souls games and Bloodborne (dunno about Demon Souls). If you consider them as RPG's.

Unlike the others, Demon's Souls does have a "save the world" plot. If the Old One isn't stopped, the whole world will be covered in the "colourless fog" and humanity will be under the thumb of the demons.

If you are willing to accept gook console RPGs, SMT: Nocturne gets brought up fairly often on this very subject because it acts as an inversion of the save the world plot. The world comes to an end in the first twenty minutes of the game, and you and the other handful of surviving humans are actually competing to create the new world in a process called the "Conception".

As far as CRPGs go, these other fellows pretty much have the bases covered as far as I can tell. I'm racking my brain trying to remember other possible examples.

imweasel

Baldur's Gate Series

Hard to believe that it hasn't been mentioned.

mastroego

Arcane
Mass Effect.
You have to prevent the Universe from becoming all red, or yellow, or some color.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout series
Alpha Protocol
Wasteland games
Serpent in the Staglands
Pillars of Eternity
NWN 2
The Age of Decadence
Expeditions: Conquistador
Planescape: Torment

Final Fantasy Tactics
Tactics Ogre

There are more role playing games than one thinks that are not all about saving the world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom