Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Sequel, cancelled Gothic 1 expansion

Demondays

Literate
First of all: automatic translation is already available on that video so I recommend watching it again with it.

A couple things I want to add to description above:

It seems that parts of the intro to gothic 2 was taken from this addon. Look at hero's clothes when he is summoned, and lightning that strikes the tower of the old camp. The damage of the strike is visible in the addon but not in the Gothic 2.

The addon would treat visit of hero in the oldcamp in 5 chapter of G1 as canonical. That means most of the people from the castle are dead, not like in G2Notr where Bloodwyn, Raven, Thorus and other characters reappears alive.

When barrier collapsed, it destroyed all magicial artefacts - also magic runes. Thats why there is a new ability for creating runes. The whole process was discovered by Lester when he was studying ancient books in the mountain fortress in G1. He rebuilded from old instructions device - runic table. Its interesting we already know it from Gothic 2, but there PB didnt really care to explain why we could just buy magic runes in G1 and in G2 we have to create them ourselves.

Last edited:

Demondays

Literate
Some of the assets from the addon were still present in the Gothic 2 release. For example this texture of a possesed human:

GJkk6MG.jpg

sw7NGtf.jpg

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Some of the assets from the addon were still present in the Gothic 2 release. For example this texture of a possesed human:

Interesting. Smart practice to never discard anything.

I wonder how long it'll be before the whole thing actually leaks, it's bound to happen at some point.

A lot of the textures could be modded into Gothic 1 to add a bit of variety.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I believe those textures were used for zombies and shit.
There were plenty of things you'd never see, like the tattoos on all the pirates in NoTR and all...
Also the texturing on the Orc Weapons were fucking awesome.

Demondays

Literate
Interesting. Smart practice to never discard anything.
Yes, there is a couple more things like this in the data of G2 (texture of ill/possessed version of molerat and biter). Unfortunately not as much as I would want.

I believe those textures were used for zombies and shit.
Nah, zombies in G2 have different textures (actually same as in G1). The one I have posted appears to be unused in game. And its even named: HUM_BODY_POSSESSED_V0_C0.TGA
But in general yes, some of the things from Gothic Sequel were later reintroduced in G2 or NotR. Demon Troll became Black Troll, Demon snapper became dragon snapper and so on...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It is confirmed that ARHN (who made videos above) and MaGoth (admin of biggest Gothic site in vodkanistan) and deep throat who helped first one have that unfinished build, only two of them have it with PB permission though.
Now there is sort of defcon thing where people are waiting to nukes leak but it will happen? It's not like Stalker ShoC thing where all assets and work was leaked and was used for years in mods to this day...

For me - if somehow this thing get leaked it will either (1) be emerged with Returning 2.0 aka best add-on for G2 (that's how ruskies Gothic fans claims) or (2) scrapped and disassembled and all assets used in other mods, which can be done by making it from the scratch but that require time and a lot of work.

btw. Returning 2.0 is already avaliable in English and can be completed in 95%, you need 150h+ to do that or 300h+ for completionist run on highest difficulty (mind you it's rusian mod so it's hard on Normal already).

Demondays

Literate
Yeah, I know at least 4 people that are in possession of this sequel (MotherMachinae mentioned 2 of them), but they all refuse to publicate it. I wouldnt either expect it coming from PB since Michael Ruve (PB managing director) said recently on german forum that they dont even have the sequel nor rights to it since the people who were working on it wasnt paid when it was canceled.

Btw. ARHN already announced they are gonna make live stream from the sequel in february.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Returning 2.0 is already avaliable in English and can be completed in 95%, you need 150h+ to do that or 300h+ for completionist run on highest difficulty (mind you it's rusian mod so it's hard on Normal already).

I've heard of Returning 2.0 - how does it compare to L'Hiver?

I was going to give L'Hiver a shot on my next play-through, but it seems like a head-fuck to install - as the mod team is pretty stop/start and just generally fractured.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Returning 2.0 is already avaliable in English and can be completed in 95%, you need 150h+ to do that or 300h+ for completionist run on highest difficulty (mind you it's rusian mod so it's hard on Normal already).

I've heard of Returning 2.0 - how does it compare to L'Hiver?

I was going to give L'Hiver a shot on my next play-through, but it seems like a head-fuck to install - as the mod team is pretty stop/start and just generally fractured.

L'hiver is used as a base for other modifications, something like Stalker: Call of Chernobyl. For now there is at least 3-4 mods that use it, most notable the one that merge L'Hiver and DirectX 11 and by the Beliar it looks phenomenal. If you want to play it - play it. No sign of further developemend but that does not mean it can't be finished and it's not bugridden despite version number below 1.0.0.0....

Returning 2.0 is different beast, in the vatnikstan it count as add-on like NotR, even some original voice actors were included in developement. Biggest mod for any Gothic game ever, bigger than NotR itself.

What it brings? Beside fuckton of new weapons, armors and items? New locations (separated by loadings), I know 3 of them like Adanos Desert (like in Gothic3 you need skill to survive heat or your stamina stay at 0 forever), Fog Island and Valley of Ancestors.
And vanilia locations are reworked vastly.
You get new teleport system (one rune instead of dozens), new (idle) animations that make characters alive, 200 new quests.
Despite being rusian mod it easy on lower difficulties so you don't have shithappen thing like Dark Saga or other mods where you die from 1hit and can't kill anything bigger than cockroach.
They added 7th chapter after Idorath where orcs invade Khorinis. They make you return to the Sleeper Temple and face your old enemy again.
And biggest twist at last - dragons are not the most powerful enemies in the game. Some enemies will be unbeatable because some things must be done earlier but that's something known from original Gothic1/2....

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
most notable the one that merge L'Hiver and DirectX 11 and by the Beliar it looks phenomenal.
Which one is that? (Sorry)

even some original voice actors were included in developement.
Original German or Russian? I've always played in German myself, the English subs, especially in Gothic 2, were very inconsistent quality wise. Diego in G2 speaks like Butters from South Park lol.

The mod sounds appealing anyway. Do you have a link?

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
most notable the one that merge L'Hiver and DirectX 11 and by the Beliar it looks phenomenal.
Which one is that? (Sorry)

here you got L'Hiver Unbalanced

ignore commenting youtuber, he's far from developed state
https://imageshack.us/a/VDHz/1

even some original voice actors were included in developement.
Original German or Russian? I've always played in German myself, the English subs, especially in Gothic 2, were very inconsistent quality wise. Diego in G2 speaks like Butters from South Park lol.
The mod sounds appealing anyway. Do you have a link?

Original rusian of course since it's vatnik mod
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1470404-RETURNING-v2-0-Stand-Fragen-Antworten-2/page29
first post here - the actual mod
scroll down to post #571 where you get hotfix, translated script into both english and german

as for installation - install G2+NotR, mount mod iso, switch to other language in the lower part of the menu, go into Additional Software or whatever it's called, install both PlayerKit and fix on the righ (2.6 something).
Now install mod itself, one thing important - install russian files when you can.
Now get AST file and drop it in System.
Then go to Gothic2NotR/Data, remove RET2_Scripts.vdf then unpack script from that forum and rename RET2_Scripts_en.vdf ===> RET2_Scripts.vdf

Last edited:

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1470404-RETURNING-v2-0-Stand-Fragen-Antworten-2/page29
scroll down to post #571 where you get hotfix, translated script into both english and german

Hmmm...ok - is this worth installing as well? http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1483860-RELEASE-Gothic-2-Die-Rückkehr-1-12-9-Rebalance-9

This is one thing that bugs me about these overhauls, the obsession with more trees. I don't get it. It hides a lot of the well-designed landscape.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Hmmm...ok - is this worth installing as well? http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1483860-RELEASE-Gothic-2-Die-Rückkehr-1-12-9-Rebalance-9

This is one thing that bugs in these overhauls, the obsession with more trees. I don't get it. It hides a lot of the well-designed landscape.

Rebalance? I know there is one for Returning 1 and I don't any for Ret2....
so answers is - no
about that screenshot - that's nothing, I saw even thicker flora (trees, grass) that make you stumble upon enemies that you can't see unless you pull out bow and detect them with autoaim.
And it feel different from empty flora of original Gothic 2 so whatever tickles you.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
That L'hiver mod was hard as fuck. I had to grind housewives in Khorinis to level up a couple of times. Crazy russians have to make everything as hard as possible.

Demondays

Literate
That L'hiver mod was hard as fuck. I had to grind housewives in Khorinis to level up a couple of times. Crazy russians have to make everything as hard as possible.
The old english version is peace of cake compared to latest russian releases... They added hunger and weight system and limited sleeping...

And regarding comments above. I recommned watching best review of Gothic (warning: its full of spoilers):

Master

Arbiter
Holy shit...

edit

i remember that video. 16:00 mark - leveling up:lol:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Original rusian version is surely hard as nail and you save scum a lot and try to block enemies on the object. But on the other hand re-releases made by westerners (including potatoes) make it p.cool thing, especiallly combined with Dx11...

Hardest mods so far
-L'Hiver
-Returning 1.3.2 (surprise - it's bastardized version made by potatoes, even harder than rusian original believe or not)
-Dark Saga (all fun and game until they lock you in the cage with arena champion, if you tried other build than two hader STR focused you're fucked).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom