Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Good Shooters and Why!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
It's basically what you read above. Give the names of good shooters and state your reasons for bringing them up.

Since I created this thread I'll start by mentioning shooters that in my honest opinion have a good gameplay overall:

• Crysis: Played it on the Hardest difficulty, and it was amazingly good. Even with the NanoSuit, it offered some dificult but manageble challenge due to the nice enemie AI and the HUD alterations. Enemies would flank the player, throw granades when you were behind cover or in a interior, actually hit you, race mounted guns when they saw, signaled for backup and the fact they speaked korean on Delta made them more difficult to predict. That made the player use full potencial of suit, by thinking carefully and use the environment (which was very destructible). The gunplay was also nicely done, each weapon was different and the few attachments made a small difference. The levels were big and entertaining, specially the ones with the aliens. The presentation (graphics, sound) was, and still is, superb. And the Sci-Fi vibe made it different from most modern shooters. I could have said Crysis 2 which made some improvements, but environmental interactivity isn't there so that's that. And it was MOD SUPPORT!

• Battlefield 4 (yes,yes,yes...): Call NewFag or Captain Decline all you want, but you can't deny that blowing a sniper's/camper's cover and them send that motherfucker to Jesus isn't satisfying. Yes I don't play Battlefield for it's shitty campaign, I play it for it's great multiplayer gameplay. Gunplay is one of the best in all of the FPS I have played. The guns are exceptionaly well made, with the various ''stats'' ranging from the damage over distance, speed, accuracy, recoil and the several modifications and attachments you have for them. That in the end make a vast and complex system were every guns is distinct and every one as an advantage and disadvantage, and every modification makes a difference. The destructability and environmental interactivity is off the fucking chain and the rest of the gameplay is also great. Combinig that along with the vehicles, numbers of players, diverse gamemodes and contrasting but marvelous maps, you have a immensly chaotic fun multiplayer, were you can have just all sorts of wild experiences. Unfortonatly one the best things about this frachise (which was Teamplay) is dying, and the old players who still like that can only be found in community servers or in the previous installements (Bad Company 2). And it's a shame since the maps in BF4 all have good design that supports Teamplay along with some modifications that they made with that in mind (5 players squads, the commender mode and others...).

• Max Payne 3: Although R* switched the snowy, dark and mysterious noir atmosphere of New York for the sunshine of Brazil, that didn't mean they fucked it up for Max Payne 3. I really believe that R* perfected more than any other game the third person shooters gameplay. It's the best TPS I played in my entire life. The 360º shooting was a brilliant idea, and one that feels so natural and satisfying in this game due to the extremly responsive controls and movements, nice animations, gratifying violence and amazing gunplay. The fact that Max has 2 weapon holsters for the ''secondary weapons'' and has to carry the ''primary weapons'' on his hands (dropping them if uses the secondary guns at the same time) was also clever idea that gave the game another resource managment element. The game has a wide variety of guns at the player's disposal, and even though the differences between are not as deep as in games like Counter-Strike or Battlefield, they are there and well made. The game presents a cover system, but that doesn't mean it will be popamole and it's going to be a cakewalk, if you think that you are far from the truth. See Max Payne 3 also has a enemy AI that this game need to be praised for along with a good degree of environmental destructability. Weaker structures such as wood and others, are easily destoyed, this on levels like the ones set in the favelas makes most of protection temporary. But this is also achieved with the AI. Enemies close him on Max from all angles while offering their mates supressive fire. They also use cover like you, use mêlée attack when close, and the ''smarter'' enemies (mercenaries, Brazilian ''Swat'', with better equipment such as body armor and assualt weapons) use granedes to get you out of cover, or smoke so they can advance without you spotting them and they tend to make Headshots often (which in this game it will insta kill you). Yes that right a well placed bullet can kill in a moment. That's why Bullet Time needs to be well used. Also Shootdodging can't be abused since when in the ground Max is a sitting duck and enemies will fiil every space in is body with a bullet. On higher dificulties there are less painkillers around. This excellent gameplay with the detailed levels creates a ridiculously enjoyable chaos in both the campaign and multiplayer. Max's monologues are as bone dry and full of dark humor as ever. But only fucking popamole, anoying, shitty mechanic that unfortonatly this game has is the ''Last Stand''. Were if you are almost dead and have at least 1 painkillers you automatically enter bullet time and you have to kill your attacker our else you die. The biggest problem is that in the end you are lying on the ground and even sometimes you can't kill the enemy (because you are out of bullets, or he is in a indestrutible cover or simply in a angle that the camera can't show). In Old School difficulty this mechanic is disabled, but so is the cover mechanic.

This games are obviously from all the shooters I played my favourite. And this are my sincere reasons why I like them.
So, which shooters you consider good and why?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm is probably my favorite shooter. Natural Selection 2 would be up there if it had better optimization and a larger community. Random combat footage from yours truly.

Ruskies:

Alfons

Prophet
Shit! I wanted to see how much longer Sheep was going to run that joke into the ground.

Max Payne 3 huh? I saw that movie.

Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight - Huge excellently designed levels, great integration of lightsabers and force powers, the ability to go Light or Dark Side, tons of cool Star Wars locations. Vastly under-appreciated game.

Half-Life - Revolutionary integration of cutscenes and story into the game, pretty cool (though scripted) AI, well designed overall.

F.E.A.R. - Great gunplay. The way the guns fired, the recoil, the decals and the environmental damage, it all just came together into the equivalent of that Matrix hallway shootout scene.

Far Cry - Very sandboxy shooter with huge open maps, and decent AI.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Quake 3 Arena
  • CTF
  • Freeze Tag
  • Jail Break
  • Urban Terror
  • Don't remember if I played much Rocket Arena
You know, I'm not sure why I don't just get back into it for fun.

Aoyagi

Scholar
RAGE and unlike OP, I'm serious. Great shooting feel.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 is the last good Battlefield

Just Cause 2 - muh explosions (between the cruising around the island)

Postal 2 because shovel hitting a head has never sounded that pleasant.

Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1/2 - best sub/urban combat to date.

Lost Planet 1/2 is epicness.

DraQ

Arcane
Doom 1&2
Hexen 1&2
Strife
System Shock 1&2
Terra Nova: SFC
Blood
Quake 1
SiN
Half-Life 1 & OpFor (2 & episodes are decent enough too I guess...)
Unreal
Unreal Tournament ('99)
Red Faction 1 (haven't played the newest one)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R SoC & CoP
Deus Ex 1 & HR
+M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom