Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is the archive/manual version of the community patch still available somewhere?

sullynathan

Arcane
tldr. Gothic 2 is a great game hampered by poor combat, Gothic one is good hampered by poor combat and controls. Gothic 3 is average but with good controls, UI & decent combat.

Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
HAPPY FUKIN BIRTHDAY GOTHIC !!!!!
Milos_Sholim_Rajkovic_08.gif

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
tldr. Gothic 2 is a great game hampered by poor combat, Gothic one is good hampered by poor combat and controls. Gothic 3 is average but with good controls, UI & decent combat.

:what:

Both the gothic's have great combat and great controls it just takes some getting use to. Gothic 3 is the most disappointing biggest pile of shit i ever played and that's with the community patch.

Gothic 3 has the worst engine second only to the never winter nights 2 engine. I don't know how people can play gothic 3 its fucking awful on every level.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

i will find you

and i will murder you in your sleep

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
"If you love Gothic 3 that's great...but then there are also some people who love shoving anal beads up there asses, so who am I to judge?" - Durmin Paradox

Old One

Arcane
If Gothic 3 was not supposed to be a Gothic sequel, I probably never would have played it. If Gothic 3 was not supposed to be a Gothic sequel and I did happen to play it, I would have finished it once and never thought about again ever after. In contrast to Gothic 1 and 2, the aRPG world does not need more titles like Gothic 3.

I'm currently enjoying the good controls and combat in my current NotR playthrough. I can understand why some would say NotR disrupts the flow of Gothic 2, but it adds so much good content I don't think I would want to play without it. Besides, the disruption is mostly voluntary.

One of the nice things about Gothic 2 is the way it is so fully integrated with the setting and story of the original. In this respect it's about as good as a sequel can be. The PC was knocked out for two or three weeks at the end of the first game, and when he gets back into action and returns to the Valley, everything is the same, but changed by the upheaval of his actions. It's a cool sensation.

The introduction of the Seekers is also very nice and reinvigorates the setting of the first chapter.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
On the topic of Gothic 2 and NotR, let me ask this:

Back then, there was a seriously bad oversight/bug in a quest that caused me to ragequit. Specifically, if you joined the Thieves' Guild, one quest you got was to acquire the Blood Chalices, located in various home in the city, and bring them back to the guild. Now, the bug was that at no point before or during the quest did any NPC ever tell you that this quest had a time limit, let alone what that time limit was; and that if you blew that, the Guild leader would attack you the next time you tried to speak with her.

So my question is, was this ever fixed (preferably by simply removing the stupid time limit) in maybe the GOG version or some fan patch?

sullynathan

Arcane
it was never fixed. The time limit isn't really a bug but there are other broken quests in the game that was never fixed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is it a real time limit or is it you leaving for chapter 3 (or whatever) what you should have done in chapter 2?

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jolly, happy birthday to one of the best crafted open worlds a player could ever enjoy. I remember very well the first hours invested in Gothic, getting accustomed to monster hit boxes and always walking with the utmost care, with fear of attracting more than one scavenger at a time. Also thought bloodflies were insanely difficult to kill. But 5 or 10 level afterwards, a set of armor a decent sword skills. I thought I was ready to kick asses and conquer the mining colony wildlife. Didn't take too long to realize how wrong I was after getting my ass handed by orcs, snappers and shadowbeasts. Also I recall in aggroing orcs outside the valley towards old camp in order to kill a few guards and loot their equipment :). It is very satisfactory to develop nameless character and earn the respect among the factions. As well as bully your old bullies, to teach them a lesson and earn valuable exp points. Dat combat mechanics, yet so simple
but effective, so good, always looking forward for a fight.

I can't also forget the "bro team": Lares, diego, gorn, Milten, Lee and Lester.

I playerd Gothic 2 NoTR right away. Was significantly harder and very unforgiving in learning points investment, It took me +70 hours and hundreds of save scumming to complete. I barely had points to invest in crossbows to complement my dragon hunter two handed build. The strenght requirements of the most powerful two handed weapons are way too high. Fortunately, the claw of beliar is an excelent asset to keep until one have enough str for the most powerful stuff.

Kahr

Never experienced such a time limit in my 5 playthroughs. Never heard of anyone having a problem with it.
That said, i haven't played on Steam or GOG yet. No serious bugs for me with the CD version.

Abhay

Augur
This bug ?!?

According to the poster, cassia would attack in the blood chalice quest if the player didn't complete the quest within the deadline.
Now, I'm surprised to know that there was a deadline in this quest with some time limit to complete it. Never knew nor had any problems with this quest in the past ( played GOG ). Though I never took so much time to finish the quest either, so can't say for sure. A member claims finishing the quest even after many days had passed, so its unclear what exactly triggers the deadline or time limit.
It could be just an unfortunate glitch otherwise something that we don't know and players haven't figured it out what turns the quest into a timed one, because I don't think the quest itself has any time limit but some action on players part makes Cassia angry, the question is what exactly??
Only modders with the knowledge about game scripting can find the cause behind it. If it was a bug then people would have come across as well but I've never seen any complaints regarding this quest until now.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Is it a real time limit or is it you leaving for chapter 3 (or whatever) what you should have done in chapter 2?

I have never even heard of that quest having a time limit.
Perhaps there is really just a chapter limit?

Nope, it's not chapter-specific, but rather, depends on the in-game passage of time - IIRC, you have two in-game days to finish it.

And as I recall (though it was a while ago), it's very easy to miss that deadline if you don't already know exactly what to do in advance. First you need to find the chalices, and not all of them are conveniently and obviously displayed; then you need to actually get them, and that sometimes includes sneaking it at specific time of day (i.e. night) to avoid guards or residents - and you only get two days and two nights to figure that out AND to execute it.

Plus, like I mentioned earlier, at no point does the game tell you about the time limit.

T. Reich

Arcane
Ok, so I decided to give Gothic a spin again, been a few years since my last one.

It's either the muscle memory or the fact that a lot of people who shit on G1's controls are retards (probably the latter), but I've had zero problems using the default keyboard-only control scheme, got into it right away.
The combat vs the starter mobs is also quite easy, easier than in Risen perhaps.

Anyways, I've pimped the game out with the following:
*Player Kit + SystemPack
*D3D11 renderer (installed the recommended version 14 because it's apparently less buggy for G1)
*Freddy's Textures Patch
*ThielHater's Texture Patch
*framerate unlocker

Did I miss anything important here?

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Anyways, I've pimped the game out with the following:
*Player Kit + SystemPack
*D3D11 renderer (installed the recommended version 14 because it's apparently less buggy for G1)
*Freddy's Textures Patch
*ThielHater's Texture Patch
*framerate unlocker

The fuck is all this shit? All you need is a widescreen patch for christ sake.

Stop dicking around with all that fan patch garbage and play the damn game.

:mrfussy:

Old One

Arcane
Two day time limit for the Blood Chalices? Not in the game I'm currently playing. I don't know how long I took to complete it, but I started it in Chapter 1 and didn't get the final chalice until after I was in Chapter 2, so it was more that two days. I'd guess four days at minimum because I've been sleeping liberally when night rolls around. I had no problems with Cassia.

I don't think you need the framerate unlocker after the playerkit and systempack. I didn't, at least. I also wouldn't recommend the DX11 renderer for Gothic 1. I don't think it's ready to go at this point. If you use it you won't see the sky effects from the Barrier, among other things.

I don't think you need anything more than this:
Playerkit
Systempack
texture mods if you like (I just used Freddy's, and I thought it looked very nice).

Don't forget to check the settings in the config file for the systempack.

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
I've never encountered the time limit/her attacking me in the gold version. This may be an old bug, perhaps? I know others have reported it that she tells you "2 days have passed."

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
All you need is a widescreen patch for christ sake.
Remember using a widescreen patch but that used to fuck up the character screen. Still so?

Nope, at least not for me, using 24 inch widescreen 16:9 1920x1080 and had no problems.

The widescreen patch i used works only with NOTR installed, coded by this Jackseller dude if that helps at all.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I've never encountered the time limit/her attacking me in the gold version. This may be an old bug, perhaps? I know others have reported it that she tells you "2 days have passed."

Yea that is def. a non gold bug cause i can remember i picked that quest up in chapter 1 or 2 but i never even bothered to finish it, and went back plenty of times to cassia right to the end of the game. The chalice quest is a pain in the ass anyway, don't think its worth doing.

Gotta watch out for that Lares bug though, if you ask him to bring you to the merc farm first before the other 2 options he will freeze in place and wont give you the ring to continue the main story line. He will still talk with you but there is no option to ask him to give you the ring back so you have to use the console to spawn it in your inventory, but it's not really a big deal, it's just a short simple command.

Ran into that bug in my first play through and almost lost my shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom