Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 5 is coming?!

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
What do you mean how do I live with that? I've played all the best rpg's, Maybe gothic 1 and 2 are good but I guarantee they aren't better then fallout 1/2 or arcanum.

Maybe not better but just a different flavor of delicious pie, you shoud try.

Maybe one day if I get copies that work ;p

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
EqualWhichGermanwirehairedpointer-size_restricted.gif

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It's okay. Use the community patch. Primary issue is the repetition of it.
Someone linked this video on the PB section, worth a look.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic 3 is pretty good with mods but melee is forever broken and not enjoyable. I haven't been able to find a single mod that could fix that. So... play a mage or an archer.

Abhay

Augur
I havent played gothic 3. I dunno if I should
Oh yes, you should. Its a wonderful game with a very diverse map and great atmosphere. While the combat is passable at best, the whole journey including the freedom and the roleplaying, immersion makes the game so much interesting than other open world games out there.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I havent played gothic 3. I dunno if I should
Oh yes, you should. Its a wonderful game with a very diverse map and great atmosphere. While the combat is passable at best, the whole journey including the freedom and the roleplaying, immersion makes the game so much interesting than other open world games out there.
so yea the thing is everytime i hear someone praise gothic 3, i see other turn it down too for being repeptitive and bland quests towards the end especially.

The topic has nudged me over to "okay i will try it someday" but i wont say it id anything top priority.
So yeah, i will try if there is notjing going on

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Having played Gothic 1 and 2 at release, i have fond memories of both. In my personal opinion the original Gothic was the best, it is one of the very few games in 30 years that made me actually sad when i completed it because i wanted more. It rarely if ever happens with me... Gothic 2 was "improved" in a gamey sense, with moar space, moar stuff, improved graphics, but while it was still a good game it didn't charm me like the original did. I still remember the 3 prison factions of the original, the characters, the locations, the atmosphere, the overpowered orcs that finally i got super-stronk to kick their ass, etc. What a memorable game if you got it at release... Gothic II, i remember little. Was fun, i enjoyed it, but didn't leave the same impression on me. Anyway...

Those 2 while innovative for their time (true open world, day night cycle, etc) and with tons of soul, heart, and charm, were just flawed masterpieces. The controls sucked huge black dick and it was bugs gallore. The very definition of euro-jank.

The problem with Piranha Bytes is that they never evolved past the euro-jank stage. In the late 90s they produced some stellar if unpolished and unmarketed games like Incubation (still better than Firaxis XCOM) and one great game with attack helicopters i played on my Pentium 150mhz back in the day, don't remember the name. But after they got success and recognition, they still made the same euro-jank as before with little effort to evolve. Gothic 3 was ambitious, really it was, and in some ways was better than the garbage Oblivion (but this does not say much), but they failed to make it a good game and i am not talking just about the bugs...

Then Risen series came and they just wanted to remake Gothics with better textures and less charm. I enjoyed Risen 1 but then i lost interest because by the time Risen 2 appeared i was assured that PB had lost their touch. ELEX didn't convince me either.

It seems they cought lightning in the bottle the first time but they still don't understand what made people love the originals. And the gaming industry as a whole has moved on. A Gothic with better textures won't cut it in todays market, sorry. I don't believe in PB anymore and i don't think any Gothic 5 they ever make will be good.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The problem with Piranha Bytes is that they never evolved past the euro-jank stage. In the late 90s they produced some stellar if unpolished and unmarketed games like Incubation (still better than Firaxis XCOM) and one great game with attack helicopters i played on my Pentium 150mhz back in the day, don't remember the name. But after they got success and recognition, they still made the same euro-jank as before with little effort to evolve. Gothic 3 was ambitious, really it was, and in some ways was better than the garbage Oblivion (but this does not say much), but they failed to make it a good game and i am not talking just about the bugs...

Gothic 1 was their first game PB has never released anything besides Action RPGs.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

Gothic 1 was their first game PB has never released anything besides Action RPGs.

Yes i may have mistaken PB for Blue Byte. WTF with those Germans, they all use similar names?

Edija

Arcane
Patron
I'll never understand why people count Arcania as a Gothic game. That soulless cashgrab and abomination of the game deserves nothing short of damnatia memoriae.

curry

Arcane
I haven't played Risen or Elex, but if there is something iconic about Gothic 1/2 it is the fact that both are relatively compact, snugly games with - as kind of a compensation for the lack of a big map - highly detailed landscapes and gameplay.

Risen is like that. It takes place on a small island and has 3 towns, one for each of the three factions.

Edija

Arcane
Patron

It is not Gothic.

At a point the game becomes insufferable, beware

You didnt try cast Fire Rain?

Gothic 3 is pretty good with mods but melee is forever broken and not enjoyable. I haven't been able to find a single mod that could fix that. So... play a mage or an archer.

Silden, Irmak's halberd

Totally, just get the halberd and do that autistic swing animation killing and glitching the whole of Myrtana in one swoop. I never said melee isn't viable, you can literally stunlock thirty orcs with a sword but that is not amusing and the way its meant to be. I'm happy they figured out a system that works with Elex and that is basically an upgrade of the old G1 and G2 melee combat system.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I disagree with that. Risen 3 and its islands were actually pretty open ended, and you could move and navigate the map using the parrot flight scroll basically where your heart desired.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom