Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And so, the Codexia set another popamole cretin on the right path. :salute:
(Looking forward to proper exorcism with Wizardry IV, Carmine and Britra, kek)

Also, major
You're going to fight the Sleeper in the very end of the game.
Enjoy the game.

Technically you dance around him while fighting 4 purple legless demons
Technically you're pressing 5 levers while dancing around demons while dancing around the Sleeper while dancing around his stupid fireballs.
Does the Sleeper actually fight, when I played Gothic the bugger just stood there.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Also, major
Enjoy the game.

Technically you're pressing 5 levers while dancing around demons while dancing around the Sleeper while dancing around his stupid fireballs.
Does the Sleeper actually fight, when I played Gothic the bugger just stood there.
OPEN ANOTHER THREAD TO DISCUSS WHETHER ITS POSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID GETTING TOUCHED BY THE SLEEPER
NOW

And don't forget to ask Lucas9 about that once he beats the game.
"Did you see any fireballs in that end battle with the Sleeper, my dear?"

T. Reich

Arcane

Also, major
Enjoy the game.

He's just lobbing homing fireballs at you every few seconds. Which is super-annoying because they do a great job at breaking your stick-sword-in-the-heart animations.
Also, if you try to attack him directly, he will cast sleep on you, with predictable end result.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Joined a camp yet?

I'm doing quests for the Old Camp at the moment. So far got training from Fingers, the guy who trains fighters, Diego (for STR mostly), found the corpse of a guy wearing a necklace, and I was told to go find some cultists and retrieve a potion from them. It's fun so far.

On an unrelated note, I installed Gothic 3 and I'm surprised at how unpolished it looks, even from just the main menu.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Tip to Lucas9: if you're trading "normally", by moving items between your and the seller's inventory, it's preferable to barter - i.e. pay with junk you've collected (inferior weapons, etc.) - than to give ore. As I recall, there are several things in the game you can only buy through dialogue options, and then you'll HAVE to pay in ore, so you might want to save it up for those occasions.

Of course, once you get far enough into the game, it shouldn't be such a huge deal, as you'll have enough ore. At least IIRC.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Tip to Lucas9: if you're trading "normally", by moving items between your and the seller's inventory, it's preferable to barter - i.e. pay with junk you've collected (inferior weapons, etc.) - than to give ore. As I recall, there are several things in the game you can only buy through dialogue options, and then you'll HAVE to pay in ore, so you might want to save it up for those occasions.

Of course, once you get far enough into the game, it shouldn't be such a huge deal, as you'll have enough ore. At least IIRC.

Yep, it kind of reminds me of caps in Fallout 1, since they are basically the most valuable item to barter. I learned this right away after I asked this dude to sell me armor and he would only accept ore. Thankfully I stole a lot of ore from chests and sold a bunch of cooked meat to another in exchange for ore.

By the way, do vendors' inventories respawn?

T. Reich

Arcane
Most vendors' inventories restock and improve when a new chapter begins.
If you play half-decently, you will have more than enough wealth by chapter 3.

Doktor Best

Arcane
did you install the system pack? you only mentioned some system kit and i dont know if you mean the same thing.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
did you install the system pack? you only mentioned some system kit and i dont know if you mean the same thing.

Player kit and system kit. But I'm having awful graphical glitches. I can't really explain what they are with words, but imagine if things were suddenly flashing by a split second on the screen. It's very annoying and happens mostly in dialogue.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
Gothic 1 was awesome, even if the controls sometimes were a bit clunky (especially the climbing, sometimes you had to really line yourself up exactly right and in a tight spot this could get you killed). Still haven't even played Gothic 2 - although it is rather high on the long list of "must plays" waiting on the HD.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
What the fuck are you waiting for? Gothic 2 is basically "Gothic 1 - bugs + awesomeness^3".
I'm doing a completionist playthrough of BG2 EE with a custom party. After that, maybe it's finally time for G2. There is also Underrail and Serpent in the Staglands I'd like to check out. A lot of work to get done as well so not much time for games.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
I'm doing a completionist playthrough of BG2 EE with a custom party. After that, maybe it's finally time for G2.

Or you could do the smart thing and put everything on hold in your life (family,job,eating) and play Gothic 2 right now. Trust me it's worth it.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Player kit and system kit. But I'm having awful graphical glitches. I can't really explain what they are with words, but imagine if things were suddenly flashing by a split second on the screen. It's very annoying and happens mostly in dialogue.

I also had that problem and I've had to uninstall the game and remove the game folder (while keeping the saved games). The DX11 mod was causing all kind of graphical glitches like chests and ladders disappearing when I was near them. Another weird bug was that saves would get corrupt and couldn't be loaded. After that I used this guide and it works great (even the corrupted saves load).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=181055826
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283612335

T. Reich

Arcane
As the one who has recently played G1 with the "recommended" (by GOG + Steam users) mod pack (both kits + both texture packs + DX11 renderer) I can not recommend the renderer.
Depending on your system, it may or may not cause a numver of annoying graphical glitches that will ultimately detract from your experience with the game.
For me, it fucked up the indoor lightning and indoor draw distance (the "invisible walls" glitch), which made all the indoor areas a very psychedelich experience, and not in a good way.
It does make the game much prettier though (the water!), but it's not properly tested for G1.

Doktor Best

Arcane
System pack is not really a mod, only a fix for several problems and restriction they had to implent due to to hardware limitation back then. There is no fucking reason to play this game capped at 20 fps, it absolutely fucks up the responsivity.

Other than that i agree with Darth Roxor, Gothic doesnt need mods.

throwaway

Cipher
Why did the developer of the DX11 renderer stop? He started at full steam for a good while and then something happened and its been on hiatus for ages.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I uninstalled the DX11 renderer shortly after installing it. Maybe it leaves traces in the game anyhow? I'll try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it with just the System and Player kits, see what happens, because it's a shame that the game looks so unpolished because of those fucking bugs.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I uninstalled the DX11 renderer shortly after installing it. Maybe it leaves traces in the game anyhow? I'll try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it with just the System and Player kits, see what happens, because it's a shame that the game looks so unpolished because of those fucking bugs.

I tried this and the glitches persist. I'll just have to live with it.

I still can't seem to get used to to the battle controls. And my CTRL key refuses to work properly, sometimes the bastard gets stuck and when I try to walk backwards my character defends himself. :x Is strafing actually necessary, or just an extra tool to have?
Oh and I installed the texture patches because why not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom