Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic I/II mods

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Parallel to HL2 the second game i am most interested in terms of user made content are Gothic games. There's the same problem. It has fuck tons of them and i would appreciate input from people, who have played any.
Tried that huge russian ''Returning'' mod, but it seems to be too difficult for me and i say that as a person, who didn't find the original NoTR hard. Now really, the first young wolf that you encounter after leaving Xardas kills you in two blows and you need to land at least 20 to off it. No, thanks. I'd like more content, but not much change in the general gameplay. Additional learning curve is okay, but no megaultrahardcore difficulty plz.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
The English speaking world is the UK according to Germans.

Anyway, Gothic has not aged well, and fiendish fanboys also helped deter interest, It'll be quite the effort to install it again and toy with modding it (somewhat fishing for a convincing).

Murk

Arcane
Huh the fuck; game runs fine. This "mods for G1/G2" threads are turning into one of those threads that seem to pop up every 3-5 months or so.

Mods are shit; play with patches. Only mod that didn't break the game for me was the texture swap that swapped g2 textures into g1 for some areas (nothing really worth caring about but eh).

Velaya mod is cool if you want to revisit old areas that are rather drastically changed -- ultimately if you like the gameplay it's fine. Voice acting is shit but subtitles (which are horribly transrated). Also, boobs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Up is up and down is down, muthafukka, what's wrong with you? To the topic: Velaya is the only finished and good mod for Gothic 2. There's basically no modes for G1 other than ones that add a handful more content.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I went through this whole process of looking for Gothic 1 and 2 mods a couple weeks ago. Looked at them all, tried out a bunch, they're all shit. All Gothic mods are crap, don't bother. If you want the game to look better, there are a couple texture packs, but I think it already looks pretty good.

Gothic 1 Texture Pack

There's a Polish full HD texture pack in the works that looks great, but it will probably be a while.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Ok, thanks for the input. From looking at some lists and descriptions few years back that was my guess as well (that they are shit). I would still play Returning though if not for the ridiculous difficulty, because it seems to have a lot of added content. Maybe time to play as weed smoker in GI as i never took that root.

Ptosio

Arcane
Doesn't the Returning have varipus difficulty settings? Anyway, I didn't finish this mod but I rather enjoyed it, the added content seems to fit quite adequatly into the game (except that everyone speaks Russian, but what can you expect from the silent assasins or the camp of fanatical drug addicts?:p). But apart from that, I wouldn't even know which content was original and which was added which probably speaks volumes about the quality of writing in GII, but let's not delve into that.

Overall, good job and big kudos&spasiba for the mod creators.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, aside from the texture pack for G1 I can't recall anything else. There is a rebalance patch for G2 but IIRC it has questionable changes.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
There's bunch of them, and all of them made in this part of Europe where mods make the game harder to the parody point ie. russians. They're like that.
Oh and only few are translated from orkish dialect.
Dark Mysteries for Gothic1 is good start with mods, different difficulty settings and you still become walking tank somewhere past lvl10.

:necro: fukin necrophhilis

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
This looks very promising:

So they added eye soaring bloom and thick vegetation that impairs visibility in combat. Hurrah..

Better git and translate that huge globarsomething mod that russians/pollacks made and is like another NoTR to already huge game.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There's bunch of them, and all of them made in this part of Europe where mods make the game harder to the parody point ie. russians. They're like that.
Yeah, i remember installing that ''returning'' something mod couple of years back, where i had to rage quit, because i couldn't kill the fucking ''young wolf'' on the way from Xardas tower to Cavalron. From my estimate, it had to be hit around 20-30 times to kill with the starting weapon and avoid every, but one blow from it, because the second kills you. It's like a mod for those maniacs, who go killing orc elites with first level wimp using wooden branch. Fuck that. I love challenge, but shit like that would basically force me to cheese all the way till i get decent level. Like taking Lares on the excursion around the world.:lol:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
And we're talking about fucking G2:notr here, a game that already has pretty challenging combat.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
And we're talking about fucking G2:notr here, a game that already has pretty challenging combat.

Yeah. :lol:
Although skill/stat learning curve really gets a tad redundant, when you play it for 4th or further time. I have learned so much cheese* for early XP that i should never get at that point, a mod that would cluster this a bit i deemed as interesting, but the i went WTF!

*like using fire rain scroll in that chapel near Onar's farm after gathering all the skellies around :D

aleph

Arcane
Yeah, i remember installing that ''returning'' something mod couple of years back, where i had to rage quit, because i couldn't kill the fucking ''young wolf'' on the way from Xardas tower to Cavalron. From my estimate, it had to be hit around 20-30 times to kill with the starting weapon and avoid every, but one blow from it, because the second kills you. It's like a mod for those maniacs, who go killing orc elites with first level wimp using wooden branch. Fuck that. I love challenge, but shit like that would basically force me to cheese all the way till i get decent level. Like taking Lares on the excursion around the world.:lol:

Stick with it, run to the city and do quests there to get xp. It gets easier after a few levels and the new content is actually rather enjoyable.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Ok, i will remember this and probably retry it somewhat later. It's just annoying that i must basically run for my life right to Khorinis, avoiding every living entity that may harm me right from the beginning.

Btw, i installed russian version of G2noTR and even in the very first dialogue with Xardas there was mostly silence. Did russians ever put their own voice over unto the game? Or maybe just the original G2 dialogues are voiced, while those that pertain to NoTR are not? Or it is most likely bug related to Returining mod?

aleph

Arcane
Ok, i will remember this and probably retry it somewhat later. It's just annoying that i must basically run for my life right to Khorinis, avoiding every living entity that may harm me right from the beginning.

Btw, i installed russian version of G2noTR and even in the very first dialogue with Xardas there was mostly silence. Did russians ever put their own voice over unto the game? Or maybe just the original G2 dialogues are voiced, while those that pertain to NoTR are not? Or it is most likely bug related to Returining mod?

No idea about the Russian NoTR, but in the German version everything is voiced. Only the dialog added by the Returning is silent.

agris

Arcane
Patron
If anyone knows how to get G2 + NotR to use German in the VO, but english subs, please tell me! I configured it back in the day, and can't for the life of me find the reference on how to do it now.

This looks very promising:

I was trying it yesterday and it looks amazing (considering G2's age), but there's a ton of gameplay changes with it that follow the modder's motto "if it's not broken, then break it". Two hit killed by the tutorial wolves. Healing plants can't be eaten to heal. Animals no longer provide meat. Can't rest in owned beds (i.e. almost all beds). Arrows cost 10 gold each (for fuck sake! 1000 gold for 100 arrows), etc.

A real shame, because it looks great.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Those changes can't be seperated from the graphical enhancements?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom