Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I uninstalled the DX11 renderer shortly after installing it. Maybe it leaves traces in the game anyhow? I'll try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it with just the System and Player kits, see what happens, because it's a shame that the game looks so unpolished because of those fucking bugs.

I tried this and the glitches persist. I'll just have to live with it.

I still can't seem to get used to to the battle controls. And my CTRL key refuses to work properly, sometimes the bastard gets stuck and when I try to walk backwards my character defends himself. :x Is strafing actually necessary, or just an extra tool to have?
Oh and I installed the texture patches because why not.
Dude if there's a modstarter you're using, there should be an option there to parse scripts. Enable that and see what happened. I had weird framerates in G2 and this fixed it for me, could be the same thing.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Dude if there's a modstarter you're using, there should be an option there to parse scripts. Enable that and see what happened. I had weird framerates in G2 and this fixed it for me, could be the same thing.

That's another thing: which one of all these should I launch the game with?

Gothic.exe
GothicMod.exe
GothicStarter.exe
GothicStarter_mod.exe

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So it turns out I've been playing the game wrong for over 5 hours. I literally found out just now that human enemies (or at least the ones I encountered so far) don't murder you, but just really hurt you. Meaning all the times I've died I should have really let the game run on instead of reloading. It's a neat feature since it gives the non-reloading player the possibility to get harsher consequences for his actions or lack of forethought.

I swarmed the castle inside the Old Camp and stole so many goodies (including an amulet of +15 Armor and +15 Against arrows) that I can't sell because few people have ore and I have no lockpicks either anymore. The life of the rogue.

k0syak

Cipher
So it turns out I've been playing the game wrong for over 5 hours. I literally found out just now that human enemies (or at least the ones I encountered so far) don't murder you, but just really hurt you. Meaning all the times I've died I should have really let the game run on instead of reloading. It's a neat feature since it gives the non-reloading player the possibility to get harsher consequences for his actions or lack of forethought.

I swarmed the castle inside the Old Camp and stole so many goodies (including an amulet of +15 Armor and +15 Against arrows) that I can't sell because few people have ore and I have no lockpicks either anymore. The life of the rogue.

When someone knocks you out they also take your $$$

T. Reich

Arcane
Once you looted the Old Camp's castle chests, you will NOT be able to sell it all for ore until like chapter 5.
It's something that breaks G1 really bad becuase now you will never run out of money to buy new things with.
Unless you decide to buy potions by the hundreds for some reason.

Dux

Arcane
It's still only a few months ago I completed Gothic II NotR for the first time. Playing as a pure mage, no less. Even though the clunky game mechanics almost drove me completely insane by the end, I enjoyed the journey quite a lot. Finishing it was satisfying as hell and even though the game is far from perfect, it's still one of the shining examples of good world building. I especially liked how the game rewarded me for exploring every nook and cranny of Khorinis, with hidden stashes of useful potions, scrolls and stuff. There was a lot of character to it all.

When I finished with Gothic II I naturally went straight into Gothic 3 1.75, continuing as a pure mage. It took me approximately 48 hours of gameplay before I truly realised what I had gotten myself into. I was probably only 10 hours away from the end too, but I just couldn't take it anymore. There just wasn't any point. No more flinging fireballs at millions of orcs or being chronically harassed by wolves that just won't shut the hell up, or seeing characters from the previous game being reduced to cardboard cutouts. I never feel good about giving up on a game like this but you couldn't pay me to clear out another goddamn town or running around doing fetch quests for no apparent reason whatsoever. On top of that you have the targeting system from the deepest pit of Hell. Take Gothic II's borderline crippled targeting and then amplify it a hundred times = Gothic 3. Whatever, I'm done with it now and I'll never go back. Probably. That said, the music was quite good. That's something, I guess.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Once you looted the Old Camp's castle chests, you will NOT be able to sell it all for ore until like chapter 5.
It's something that breaks G1 really bad becuase now you will never run out of money to buy new things with.
Unless you decide to buy potions by the hundreds for some reason.

I want to say the game was designed around you dying and so on, so that you would actually trade items like the ones in the castle chests, but it's so shit that they take your ore when you die (and the fact there's so, so little ore to begin with, and some things can only be traded with ore and nothing else) that it feels like a huge oversight.

I would really need to start a new playthrough and die, but then again, I wouldn't be playing the same game anymore because I would know exactly who can kick my ass (everything that isn't a Scavenger or two) and who can't.

EDIT: And I really need to get a hold of a German installer for the game, because the awful voice acting gets on my nerves whenever my character opens his mouth. It really feels like they handed the VA a script without context for any of his lines.

"I want to fight! Right now!" - Spoken like a child

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
When I finished with Gothic II I naturally went straight into Gothic 3.It took me approximately 48 hours of gameplay before I truly realised what I had gotten myself into

Well it at least it didn't take 1337 hours.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Speaking of Gothic, I didn't know that molerats are an actual thing until earlier this week. Well, not quite identical to the in-game ones, but still.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Alright, I need to ask because this shit is driving me crazy. Just how do you cast spells in this game?

I have the scroll I need: turn into little bug. But I can't seem to use it. I "equip" the scroll, but no matter what combination of keys I try to use (I expected it to work Action + Forward), it doesn't work. I only managed to do it once in a previous save, but never again. My mana is full. So what gives?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Just click on it in inventory like you do with food or potions.

I ended up realizing what I needed to do: once I equip the scroll, I actually need to start combat and push Weapon+Forward to cycle through melee, ranged, and magic. Unintuitive as it is common in Gothic, but thankfully got that out of the way.

T. Reich

Arcane
Nah, you're just retarded. Took you two weeks to figure out something that normal people figure out in a heartbeat. Or other normal people who don't want to figure shit out so they read the fucking manual and know the right keys from the get-go.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Or other normal people who don't want to figure shit out so they read the fucking manual and know the right keys from the get-go.

You are right about this part, I never bother to read manuals since everything is easily figured out, except how to switch between different styles (since the in-game controls menu doesn't give any indication whatsoever about it). Thank God for the style hotkeys.

Deleted Member 16721

I think I posted earlier but I'm too lazy to go back and check!

I recently played Gothic 1 a year or so back and loved it. A lot.

I think it's a shame that more developers haven't taken ideas directly from that game to implement in modern RPGs. I mean, the list of interesting mechanics in that game is really long. Just for a quick example, the hand-placed enemy encounters all over the open-world map, with dangerous areas at every turn, "gating" where you can explore and where you need to get stronger and come back later.

I mean, think about this. What RPG other than Gothic can you recall that places a deadly forest with enemies that can one or two shot you right next to the level 1 road? I love stuff like that.

More Gothic-style world-building, please. Also love how you start with absolutely nothing, have to scavenge to survive, etc. The prison colony is one of the best settings I've ever played in an RPG, for sure.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I needed someone to post something else so I could avoid a double post.

- I'm in Chapter 3, witnessed the Sleeper part (so even though I accidentally read the spoiler tag, it doesn't come as a surprise at the moment). I like how the quests just work and the sidequests make sense. Gothic so far is a game that takes me a while to start up, but one I can't drop once I'm playing. I put 5 hours into the game just today, so I'm guessing the reason I'm only 15 hours in is because the early game was maybe a tad frustrating and I ended up ragequitting far too many times.
- I have, as usual, a few control issues but that's mostly because of CTRL getting stuck and the left-click not working properly (need to dismantle the mouse and see what's wrong).
I'm using a Light Guard Armor now, and a pretty cool mace that does 37 damage (or so I suppose). I destroy low-level enemies in one hit (Scavengers, those flying bugs, molerats), two hit other enemies like lizards and wolves (fuckers were a nightmare in the past), and three hit other enemies that still barely deal any damage to me. The dinosaur thingies are dangerous in groups so I need to lure them out one at a time, same with other enemies. Orcs are still a no go.
- The world feels fantastically alive, with lively camps and NPCs who talk to each other. Voice acting is really underrated when done well, and very overrated when it is included in a game (since most games don't take advantage of it). The day/night cycle is very well done, especially regarding creatures.
- I like the sense of progress. Joined the camp, people didn't hate me for introduing into their homes anymore, later a Shadow and now a Guard, even the guy who bullied me at the beginning of the game (and who I defied) now congratulates me for being a part of the flock.
- I can't stress out how much I like the experience system. It shows that the 0-10 skill scale system in 3D RPGs is pointless, particularly in FO3 and FNV's 1-100. Not so in Morrowind, since it works on dice rolls and every point counts. But Gothic really pulls of the "inexperienced, skilled, master" aspect, it's so simple yet so realistic in a way that really makes me take my hat off to the germans who made the game.

My only regret so far is that Gothic's early game on a first run is a one-of-a-kind experience, since I know I won't be as incompetent in my second run. Hopefully not reloading when attacked by human opponents will make the game more interesting.

Also, how much I'm loving Gothic despite hating it at the beginning ALMOST makes me want to give Arcanum a second chance. Almost...

Deleted Member 16721

Quick tip for future Gothic players - You might want to consider using a customizable gaming mouse to help improve the controls.

I use an older Logitech mouse that allows you to customize different games and create different profiles, etc. I found the controls were super easy to use with some extra mouse button inputs.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ignore this fluent peasant and just rebind to keyboard controls, men.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom