Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 DX11 patch

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not saying it's great. But perhaps worth seeing. It's a very different beast, there is little left of the charm of part 1 and 2, but quite impressive in its scope and ambition on its own.

JRIz

Augur
I second that about checking out Gothic 3 if you liked 1 and 2. It's a different game, but it still has some of the things going for it that made its predecessors good, like one of the most detailed and most extensive game worlds of all games.

As to Risen: Yes, the boss fight against the skeleton is a highlight of the later chapters. If only they had put in more of that. As it is, Risen becomes a mediocre dungeon slog with light puzzle elements after the Gothic vibe from the first chapter has passed away for good.

One thing I wondered about is the perk progression with melee weapons. First, you can block strikes against yourself and hit right back with a power attack. Then you learn how to parry (block and hit at the same time), but those parries have much worse damage output than the power attack and have a shorter range on top of that. How is that an improvement?

Murk

Arcane
G3 is a good hiking/deer hunting simulator. Also, huge world and great music.

G2+NotR is brilliance, and I lament that we will probably never see its like again.

There's lots of loot to be had with TK in Risen 1, not all of which is obvious.

I did like that the spells were focused on utility, I just wish there were more opportunities to use them -- but hey, better than scripted sequences.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Patched G3 is one of the greatest action RPGs ever. There simply ISN'T a more open open world anywhere. If the old PB had time to finish the fucking thing it'd blow everyone's mind. Unfortunately they launched a travesty and a few people took the time to go back and check out the patched version a few years later. Now fools like Great Deceiver are talking out of their asses and spreading the hate. Fuck this gay Earth.

Ivan

Arcane
what I keep seeing: the WORLD is massive and varied. the CONTENT (quest design, itemization, skill progression, combat) is bereft of meaningful player choice and charm.

does that just about sum it up? I mean, hell, there was logic and reason behind why I doled out water bottles in G1 (still a wimp that couldn't defend himself) or picked turnips in G2 (disadvantaged and needed info to get by the town guards).

I just don't want to bother with a massive playspace whose content wasn't, and that's unfortunate since they proved themselves w/ G1 and G2, properly implemented throughout it.

Murk

Arcane
There's very little of the world/setting/interaction of G2.

The one cool thing is seeing change on a shallow but massive scale -- literally running orcs and/or humans out of cities.

There are also some interesting spells, and the cities do look dope as hell.

Still, nordmar alone is worth it for the trip. Just don't go in expecting G2 or Risen 1.

If you're craving this style of play -- stick to Arx Fatalis. Later, when you are bored, try G3 with the community patch.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
what I keep seeing: the WORLD is massive and varied. the CONTENT (quest design, itemization, skill progression, combat) is bereft of meaningful player choice and charm.

There you're describing Two Worlds. G3 gets a -deservedly- bad rap because G2 was such a high point and G3's release was a fucking shambles. First impressions are strong but the game itself isn't bad per se, and the community managed to improve it a lot over the years (game released in 2006, last community patch is from 2012).

The game is definitely better than the sum of its parts, just don't expect Gothic 2.5.

Last edited:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Patched G3 is one of the greatest action RPGs ever. There simply ISN'T a more open open world anywhere. If the old PB had time to finish the fucking thing it'd blow everyone's mind. Unfortunately they launched a travesty and a few people took the time to go back and check out the patched version a few years later. Now fools like Great Deceiver are talking out of their asses and spreading the hate. Fuck this gay Earth.

The only reason I played G3 FG(when it was the truly awful Indian release version) was to get to play in Myrtana again. Love the design of it.Just has an organic feel that until Witcher 3, wasn't found anywhere else and unlike W3, being contiguous it actually fits together even better, the way the geography has this natural sloping feel from the mountain border of Nordmar and how the temperate zones smoothly merge at Varant's deserts. Passes and far flung areas with secrets were also expertly designed and felt natural and not just sprinkled randomly like in ES games.

Patched G3 is one of the greatest action RPGs ever.

Patched Oblivion destroys patched Gothic 3.

Nah, the Skyrim patch helps, but it's still far. Maybe it approaches Two Worlds or Forsaken Gods though.

Doktor Best

Arcane
G3 is still way better than Risen 2/3.
Sadly thats not true.

Ivan. Spare yourself the world of emotional hurt that is playing Gothic3. Its like cuddling your stillborn.

And believe me. I wanted it to be good so fucking bad. I was in delusion for weeks. Some other unfortunate souls are still after years and several unfruitful attempts to resurrect the game with community patches.

Ivan

Arcane
Thanks bro. I knew I shouldn't have trusted tepid Codexian optimism over a shady title.

it does suck. not being able to hit more than 1 enemy with a greatsword or greataxe sucks (esp in the beginning when u have peasant armor). anyway. chapter 5 now. where can i buy scrolls to kill the golems? also i really like how you cant kill humans. u can loot humans for their unique weapons and they'll still be cool with you afterward.

"I must remember to be kind" -Nick Cave

Am I the only one who things that Nick Cave '85-'95 would be a great soundtrack for Gothic?

nomask7

Arcane
Ideally you shouldn't trust anyone and try it for yourself but whatever makes you feel comfy I guess.

No, you should always trust the edgy teen kiddies. :lol:

Personally, I didn't have trouble deciding what to play after Gothic 2 Gold, I just replayed it from start to finish, then played through it again a few times.

A true fan would see Gothic 2 is unique and as such something you shouldn't even expect to be replicated. Piranha Bytes were right to attempt something entirely different with Gothic 3.

When I finally played the original Gothic, it seemed like a mediocre bore because it was too similar to Gothic 2 Gold, just not nearly as good. Risen suffered a bit from that too. On the other hand, Gothic 3 was something entirely different and worth playing as such. It's not one of my favorite games, but it remains an original game and worth checking out for that reason alone. Oh, and Risen 3 is better than Risen 1 in all other ways except combat system.

Ivan

Arcane
"Gothic 3 is the latest addition, and, in my opinion, the best game in the Gothic series, developed by Piranha Bytes, a German developer."

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mind you, somehow VD had no slowdowns/stutters anything whatsoever with 3, which just ain't true no more.
Oh, and Risen 3 is better than Risen 1 in all other ways except combat system.
Hnng, the combat is a BIG part of PB stuff dude.
How bad/good is Risen 3 combat compared to Risen 2?

nomask7

Arcane
Hnng, the combat is a BIG part of PB stuff dude.
How bad/good is Risen 3 combat compared to Risen 2?

I haven't played Risen 2, but they pretty much used the same game world for Risen 3, so I'd say worth playing only one or the other.

That said, the melee combat is like Arkham Knight, which is something like the archetypical popamole of melee fighting. A lot of people like it, but it basically boils down to stun locking a monster until you need to dodge some other monster, which is often, then stun locking the new monster until harassed by the rest again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom