Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 DX11 patch

I'm actually replaying Gothic 1 now. I think it's better than 2, but both were very impressive games (especially for the time). To think a game from Europistan had a decent 3D representation with a full day/night cycle with individual NPC schedules and a proper character progression/skill system, not to mention pretty decent combat, in 2001 is pretty mindboggling. I played it on release but I don't remember being blown away by it - perhaps because I didn't expect the decline that would come in the decade and a half ahead.

I'm convinced that the Gothic games are the main inspiration for the Witcher series, I can only imagine what kind of wonderful game CDPR could put out if it didn't treat the player like a bumbling mongoloid.

my game looks gorgeous and I didn't use the DX11 mod.

That's the Gothic II magic right there. I remember playing it straight after finishing Gothic I, and thinking it looked like a next-gen game (well, for its time). The trees, the vegetation, the everything.

I'll leave my Gothic II playthrough for the future (and Gothic 3 and Risen in consequence), when I get a better PC so I can avoid the stutter and enjoy it at its max. A shame, but I don't want my experience tainted.
I have a 1070 and an i7 running at 4.5ghz and Gothic 2 still stutters even with the DX11 renderer (which is pretty amateurish and glitchy, by the way). I wouldn't wait if I were you.

nomask7

Arcane
I have a 1070 and an i7 running at 4.5ghz and Gothic 2 still stutters even with the DX11 renderer (which is pretty amateurish and glitchy, by the way). I wouldn't wait if I were you.

That's strange. The game doesn't stutter for me even with 300% view distance, using RX 460, although it did with my weaker, older graphics card.

I'm guessing in your case it's something to do with drivers or some other software issue. I suppose if compatibility with ever newer hardware and software keeps getting worse as the years pass, at some point one will have to start using WINE to emulate Gothic 2.

Ivan

Arcane
dialogue in Gothic 2 be like:

anyways, need help:

trying to fight high lv enemies but im having trouble backing up after chaining the second attack (usually initiates a block) is this a dex thing?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
There's a bit of a delay when you use the forward attack and try to backstep. Try using the side swipes when you want to backstep quicker.

That's strange. The game doesn't stutter for me even with 300% view distance, using RX 460, although it did with my weaker, older graphics card.

I'm guessing in your case it's something to do with drivers or some other software issue. I suppose if compatibility with ever newer hardware and software keeps getting worse as the years pass, at some point one will have to start using WINE to emulate Gothic 2.
Stutters at 3140x2160. Runs fine at 1080p.

nomask7

Arcane
Stutters at 3140x2160. Runs fine at 1080p.

Why do you expect you should be able to play it without stuttering at some astronomical resolution? Gothic 2 renders everything you see at a high resolution, where a more typical game like Two Worlds lets you see like a few in-game meters in high res around your character, not to mention makes grass disappear a lot sooner than scenery, and uses distant landscape instead of rendering normal textures at a distance. Like I said, Gothic 2 wasn't intended to run with super high view distance, it has none of the smoke and mirrors that are used in newer games to make games appear to have long draw distance. Don't blame the game, blame your ridiculous resolution and draw distance.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Forgot to add strafing can also get you out of a forward attack which is useful for dealing with lunging enemies.

A600

Educated
Very interesting video about the Gothic saga:

I never played Gothic and, after reading this thread, I gave it a try and I'm loving it :salute: (especially the fact that I can play it with only the cursors and two keys)

Sykar

Arcane
Very interesting video about the Gothic saga:

I never played Gothic and, after reading this thread, I gave it a try and I'm loving it :salute: (especially the fact that I can play it with only the cursors and two keys)

One of the comments:

"Yeah, Risen 3 was pretty solid. Also, after revisiting Risen 2, it was not a bad game at all. It's different and doesn't feel like a PB game but it was still a decent game. I have big hopes in ELEX and I hope that they go back to appropriate quest descriptions instead of using markers on a"

:negative:

Ivan

Arcane
dat feel when you make every creature in ACT 1 your bitch, only to run into a shadowbeast to put you back in your place
:love:

why didn't Witcher 3 copy this?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
dat feel when you make every creature in ACT 1 your bitch, only to run into a shadowbeast to put you back in your place
:love:

why didn't Witcher 3 copy this?

Because Gothic and Gothic II were designed exclusively for the PC audience.

The Witcher 3 was designed exclusively for the console audience.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Anyone who had problems with the renderer before should check out version 17.4 it seems to have fixed a lot of problems I had with it. Haven't had any crashes or freezing yet either.
svswkz.jpg

throwaway

Cipher
Anyone who had problems with the renderer before should check out version 17.4 it seems to have fixed a lot of problems I had with it. Haven't had any crashes or freezing yet either.
svswkz.jpg
Any idea where to access a changelog for 17.4?

ortucis

Prophet
I haven't finished Gothic 2 yet (will replay it anyway) but I played it few months ago without any mods.

Game looks REALLY good and I spent opening segment just admiring the first farm area. It looks so beautiful.

Will have to try the game with DX11 renderer though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

So those cards have 2GB VRAM and more, right? Kind of explains why I stutter with my 1GB card. Even so, the stutter only goes away if I lower my view distances to percentages as low as 70% or something (this happens only in a few locations I've travelled to, most importantly, near that bridge where a guy is asking for stone tablets, and next to the building that the "blue" warrior faction inhabits, right where a dude asks you to retrieve a sheep).

I really need to replay Gothic I before I play Gothic II, I can hardly remember anything that isn't "Magicians of Fire" and "Magicians of Water".

Ivan

Arcane
i can't try the dx 11 mod MID GAME right? the game is gorgeous and i only notice frame drops when i increase the draw distance 2 much. but the game is gorgeous as is

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
i can't try the dx 11 mod MID GAME right? the game is gorgeous and i only notice frame drops when i increase the draw distance 2 much. but the game is gorgeous as is

Yes you can. But make sure you have a powerful system. Otherwise, it will happen the same that happened to me: I thought the game was gorgeous, instaled DX11, saw what gorgeous truly was, and had to uninstall because my FPS were shit. The game never looked gorgeous again... :(

Ivan

Arcane
thanks ill try it out and share my thoughts. ive pumped some 8 hours into it nad havent finished Khorinis yet. always something new to find!

To be honest the DX11 renderer doesn't look amazing, and the lighting is very wrong - at night you can't see shit, sunsets are kinda messed up, etc. It's still a work in progress I guess, but I kind of prefer the original look. The point of the new renderer isn't even improving looks, it's improving performance by offloading some stuff from the CPU to the GPU.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
To be honest the DX11 renderer doesn't look amazing, and the lighting is very wrong - at night you can't see shit, sunsets are kinda messed up, etc. It's still a work in progress I guess, but I kind of prefer the original look. The point of the new renderer isn't even improving looks, it's improving performance by offloading some stuff from the CPU to the GPU.

Eh, I disagree about the lighting. To me, the renderer make some pretty amazing changes, like SSAO, shadows, dynamic lighting, and the lighting looks considerably better IMO than the vanilla one. It looks more realistic, more bright and with more contrast.

Sadly it didn't improve performance for me at all, but then again, this is because there isn't an automated "performance" setting to match the settings of the vanilla game while still working its performance magic on the background.

Ivan

Arcane
to each his own. i tried it for a bit and didn't have any real fps lost but i don't like the lighting. it feels wrong. there's an apt mona lisa comparison jpg that fits.

i think it looks gorgeous all on its own.

nomask7

Arcane
So those cards have 2GB VRAM and more, right? Kind of explains why I stutter with my 1GB card. Even so, the stutter only goes away if I lower my view distances to percentages as low as 70% or something (this happens only in a few locations I've travelled to, most importantly, near that bridge where a guy is asking for stone tablets, and next to the building that the "blue" warrior faction inhabits, right where a dude asks you to retrieve a sheep).

I really need to replay Gothic I before I play Gothic II, I can hardly remember anything that isn't "Magicians of Fire" and "Magicians of Water".

Mine has 4GB and also four times the raw processing power of my older 1GB card. You can google "card model" and "benchmark" to compare them. In your case I guess the amount of VRAM could indeed be the issue, since your card isn't exactly weak in terms of processing power.

Games like this can stutter in a few spots or under a few circumstances (e.g. night with a lot of lights in a complex city) even with solid hardware due to how badly optimised they are for newer drivers, but if you need to use a view distance under 180% or something with your specs to have a playable game then something's wrong, at least if we're talking about the original renderer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom