Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 3 community patch 1.75 released

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The combat is shit with or without the community patch. It cannot be fixed without the source code and unfortunately, PB lost the franchise right at that moment.

So, if you can stomach shit for long time, give it a try. Otherwise play Watch Dogs or some other shit. Cheers.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The melee combat in this game is ass. Best advice is to play a mage. You aren't going to get anything close to the melee experience as you will in the first two Gothics or Risen 1. G3 is worth a playthrough to see the massive amount of ambition PB had for finally showing us Gothic's world 'proper' (i.e. not limited to the Colony or an island). Unfortunately they made a lot of poor design decisions and the majority of Varant and Nordmar are bereft of anything but the most tedious of content bordering on MMO quality.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
The melee combat in this game is ass. Best advice is to play a mage. You aren't going to get anything close to the melee experience as you will in the first two Gothics or Risen 1.

Correct.

Revenant

It cannot be fixed without the source code and unfortunately, PB lost the franchise right at that moment.
The community patch developers do have the source code. I doubt many of the modifications introduced by the CP would have been possible otherwise.

tindrli

Arcane
Ok Bros, im installing and will report if im able to play. will set to lowest possible everything

Wish me luck

Morkar Left

For G3 you want the best pc possible, playing with lowest settings is no fun at all. Textures are blurry and speed is even lower as it already is with normal settings.

tindrli

Arcane
For G3 you want the best pc possible, playing with lowest settings is no fun at all. Textures are blurry and speed is even lower as it already is with normal settings.

currently the best PC that i have is HP 630 laptop that i mentioned above, but then again im not interested in graphic. now i just want decent FPS

Morkar Left

currently the best PC that i have is HP 630 laptop that i mentioned above, but then again im not interested in graphic. now i just want decent FPS

I doubt it will be fun playing with this rig. The gameplay is extremely connected to the open and realistic world and its visuals. I really like the game with the cp and mods but it has to run on a good rig to be fun. And I'm not a graphics whore either. If I were you I would just wait till you have a system good enough to play it and play some other games until then. The game is not running away and can only get better with time passing by. But it's up to you in the end to decide.

tindrli

Arcane
ALLRIGHT!!!! i started a game with these settings

LPX0vE.jpg

and i think that my shitty laftof can handle this :martini: i think im having almost 30 FPS in starting battle well maybe not 30 but i 23 FPS GOD DAMN thats for sure

Graphics are great considering the sophisticated typewriter that is running this game
uxa6cA.jpg

and im happy

now i turned on both alternative balancing and AI, and im playing on medium and we won first battle and i was just smashing a left mouse all the time so i dont know if i should even turn on alternative balancing at all since i have never played this game in a first place. nevermind, the important thing is that i can play it :D

nomask7

Arcane

Most old games would work better with old graphics cards and old drivers than new ones.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
It cannot be fixed without the source code and unfortunately, PB lost the franchise right at that moment.
The community patch developers do have the source code. I doubt many of the modifications introduced by the CP would have been possible otherwise.

I sincerely doubt that. Any real proof?

Nim

Augur

http://www.g3cpt.eu/team
The most important aspect of this support was the release of the source code, through which it would become possible to assume deeply impacting changes to the game. And indeed - already in August 2007 the source code was received by the team, which - in reference to the game - called itself "Knights of the Twelfth Chalice". A once in a lifetime opportunity for the members of the team to work on one of their beloved games series!

Or this
http://forum.nordicgames.at/showthread.php?154849-A-question-about-the-source-code-of-Gothic-3

Or numerous other post on WoG I'm way too lazy to look for now.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

http://www.g3cpt.eu/team
The most important aspect of this support was the release of the source code, through which it would become possible to assume deeply impacting changes to the game. And indeed - already in August 2007 the source code was received by the team, which - in reference to the game - called itself "Knights of the Twelfth Chalice". A once in a lifetime opportunity for the members of the team to work on one of their beloved games series!

Or this
http://forum.nordicgames.at/showthread.php?154849-A-question-about-the-source-code-of-Gothic-3

Or numerous other post on WoG I'm way too lazy to look for now.

I stand correct. You were right about this.

But you should read their detailed posts ... I don't have the time to look right now but I'm pretty sure that they found out that the combat cannot be fixed. Or let me put it in other words, I order to fix the G3 combat it is necessary to re-implement the combat system. And this is more than what the patch team can handle: designing a completely new combat system which indirectly alters the complete experience.

Therefore in the end, their decision was just to modify some small stuff like: armor values, IMBA boars, less knock-downs, improved AI and so on. But the combat system remained largely the same.

You can verify this by playing the game with and without the patch and you will find out that I might be right about this.

It's the only PB's game I did not finish ...

Nim

Augur

But you should read their detailed posts ... I don't have the time to look right now but I'm pretty sure that they found out that the combat cannot be fixed. Or let me put it in other words, I order to fix the G3 combat it is necessary to re-implement the combat system. And this is more than what the patch team can handle: designing a completely new combat system which indirectly alters the complete experience.

Therefore in the end, their decision was just to modify some small stuff like: armor values, IMBA boars, less knock-downs, improved AI and so on. But the combat system remained largely the same.

You can verify this by playing the game with and without the patch and you will find out that I might be right about this.
Iirc they would have to add more combat animations or something like that at least ? I vaguely remember something about that. Could be wrong though.

Not that I ever expected them to fix that abomination of a combat system. Would have been a monumental task and I think they didn't get paid that good lol.
But I'm not entirely happy with the CPTs job, their balancing is at times rather arbitrary and not fixing those stupid flying bandits they introduced is just lazy.
Funny seeing as you really don't have to do much to complete the game.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Iirc they would have to add more combat animations or something like that at least ? I vaguely remember something about that. Could be wrong though.

Not that I ever expected them to fix that abomination of a combat system. Would have been a monumental task and I think they didn't get paid that good lol.
But I'm not entirely happy with the CPTs job, their balancing is at times rather arbitrary and not fixing those stupid flying bandits they introduced is just lazy.

Yep. Unfortunately this is one case in which everything went wrong:
- The game had a disastrous launch and many hardcore PB fans were enraged by the state of the release which basically killed all the enthusiasm of the modding community,
- PB lost the franchise and they were unable to patch or provide support to the Gothic community therefore the opportunity to really fix this game was lost,
- The publisher was really shitty and their good will gesture of releasing the source code happened quite late while trying to generate hype for that abomination called Arcania.

Funny seeing as you really don't have to do much to complete the game.

I did finish 2 big areas of the game (2/3 of the game) but then I had to take a break and ... that was it. I tried several times to restart it but I couldn't get far after the initial battle.
Maybe one day ... if another Gothic game is released :)

tindrli

Arcane
last night, after i killed all orcs in starting village, i went and robed all houses in area without any consequences what so ever.

Revenant

Consequences may come later when (if) you liberate a town you have previously robbed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Most of the C&C in the game boils down to a simple rep grind where you choose between Orc or Human. The more towns you liberate or rebel camps you destroy the higher your favor with the respective factions. Of course even if you side with the Orcs the ones in Nordmar won't give a shit and still attack you on sight.

Nim

Augur
last night, after i killed all orcs in starting village, i went and robed all houses in area without any consequences what so ever.
If you had waited with stealing stuff in Ardea till ownership changed over to the rebels you would have had 'consequences'. Though the thieving counter system is damn stupid. Basically you can steal 20 flagged items (single or stack) till you get a warning and then after another 20 you can either bribe, bluff or beat up whatever guard accused you (best done alone though obv). Not that there is really much point to steal too much, you are going to drown in gold anyway and very few actually useful things can be stolen.

tindrli

Arcane
If you had waited with stealing stuff in Ardea till ownership changed over to the rebels you would have had 'consequences'. Though the thieving counter system is damn stupid. Basically you can steal 20 flagged items (single or stack) till you get a warning and then after another 20 you can either bribe, bluff or beat up whatever guard accused you (best done alone though obv). Not that there is really much point to steal too much, you are going to drown in gold anyway and very few actually useful things can be stolen.

dont tell me that in a huge game like this one there are not useful stuff in chests???

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Oh man... don't get me started on chests... where's the other half dozen G3 threads? Biggest problem with chests in G3: All the loot is randomized with the exception of the special chests (there's like, I dunno, 30) that have fixed loot that triggers depending on the number you've opened. So you have to find and open all 30 to get the Sword of FacePwn. All other chests... random. You could hack your way past ogres and wyverns with your reward being a couple of mana potions and cheese.

Nim

Augur
Normal chests that don't need a lockpick are fully random and utter shit lootwise.
Chests that need lockpick 2 may contain items from a pool of special items like firerain or time bubble scrolls, pure magic ore blank etc with all other stuff in it being random shit again.
Chests that need lockpick 3 contain an amount of gold usually between 250 and 500 and other random shit.
Then we have 48 heavy chests, only need a lockpick to open, fixed seed of weapons depending on number opened so far. Vast majority is either not that great or comes way too late (unless you pull up a map and get to those chests asap).
50 old chests, same principle, just mage stuff.

Yes, it is as bad as it sounds.

tindrli

Arcane
shit, in future if i ask something that will lead to a similar answer please just tell me "you dont wana know"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom