Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good wilderness/environment survival games

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I searched before making this thread.

Can anyone recommend any good survival games? For some background, my knowledge of the genre is limited to Stalker, etc. And I've never played them, I just know of them.

I recently played through FO:NV again and realized how much more they could have done with the survival aspects of hardcore mode.

I don't care if it is a shooter, fantasy, etc. I don't even care if it has combat. Indie or AAA, doesn't matter.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Also, I can't trust professional reviews because they write incredibly dumb bullshit like this:

The original Fallout didn't really give you a choice when it came to survival. It made you die all the time - from radiation, from giant mutated Radscorpions, from breaking a leg, from running out of ammo. Setting foot in the wasteland was a massive risk. There are no campfires or hunting, but Fallout still feels like a survival game to me. Fallout New Vegas, however, took it to the next level with the horribly-named Hardcore Mode, which plays more like a simulation: you have to find clean water, heal injuries over time, stay away from radiation, sleep properly and make sure to eat regularly. Played normally, though, you never go hungry or thirsty, and can wander the wasteland for days without sleep. I lasted about four hours on Fallout NV's hardcore mode. It is not kind. Indeed, on that difficulty setting, this might be the hardest survival game that exists.

The author is obviously out of her fucking mind and/or sucks at vidya games.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Robinson's Requiem is possibly better to read a LP than actually playing it. It's a torture.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Is the Stalker series any good? All I can remember from the release way back when was that it suffered from a shit load of bugs and had some of that Eastern European shovelware feel to it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is the Stalker series any good?
Iz that rethorical question?

had some of that Eastern European shovelware feel to it.
ahahahagit out
Especially firefights with lack of kwans guns and killstreaks.

Didn't know that after few years it get some patches and - most important - fan base that release lot of mods.

The other game? Miasmata.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Miasmata felt too empty and pointless... it got simply bored after 2 hours, and I enjoyed Dear Esther, so it means something.

Pathologic, on the other hand, I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for. It certainly is an environment survival, but set in urban setting (no wilderness at all) and focuses on C&C and story just as much as on surviving part (which has a lot to do with C&C). Anyway you can read my short review about it: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8610

Stalker is also rather too story-focused to fit.

The only game I know of that fits the description and is great is Unreal World. Definitely worth checking out.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014

No. Why would I ask rhetorical questions when looking for advice on games? (Hint: That was a rhetorical question.)
ahahahagit out
Especially firefights with lack of kwans guns and killstreaks.[/quote]

So is it a good game, or not?

Didn't know that after few years it get some patches and - most important - fan base that release lot of mods.

The other game? Miasmata.

Okay, cool. Thanks.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Stalker
DayZ

Far Cry 2 (on hard difficulty, without the F5 quicksave spam, it's a brutal survival game; probably next best to STALKER, AI-wise)

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Far Cry 2 has no survival elements. It's about going from enemy outpost to enemy outpost, shooting retards with telescopic accuracy and pulling bullets out of your leg to heal yourself.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Unreal World is really good and detailed. But the problem is it lacks of content later on. Once you've built your house, stocked with enough food, and got some nice equipment, the game turns into a never ending loop of "just another day". At least that's what the late game was the last time I played it (which was years ago).

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Far Cry 2 has no survival elements.

Only if you define "survival" as "game forcing you to press a button to eat, shit and pee every five minutes."

It's about going from enemy outpost to enemy outpost, shooting retards with telescopic accuracy and pulling bullets out of your leg to heal yourself.

And you just described vanilla STALKER SOC (other than the pulling bullets out part of course).

shooting retards with telescopic accuracy

Lol @calling Far Cry 2 AI "retards" and complaining about capable enemies shooting back at you with decent accuracy. I guess Ubisoft heard you and made the AI in Far Cry 3 stupidly oblivious, just for you.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What pisses me off in Far Cry 2 is that everyone needs to be shot a dozen times until they die.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate

No. Why would I ask rhetorical questions when looking for advice on games? (Hint: That was a rhetorical question.)
ahahahagit out
Especially firefights with lack of kwans guns and killstreaks.

.[/quote]

Stop asking questions and go sink a few hundred hours into the STALKER series.

After that you won't even want to touch the other mentioned games.

Get out of here stalker!

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
What pisses me off in Far Cry 2 is that everyone needs to be shot a dozen times until they die.

Realism Mod
However, you are now as vulnerable as the AI. A single burst of rifle fire can kill you, so you are probably going to need that extra ammo and stealth suit.

So did they change how the AI sees through vegetation, smoke and shit?

The AI are also more likely to shoot at "interesting" objects, like your past location, explosions, etc.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Far Cry 2 has no survival elements.

Only if you define "survival" as "game forcing you to press a button to eat, shit and pee every five minutes."

It's about going from enemy outpost to enemy outpost, shooting retards with telescopic accuracy and pulling bullets out of your leg to heal yourself.

And you just described vanilla STALKER SOC (other than the pulling bullets out part of course).

shooting retards with telescopic accuracy

Lol @calling Far Cry 2 AI "retards" and complaining about capable enemies shooting back at you with decent accuracy. I guess Ubisoft heard you and made the AI in Far Cry 3 stupidly oblivious, just for you.

Survival is about, hmm, survival. Far Cry 2 is as much a survival game as Call of Duty 4 is a survival game. You have to avoid getting hit by bullets in order to survive firefights. There are malaria pills, but they didn't play any major part in the ten hours or so I spent going from automatically respawning outpost to automatically respawning outpost.

Enemies follow your character exactly. I remember when playing the game before giving it up, their aiming pattern was so formulaic that I was able to figure it out and test it very quickly. They always know where you are, and once you get behind an object they keep firing with the exact same pattern until a set short amount of time has passed. If you get behind a thin penetrable wall, like sheet metal, they will keep firing with the same exact amount of aimbot and continuously hit you until that hidden timer goes off and they go back into unaware mode.

spectre

Arcane
"decado said:
How on earth did you miss the monster of a thread?
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-of-chernobyl-is-it-worth-it-no-really.79197/
tl,dr - Call of Pripyat with certain mods is great. You will get a lot of "ohshitohshit, how do I survive that" moments.

Far Cries are not survival games, they are hiking sim fps at best. Fucking Minecraft has more survival elements than that.

Some other games you can look into are Don't Starve and State of Decay (if you can handle yet another zombie survival).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom