Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 2 would be 5 times better if the fucking trees faded out when near

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Notr goblins are no joke in numbers. Goblin skeletons, forget it until level 6 or near systemic memorization of AI patterns.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
gothic 2 with addon is perfect the way it is...
Correct. If you download a trainer and scale back the monster difficulty to what it was in vanilla G2 before NOTR skullfucked anything remotely resembling balance and made it necessary to reload 10+ times to defeat the first fucking goblin you meet outside of Xardas' tower.
NotR balance is fine, vanilla Gothic II was too easy and exploitable. Combat is hard in the early stages but if you have halfway decent timing you can kill most weaker enemies one-on-one. This is a nice way of saying that you suck at G2. :: shrugs ::

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Eh? I haven't played vanilla Gothic 2, only with NotR and the difficulty seemed fine.

NotR enemies do more damage and have more HPs, among other things like dragons regenerating, but there's so much more content it balances things out enough so at least people who played Gothic or base Gothic 2 won't have many problems.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh? I haven't played vanilla Gothic 2, only with NotR and the difficulty seemed fine.

NotR enemies do more damage and have more HPs, among other things like dragons regenerating, but there's so much more content it balances things out enough so at least people who played Gothic or base Gothic 2 won't have many problems.

It's easy if you've played g2, I guess. But the impact of training skills feels slower compared to gothic.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's easy if you've played g2, I guess. But the impact of training skills feels slower compared to gothic.

They made it slower to make it harder. :) Not only are 1handed and 2handed not learned at the same time anymore, but the cost of cranking your stats goes up as you crank them.
NotR is not really for Gothic newbs, which made it kind of refreshing to play.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Read: "frustrating, twinked"

'Hey guys, it's totally great design to encourage stat+ consumables tp be used as late as possible; oh and 1/3+ enemies armour while you're at it'

Emily

Arcane
Read: "frustrating, twinked"

'Hey guys, it's totally great design to encourage stat+ consumables tp be used as late as possible; oh and 1/3+ enemies armour while you're at it'
i actuality agree with you. Using consumables tp as late as possible is shit design.
However i found NOTR to be very balanced and fun game.
It is a fucking game, you are meant to learn and improve. If you want to watch a movie, there is plenty of COD's, Mass asses, oblivions etc.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
NotR wasn't that hard. You just need to deal with a fact, that it's better not to attack an orc elite with your rusty sword with 2nd level armour...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

While I agree with the +stat consumable thing, there are other ways to get +stats that aren't in base Gothic 2... but it sounds like you just wanna whine about how unforgiving or "hard" NotR is, instead of being thankful that you can play a ARPG that doesn't condescend to you?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Getting high stats in NotR isn't hard, but it's kinda gay how you have to hoard all those stat boost items and innos prayers until the very last minute. So until then you'll be scraping along and then suddenly you go full He-Man. On my current play I cranked up my mana to 64 using LP's, then after that I used all the mana stat boosts and made potions and am sitting at 315 mana with the Priest amulet and rings included + 120 dex. My Fire Magician is a physical god who cannot be reasoned with or stopped by any force on earth. So, yeah, it's pretty shit design as SCO put it and promotes a "NO FUN ALLOWED" way of power gaming.

curry

Arcane
It would also be better if it was as open-ended as the first one. I find myself running around narrow trails just to complete the headache amount of quests in the Night of the Raven expansion.

You should play it without NotR for a much better experience.

Coyote

Arcane
I certainly can identify with the obsessive-compulsive need to optimize your use of stat-boosting items, but in my experience NotR (and most of PB's work, TBH) is much more enjoyable if you stop worrying about powergaming. The progression of your character is smoother and the endgame retains some challenge instead of being a total cakewalk. The last time I played through it, I used stat-boosting items mostly as I came across them, and it was a much more rewarding experience than spending 2/3 of the game underpowered for the sake of becoming a god in the last hour or two.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Must... agonize... over... every... last... goblinberry... and... dragonroot...

Emily

Arcane
I guess a lot of gamers are insecure about playing the game(and probably about rl as well) , that they feel they must optimize everything or they wont be able to finish the game...

Murk

Arcane
Or don't. Just use them when your stats hit 60ish -- you won't be able to use the berserker axe or dragon bow but whatever, sometimes you're not that awesome.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Define "have to".

I can use a stat boost pot for 5 mana now, or I can spend 10 LP for that 5 mana and then use the pot when it costs 15 or 20 LP to get 5 mana. The scaling LP cost sucks penis. Not optimizing my mana up the ass isn't an option since the MP costs of the spells are ridiculously high. Strength and Dexterity is less of an issue.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's a rebalancing mod out there that discounts points raised by items or praying when calculating how many learning points you need to spend. When you have trained your str to 29, and then used dragonroots to raise it to 34, raising it by one more point still only costs 1 LP.
The mod also removes a possible exploit. It is possible to raise a stat to 29, then raise it by 5 more points for only 5 LP. With the mod, it would cost 9 LP. It's more of a fix of the stat raising, rather than a rebalancing.

It also comes with some weapon stat and other LP cost rebalances (most strong weapons have higher stat requirements, hunting skills cost less LP to learn) but I generally find it to be a very good mod.

Murk

Arcane
Honestly, I enjoy the barely scraping by feel. Once I hit that point int he game where Elite Orcs are no longer a "OH SHIT OH SHIT" threat, I just kinda start a new character.

But fire rain tricks are so fun ;D

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I haven't touched the Gothic games in 5+ years, but from what I could tell from playing "vanilla" NOTR, the sea monster was removed from the seas outside of Khorinis and moved to the ocean in the new map.

To be honest, I'm not really inclined in replaying G1/G2 again. Last time I tried, I power-gamed so hard to try to reach the highest possible level. I barely got to 58 in G2:NOTR.

Stonewolf

Augur
NOTR skullfucked anything remotely resembling balance and made it necessary to reload 10+ times to defeat the first fucking goblin you meet outside of Xardas' tower.

Bullcrap.

There's a rebalancing mod out there

How about tackling the challenge instead of using whats essentially a fucking trainer. That mod does a lot more than fixing LP bugs. NOTR isn't that hard, I played it without playing G2 first, it wasn't easy in some places but that's where you need to use the brain instead of LMB.

The only real shit part is that you need to stockpile the herbs and without metagame knowledge you wouldnt do that because game gives you absolutely no hints about this, same for prayers.

Also, they still haven't fixed Lares gamebreaking bug that screws most people that are playing the first time. After nine years.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beliar's claw almost throws the need for careful stat building out the window. Almost.

Did they ever fix that bug where Onar removes money from a merc instead of paying him?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only way someone new to G2 NoTR could get fucked is if they spread stat points all over the place -- other than that you certainly don't have to min/max or metagame to beat it.

Stonewolf

Augur
You will be frustrated by having too low STR/DEX to use anything reasonable when you need it if you dont use those herbs and tablets properly.That's the only thing really.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
^ Well, you only need 60 dex to use the Master's Sword, which is one of the best 1h weapons in the game. For 2h weapons that might be true though.

Emily

Arcane
You will be frustrated by having too low STR/DEX to use anything reasonable when you need it if you dont use those herbs and tablets properly.That's the only thing really.
i doubt it, i played very loosely optimized char and i remember i had like 30-40 more STR then the best sword required

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom