Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic - I'm having flashbacks to Ultima 9

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Gothic 1 is one of those games I'm happy I played once, but never, ever, want to replay again. I mean, I understand its importance and agree it's a classic, but unlike Gothic 2 (which I think is pretty much perfect all the way through) I think there are portions of Gothic 1 that haven't aged well at all. The first few chapters are fun, but the game gets really tedious as it progresses and becomes nothing but combat. I just can't bring myself to replay the Orc temple portions of that game, they are such a boring grind. And the control scheme sucks.

Also, people grossly exaggerate Gothic 2's difficulty. Or, rather, I think people who min/max Gothic 2 make the game WAY harder for themselves than it need be as its a game whose difficulty is entirely frontloaded so min/maxing makes no sense. There is absolutely no point in that game to save up all of the str/dex raising items until the end as all the end game monsters are fairly easy to beat with a moderate amount of each of those stats (especially if you have NOTR and get Beliar's Claw, which is pretty overpowered from the moment you get it and makes the rest of the game a cake walk). The only time you really need Str/Dex is at the beginning, so I say ignore what every FAQ/Walkthrough will tell you and instead use Str/Dex raising items as you find them. It will make the beginning portions of the game much easier. Same thing with clearing out the maps before the end of each chapter, unless you are OCD there's no need to do this as it just makes things harder on you earlier going. If you want a relatively painless playthrough, I'd suggest rushing through the first chapter as quickly as possible just to get to the expansion stuff---which is where all the best items are that will make the game significantly easier once you get them.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can use the G2 controls you know. There was even a 'unsupported' option for first person view IIRC.

Of course it was broken in some manner i forget.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gothic does not scale to your level, OP. You're better off playing something more hand-holding and banal like Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom