Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 1

Steam seems to just pick the most convenient set of pics laying around. Wizardry 7's screens have one character called "GOGCOM".

pippin

sometimes they don't even bother to remove gog's files from their games; all the RoA trilogy games have a goggame.dll file and System Shock 2 has a "gog" icon file. I don't really know how that works, but it's quite lazy from both gog and the publishers to allow something like that.

Murk

Arcane
How's that lazy from GOG?

IT's lazy from whoever is brokering the deal and steam for just using copy/pastes of GOG's already copy/paste.

Eh, most players won't be looking at the filenames, so the less they fuck around with those the better. But you'd expect them to check promo screens for watermarks or player characters named DONGS or something.

I just checked the other Wizardries and they look GOG-free. I'm sure some other games previouly sold there have it, though. A little """treasure"""" hunt for some bored person out there.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
Heheh, Gundalf and GOGCOM

ss_ab53be9c757079865878f087d291b716c17e6ade.600x338.jpg

5/7 of thep ics have GOGCOM and the other 2 are looking at only one char (gundalf and buppi)

Murk

Arcane
"billy the samurai"

reminds me of all of the "Sir John Smith" chumps I'd regularly run into in Dark Souls 2. "Sir Scott Jund" oh word dog? You got enough creativity to come up with a knight's title but not enough to change your birth name?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I had no idea there were japanese kamikazes in Wizardry 7. I knew Space Travel was involved in that series' story, but still, that's pushing it a bit far.

final_countdown01.jpg

Reminds me of the days when boxart still had pre-release/alpha/beta/whatever screens on the back. Even magazines were guilty of that shit.

Murk

Arcane
That was something about the Age of Empires 2 jewel case that bugged the shit out of me. I had a euro verision and the farms looked completely different than the ones in game or on the US box. I was always confused about it but had no idea why.

I guess the beta screens would have been the reason?

pippin

That was something about the Age of Empires 2 jewel case that bugged the shit out of me. I had a euro verision and the farms looked completely different than the ones in game or on the US box. I was always confused about it but had no idea why.

I guess the beta screens would have been the reason?

I remember when I got the first AoE, probably the Gold version, and it had some screens from an early version of AoE2.
I've always thought the building look way better on those images.

screenshotcuq.png

screen5i.png

screen4cb.png

screen3io.png

screen2lr.png

screen1kta.png

screen6wu.png

but that's enough thread derailing for now :P

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Had I known this was common practice, I would have created a new thread not specific to Gothic 1 instead of necroing a 2009 one :oops:

I was aware of the RoA gogcom dll files though, someone mentioned it in another thread.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Jaesun Let's make this thread about promo/demo pics that never appeared into the final game :

0kicu371b0k60536g.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom