Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I wouldn't. I'm not a cretin to buy game I already played.

Mozg

Arcane
I'd rather have a "spiritual successor" remake like Risen, although I think the Gothic 1 new-guy-in-a-self-ruled-prison-colony setup is worth stealing (minus the high fantasy save the world parts).

T. Reich

Arcane
If gothic 1 - 3 were remade today with modern graphics but similar art style and far better controls, combat and technical fixes, would the codex buy such a game?

I know that gothic 3 was severely flawed but I think the liberation mechanic had something good going on for it.

No. They would also be remade with all the added modern bullshit and updated with modern "values", and with a number of new dumb bugs and technical limitations absent in the original.
And that's even besides the fact that what made G1+2 so good is not just the sum of the parts that made up the games, it's them being available at that particular time, with then-us being different people than now.
You can't enter the same river twice.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If gothic 1 - 3 were remade today with modern graphics but similar art style and far better controls, combat and technical fixes, would the codex buy such a game?

I know that gothic 3 was severely flawed but I think the liberation mechanic had something good going on for it.

Yes. What people seem to forget when answering this questions is that what you explain is what we would get.

Now, what people who ask these questions seem to forget is that we will never get a game like that. Even Skywind, made by the fans... will be using Skyrim's shitty combat mechanics.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
What the fuck is wrong with people who want remakes of games that work well and don't need one, encouraging such shit is retarded.
Ikr, no mouse support and "tedious" clicking of two buttons is good enough reason.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I agree, but its not like Gothic3 is a game that works well.

They should make a new Gothic 3, but not as a remake, more like in the sense of a reboot.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Isn't there community patch that fixes most of the game issues? Never tried it so i dunno for sure.

Btw i don't think they would make anything more then changing fonts in menus and adding hd mod or whatever.
I don't think iv'e ever played a good remake of an old game that was in any way superior to it's predecessor.
Whole point of necoring old classic is shameless moneygrab and we should stop creating market for it.

Everyone should know that already though.

Starwars

Arcane
To my great shame, I've actually never played any of these games (that I can remember anyways). Closest I got was Risen which I enjoyed quite a bit.

If I'm gonna play them, should I just start with the first game?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Yeah, pretty much.

Also, I've started NotR once again, this is my third try and this time I intend to finish it (previous times I was stopped by the game glitching out early on, but base G2 I've finished at least thrice). Especially since this time I'm also playing it FULL TEUTON
USJjtK.png

Hot damn, each time I get to fucking Khorinis, it really takes me back. To a better time when worldbuilding and coherence actually mattered, when a big city wasn't made of 10 houses at best, and when geldbeutels were stashed on top of every roof.

Doktor Best

Arcane
To my great shame, I've actually never played any of these games (that I can remember anyways). Closest I got was Risen which I enjoyed quite a bit.

Yes. Install System Pack and roll.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hot damn, each time I get to fucking Khorinis, it really takes me back. To a better time when worldbuilding and coherence actually mattered, when a big city wasn't made of 10 houses at best, and when geldbeutels were stashed on top of every roof.
That Khorinis theme is something else, man.

sullynathan

Arcane
What the fuck is wrong with people who want remakes of games that work well and don't need one, encouraging such shit is retarded.
Ikr, no mouse support and "tedious" clicking of two buttons is good enough reason.
They don't work all that well. The controls of the series aren't all that good except for gothic 3 and none of the games have satisfying combat

Murk

Arcane
Shut the fuck up kid.

G 1 and 2 have plenty satisfying combat, and the controls work just fine.

Mozg

Arcane
Let's not go crazy. Gothic combat isn't particularly interesting. It's basically a simple action minigame you learn for each enemy and a functional test of how much armor and damage you've RPG'd up. Risen is a little more robust and there's plenty of headroom above that.

Murk

Arcane
There's always room for improvement, that doesn't mean g1 and g2 had bad combat.

Old One

Arcane
Being a member of the Thieves Guild and the Ring of Water at the same time after you join the Monastery of Innos is pretty funny. You're double-crossing everyone except Xardas - and maybe him too.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
They don't work all that well. The controls of the series aren't all that good except for gothic 3 and none of the games have satisfying combat

Combat is good because it rewards players who are actullay good at the game and pure stats never ever going to win you a fight, that's the right way to go about combat-system in action RPG.

Murk

Arcane
Pure stats can win you fights, but only against weak enemies. With enough armor, you can avoid being damaged altogether. Leave a scavenger or wolf pup alive and face tank them with medium or better armor (heavy militia/merc works).

But, that's only if you fight disproportionately weaker enemies. If you follow the normal course of the game, enemies will always be a threat -- especially orcs, dragon snappers, and lizardmen.

sullynathan

Arcane

Combat is good because it rewards players who are actullay good at the game and pure stats never ever going to win you a fight, that's the right way to go about combat-system in action RPG.
The combat is poor in every gothic game. This is coming from someone who plays twitch games, you can't compare gothic's combat to any other action rpg with good combat.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik

The combat is poor in every gothic game. This is coming from someone who plays twitch games, you can't compare gothic's combat to any other action rpg with good combat.

Maybe now it looks not that appelling but for 2001 standards it was really innovative and still better then most of new shit. Which action rpgs you have on mind that are better though?

sullynathan

Arcane

Maybe now it looks not that appelling but for 2001 standards it was really innovative and still better then most of new shit. Which action rpgs you have on mind that are better though?
All the souls games + bloodborne, dragon's Dogma and even from the 10 minutes I played, severence played better

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Combat is a lot easier if you stick to gothic 1 controls. You can swing the weapon from side to side (holding mouse button and hitting a and d) much quicker than gothic 2 controls.

Yea it feels more clunky than gothic 2 but overall its the superior control scheme, it just takes time to get used to it.

Out of the hundreds of RPG's iv'e played over the years Gothic 2 is without question one of my favourite, its not perfect but no other RPG imo comes close to the satisfaction of the level progression that Gothic 2:NOTOR provides.

Game developers can learn a lot from the gothic series, except gothic 3 which is a steaming pile of mud dump.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik

All the souls games + bloodborne, dragon's Dogma and even from the 10 minutes I played, severence played better
Gibe me some older games, not 10 years older titles, come on man that's not fair comparison.

sullynathan

Arcane

Gibe me some older games, not 10 years older titles, come on man that's not fair comparison.
Severance is older than gothic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom