Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 DX11 patch

Gord

Arcane
Is all of this stuff available yet?

What you see in the vids/screenshots is already available. Feature-wise they have implemented quite a lot. Stability and performance will need to be improved a bit, I think, but it seems they did manage better performance and increased view-distance compared to vanilla by offloading some rendering processes from CPU to GPU.
AMD cards seem to have some problems so far, though.

One can keep the original textures, too, meaning that aside from lighting it looks basically the same (lighting can be adjusted as well, though).
In case one wants some eye-candy features that are texture related (normal maps, etc.) there are complete high-res replacements available or vanilla-texture extensions, afaik.

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
The lighting and water look fantastic but I'm really not digging the high definition textures. I think one of the most overlooked aspects of the first two Gothic games was its vibrant palette. A Danish person once taught me the word "hygge", which has no English equivalent but is somewhat synonymous with coziness or hominess. As an American, I'm sure my concept of hygge is far different from a Dane's, but Gothic's palette evokes my own idea of it. The colors, especially of the earth and forest, were so warm and rich, more similar to a 2D Amiga game than any contemporary 3D game. The HD textures have such low contrast and feel dreary; the changes to the town are baffling. Anyway, I hope you can upgrade to DX11 without those HD textures. Even though they look nice, the game loses something very distinct.

I'm glad that there are still people out there that care enough about the game to improve it like this.

The textures come from the Hiver mod, the DX11 mod doesn't replace any asset. Besides a pack of normal maps for the vanilla textures has been made.

subotaiy

Cipher
The first video has some locations that aren't from the original game , is also modded.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried "hi res" texture packs for Gothic 2. They "felt" wrong.
Try Gothic HD packs. They change the gloomy and sinister penal camp into colorful disneyland :lol: Much of the atmosphere goes away.

Ivan

Arcane
going to start Gothic for the first time. any tips (e.g. magic is ez mode, melee hard, dont invest in lockpicks, etc). also, any mods I should be using? This will be Gothic 1.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I'm still pissed at the DX11 Patch not solving my stuttering issues in Gothic 2, otherwise I would have finished that game like a month ago.

Gothic was awesome, Gothic II was jaw-dropping by comparison, and then I run into those stupid stutters that totally killed the experience for me.

going to start Gothic for the first time. any tips (e.g. magic is ez mode, melee hard, dont invest in lockpicks, etc). also, any mods I should be using? This will be Gothic 1.

Download and install in this order if you have GOG version:

- gothic1_playerkit-1.08k.exe
- g1classic-systempack-1.5

That's all you really need. Depending on how you play the game can be easy or hard, so just go with the flow. Just remember not to use Ore in normal trading (when the bartering windows show up), since some dialog-based transactions require Ore and you can't barter with your own goods.

Ivan

Arcane
great! is there a stable dx11 mod for Gothic 1 (i would go without it if stutters)

Ivan

Arcane
skipping DX11 :salute:

some questions:

I get around just fine. CTRL is god and it's fine. I like the combat but my main question revolves around panning the camera. It seems like the best way to "explore" is by using the mouse, and when enemies are sighted switch back to arrows and CRTL (as I see no way of intiating combat stance when using mouse and arrow keys). Is there some compromise I'm not seeing here, maybe rebinding space bar to a mouse button?

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
skipping DX11 :salute:

some questions:

I get around just fine. CTRL is god and it's fine. I like the combat but my main question revolves around panning the camera. It seems like the best way to "explore" is by using the mouse, and when enemies are sighted switch back to arrows and CRTL (as I see no way of intiating combat stance when using mouse and arrow keys). Is there some compromise I'm not seeing here, maybe rebinding space bar to a mouse button?

If this was months ago I would easily answer, but my memory is kind of blurry.

I think what I did was map the combat and the camera movement to the mouse. So with the mouse I moved the camera, and my left click worked as CTRL. Thus, if I wanted to attack, I would click Left Click and then use the corresponding key (WASD).

Ivan

Arcane
I think I got it. Thanks man. Just made it to the old camp. I sure hope I find some weapons with better range. It's pretty shit when you go for a swing only to hit air and the enemy counters back 3 hits in a row.

figured it out. it's kinda like System Shock 1. you can use a and d to strafe when in combat (space bar) and you can just use W and the mouse (interact/jump/camera panning) to explore.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
made it to the New Camp. it was very cool that I coudl get into the bar by wearing the miner's outfit. is there fast travel in this or is the map small enough to not be an issue? i'm picking up tons of quests.

Murk

Arcane
You eventually get teleportation stones to key areas.

Ivan

Arcane
awesome. also, should i be conservative with my skill points? is it true that many/most skills only have 2 proficiencies?

also, is the following a bug: every time I swing my sword there's like a mini swing that follows. idk if this has to do with my ineptitude in swords, such that I have to let go of the attack button (CTRL or L mouse button) if I want to chain forward slashes. just found it weird. will come back here after I level up my combat skills to see if that's the cause.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
awesome. also, should i be conservative with my skill points? is it true that many/most skills only have 2 proficiencies?

also, is the following a bug: every time I swing my sword there's like a mini swing that follows. idk if this has to do with my ineptitude in swords, such that I have to let go of the attack button (CTRL or L mouse button) if I want to chain forward slashes. just found it weird. will come back here after I level up my combat skills to see if that's the cause.

Ineptitud of skill. I too thought the combat was buggy until I reached the higher levels.

And yes, be conservative with your skill points, in the sense of "don't try to maximize all your weapon proficiencies". Focus on two different skills, and the rest dump it on your stats.

Ivan

Arcane
some thoughts after 6-8 hours:

ladders are atrocious: usually fall off the final rung

not being able to hit multiple enemies sucks, esp in tight areas (goblin packs, skeletons, minecrawlers)

backtracking sucks (I think the teleportation runes are given out too slowly)

but damn this is immersive. the Old Camp feels like home. the item progression is great!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

not being able to hit multiple enemies sucks, esp in tight areas (goblin packs, skeletons, minecrawlers)

but damn this is immersive. the Old Camp feels like home. the item progression is great!
How do you imagine hitting multiple enemies? Magicks? Gothic has magicks, sure, but it doesn't overdo it, so there's no magical swords penetrating unlimited layers.

If you backtrack a lot you're playing wrong. You're not supposed to wander back and forth between camps for each single quest. Just do everything you can in one camp, then go to another with multiple quests to finish there.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Ladders are fucking awful and there was one time when I had to think my way out of a room because I kept falling from the ladder. I don't mind backtracking because I always kept finding new things. The combat in Gothic just sucks, it relies on too many button combinations and because of its nature it's easy to mispress your buttons and fail horribly (and die horribly).

However, as much as it sucks because of its complexity, I love it because of that same reason. And the item progression is amazing, reminds me of Fallout 1's armor progression.

Ivan

Arcane
it does suck. not being able to hit more than 1 enemy with a greatsword or greataxe sucks (esp in the beginning when u have peasant armor). anyway. chapter 5 now. where can i buy scrolls to kill the golems? also i really like how you cant kill humans. u can loot humans for their unique weapons and they'll still be cool with you afterward.

JoKa

Cipher
You CAN kill humans, just coup de grace them when they're on the ground (Crtl+ Up, if I recall correctly).

Ivan

Arcane
ya I'm almost near the end of the game and I just found out i can "kill" humans. oh well.

how hyped should I be for Gothic 2? is it a considerable leap?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
ya I'm almost near the end of the game and I just found out i can "kill" humans. oh well.

Performance issues aside, it's an incredible sequel as far as I could tell in 10 hours or so of gameplay. The world looks beautiful compared to Gothic I, even.

nomask7

Arcane

A lot more content, more freedom in how to progress in early game (though some of it is like easter eggs and you'll probably miss it), a lot more challenging, and even the Valley they stole from Gothic 1 has been altered in major ways and turned into something that's a piece of art (in my possibly biased opinion, at least).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom