Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Gothic 3: The circle is now complete

Lancehead

Liturgist
Speaking of dragons, here's how I beat one of the dragons under Cape Dun:

iDZaeubRFftzV.jpg

The dragon followed me up to that point and got stuck. How did you get past the trolls in the cave at level 3?

Also, I often took advantage of the fact that NPCs can't jump while the Nameless can.

Malpercio

Arcane
Meh, i remember trying to get into it after installing all the fixes and patches of this world and i thought it was pretty derpy.

A shame because i loved Gothic 2/Risen.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
After I finished Risen I thought "you know, I should try out Gothic 3 again. I mean, most people say it sucks, but with the community patch there's got to be some redeeming qualities to it." I wanted to be the guy who could play it and say "no, you know what, this game is actually pretty good."

My thoughts were something like:

Why are the controls so terrible, with that really awkward loose and floaty feel to everything? Why is combat such a pathetic broken clusterfuck of "spam LMB or die"? Why is the English translation and voice acting so incomprehensibly awful? Why does the game stutter like mad when I wander around the world? Why is the world itself so empty except for flowers to pick? Why can't the NPCs give accurate instructions for how to do their quests ("sea dogs" are bandits and the "coast" is the cliff above the coast? what the fuck?)? Why is the bow the most powerful weapon in the game due to stunlocking and kiting enemies with it? Why are the load times so frustratingly long even on my SSD? Why can no regular mages use magic anymore yet you can do it by praying at a shrine? Why doesn't the mouse cursor center itself when you open your inventory or loot a container? Why does the sound just randomly decide to glitch out and stutter?

Fast forward about 3 hours of just forcing myself to play this horrible fucking game, I purged it from my hard drive. If this is the game after the community patch, I shudder to think how bad it was before it.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Why is the world itself so empty except for flowers to pick?

How are you asking that question after playing just 3 hours? The world isn't empty, it has many well designed (as in how they fit into landscape) locations to explore. The problem is how loot is generated which can leave sour taste with regards to rewards at the end of exploration.

Why can't the NPCs give accurate instructions for how to do their quests ("sea dogs" are bandits and the "coast" is the cliff above the coast? what the fuck?)?
I don't remember this example, but the instructions are not an issue as I've found it. Most of the time NPCs give you general directions (e.g. north of the village), justifiably so, and those are quite enough if you're willing to search a bit and pay attention to surroundings.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Okay, the world isn't actually that empty per se, just that it feels like there isn't much to actually find while exploring. Maybe it has something to do with the low movement speed too, or my frustration at the annoying controls/physics for movement that made everything feel much bigger and getting from A to B more of a chore.

As for quest directions, much of the time they're good. Other times even their compass directions are inaccurate.

Also, the game uses Comic Sans MS. Just saying.

MasPingon

Arcane
After I finished Risen I thought "you know, I should try out Gothic 3 again. I mean, most people say it sucks, but with the community patch there's got to be some redeeming qualities to it." I wanted to be the guy who could play it and say "no, you know what, this game is actually pretty good."

That's exactly my thoughts every time I'm thinking about Gothic. I tried 3 times with community patch, the game still is shit. That doesn't change the fact I want to play it right now thinking - I surely missed something that makes Gothic 3 fun, it's impossible this game is so freaking bad. It's Gothic after all. But you won't trick me again, Gothic 3. I know how to resist the need to play you now(trying to focus on combat system), I'm stronger then you( now remember recapturing the cities), step back( recall awful fetch quests). I beat you again, Gothic 3. Now I'm tired.

MasPingon

Arcane
Don't say you consider Arcania better game then Gothic 3. Gothic 3 is a huge letdown and suffers from bad design decisions but it's nowhere near this awful misery Arcania is.

bat_boro

Arcane
I remember being excited when Arcania first came out, I mean it looked great on the screenshots and videos. Then I played it for around maybe 10 hours, I was in some forest with some druid dude or something, I really don't remember. As I "explored" the landscape I remember that my eyes started to get wet and that's when I couldn't take it anymore. This game raped my brightest gaming memories of my early teens, it was like seeing a good friend of yours die in a trainwreck right before your eyes. So while Gothic 3 is an overly ambitios unpolished piece of software that you either love or hate (I do love it, although not as much as earlier Gothic games) Gothic 4 is just pure shit shoved down your throat. I feel sick in my stomach just at the thought of that "game"

nomask7

Arcane
Risen also has better C&C. While nothing groundbreaking it beats the MMO-style present in Gothic 3.

How so? The significant divergence Risen has is the Bandits vs Inquisition, whereas Gothic 3 has Orcs vs. Rebels in Myrtana and Hashishin vs. Nomads in Varant. Also, Gothic 3 has systematised it with faction and reputation mechanics. On individual quest level, none of the games really have any notable C&C.

Which game does?

I think one of the most remarkable examples of *freedom* in any RPG is in Night of the Raven, where, if you pursue a certain line of questioning near the beginning of the game, you gain information about the bandit fortress that will allow you to solve one of the main quests of the game right at the start. I think you have to ask the right questions the first time, because that "dialogue branch" disappears if you don't. You can't just exhaust a dialogue tree and succeed in gaining the information regardless (I think; anyway, it's easy to miss and I missed it at least twice, on two seperate playthroughs before I read about it on some forums).

Of course, whether you solve the quest in that manner or not the end result is the same, so it's not really "choices & consequences".

Tigranes

Arcane
I really wish Risen 1 or 2 had anything like G3's liberation battles or that city where King Rhobar is trapped. Usually far too hard without cheese but it can be pretty glorious.

I think the starting areas near Ardea are terrible and feel super MMO-y to travel around, but the rest of the grass region is pretty good to explore, matches G1/2.

Lancehead

Liturgist
Risen also has better C&C. While nothing groundbreaking it beats the MMO-style present in Gothic 3.

How so? The significant divergence Risen has is the Bandits vs Inquisition, whereas Gothic 3 has Orcs vs. Rebels in Myrtana and Hashishin vs. Nomads in Varant. Also, Gothic 3 has systematised it with faction and reputation mechanics. On individual quest level, none of the games really have any notable C&C.

Which game does?

Arcanum does it pretty well, I would say. Things like, getting no reward from the ghost for aiding him at the crash site, getting access to the Thieves Underground for talking your way through with the thief blocking the bridge at Shrouded Hills, permanent loss of CH for killing the seer in Tarant.

I think one of the most remarkable examples of *freedom* in any RPG is in Night of the Raven, where, if you pursue a certain line of questioning near the beginning of the game, you gain information about the bandit fortress that will allow you to solve one of the main quests of the game right at the start. I think you have to ask the right questions the first time, because that "dialogue branch" disappears if you don't. You can't just exhaust a dialogue tree and succeed in gaining the information regardless (I think; anyway, it's easy to miss and I missed it at least twice, on two seperate playthroughs before I read about it on some forums).
Talking about freedom, Gothic 3 gives near-unlimited freedom in how you approach the story. It's impossible (as far as I know) to break the story/game even by using console. Although, the game does use the not-very-creative journal-on-the-body to progress in case you choose to kill Xardas before talking to him.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Too bad Risen is mind-numbing boring. Far worse than Elder Scrolls games.

The C&C is decent but the game mechanics never drew me in and the story wasn't compelling.

CorpseZeb

Learned

No, it doesn't, FG contains only "mainland", rest bits of G3 world are cut. Only if you played G3, FG can give you some... curiosity values about how world had changed, while you were "absent". But it is a strange and creepy experience (that attitude of our hero... yuck...).

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There were just a few questions I was wondering some time ago when I played G3, but I can't find a proper lore for these. Some of you guys really seem to like the game, so perhaps you could guide me to find some answers.

1. Why was Khorinis the only place with a port in the entire world?
2. Why there were so many women in Khorinis (basically about the same as male population), but on the entire continent except Khorinis there is only a handful?
3. Considering the events are not far apart between G2 and G3, why are orks so much more developed and civilized than on the Khorinis? Are they the same race or different? Were Khorinis orks some uncivilized tribes (think of the Sentinel Island) whereas on the continent they are much better developed? I guess but just want to make sure.
4. How do orks procreate? Is there only one sex or is it more like D&D dwarfs (no visual obvious discrepancies between sexes)
5. How do humans procreate? In G and G2 it looked like real-life humans (there were no kids, but I guess we can blame it on political correctness?), but in G3 it seems it's more like... beehive? There are many male workers and only few females that reproduce all the time?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1. Why was Khorinis the only place with a port in the entire world?

It cannot be the only port in the world, where would ships be transporting ore and soldiers to and from?
Never heard of the comic and never checked out the Java game, but my question is raised because there is not a single port on the continent according to Gothic 3

Arbiter

Scholar
Never heard of the comic and never checked out the Java game, but my question is raised because there is not a single port on the continent according to Gothic 3

Another consistency error between first two games and the third one, like orcs being weak in combat in the latter. Either developers did not care about lore or they did not have time to add a port.

Konjad

Patron

Another consistency error between first two games and the third one, like orcs being weak in combat in the latter. Either developers did not care about lore or they did not have time to add a port.
That's why I mentioned them in my questions but also partly answered it myself: "Were Khorinis orks some uncivilized tribes (think of the Sentinel Island) whereas on the continent they are much better developed?"
Probably very distant cousins.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
When I briefly played G3 with all the community patches and cpu optimization fix and what not, I actually found it to be a surprisingly fun game, and thought the combat was unfairly maligned - but i dont know how much the mods and "alternative AI" changed it from the vanilla release.

What was a major decline was the loot system. Random loot in a PB game, not even based off levelled lists, but actually how many chests you have opened. That was monumentally stupid MMO tier design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom