Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Gothic turns 15 years

In order to avoid fuckups you simply should save manually from time to time.

So, occasional manual save in multiple slots and I'm fine? That's not so bad, doing same shit for Fallout 1/2. Having to avoid quicksave completely would piss me off a bit.

Old One

Arcane
This thread got me thinking about my first Gothic 1 game. I remember my character's sole ambition for the entire first half or so was to find that asshole who punched him in the face and pay him back. Very satisfying.

I expected armor to be a big deal but damn, it's YUGE. Before I was only really comfortable taking on small packs of 2-3 scavengers/molerats/blood flies and would still occasionally die, now I'm tanking packs of 6 lizards with barely a scratch on me without even trying. This definitely sped things up along. Change is so huge most likely because I went straight for Heavy Shadow Armor from Diego without even trying to battle with Shadow Dress they gave me. Sold that right away. Who the fuck wants to wear a dress, let alone in prison..

Elex

Arbiter
i loved dragon hunter armor but the paladin armor is still my favoirte: because of the hair clipping.

I must be pretty close to the end. Majority of map is genocided and boredom is setting in because of all the running back and forth. Pyranha Bytes as fuck. Savegame time close to 30 hours. STR at 100, Two Handed level 2 taken. Though I was just as fine with 2H level 1. Just keep swinging weapon left and right, no forward combo and there's nothing majority of enemies can do 1v1. They just keep bumping into my sword without being able to land a hit. Could've just as well used those 40 LP for something else. Something got in me and I grabbed the mage as secondary option but now regret it as I barely wanna use it, going DEX and bows and sticking to scrolls would've been better. Oh well, won't make much of a difference at this point. Took level 1 lock picking and pick pocketing and ended up never using the latter.
I had enough quality exploregasms with this one, as expected. Thank you Codex for reminding me about this game enough times to shame me into playing.

Last edited:
someone explain me the 250 hours

As soon as I heard that shit I knew I won't ever be installing it. I wouldn't even trust good game developers to provide me that amount of quality content. Fuck if I'm gonna take some modders seriously on this.

It's over. That tedious sleeper fight. I had to take a break from it because it kept crashing during the fight too. Was a bit disappointed after slaughtering Gomez and his men by lack of option to brag about it to someone in New Camp. You'd think at least Lee would've been interested.. Oh well. Had a good time, for the most part. Can't say I enjoyed the combat much, even after maxing my skills. The fucking lock on coupled with lack of option to strike more than one enemy pissed me off many times. Though it was easy for most part at least and the colony was fun to explore.

mwnn85

Savant
Gothic 2 Remaster is out!

Why can't they exercise a bit of restraint when they make these type of mods.
Strictly speaking if they've altered things or added new content then it's a re-visioning not a remastering.
Probably just stick to using the GOG version plus the DX11 renderer:
https://github.com/ataulien/GD3D11

I'd be happy with just the old bugs quashed, free mouselook and WASD controls (like Risen) so it feels a bit more modern.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
Gothic 2 Remaster is out!

Why can't they exercise a bit of restraint when they make these type of mods.
Strictly speaking if they've altered things or added new content then it's a re-visioning not a remastering.
Probably just stick to using the GOG version plus the DX11 renderer:
https://github.com/ataulien/GD3D11

I'd be happy with just the old bugs quashed, free mouselook and WASD controls (like Risen) so it feels a bit more modern.

Last time i played Gothic 2 had free mouselook and WASD controls. And its actually not as bad as i had it in memory. Just set the cameraspeed to a higher level in the .ini file.

mwnn85

Savant
Last time i played Gothic 2 had free mouselook and WASD controls. And its actually not as bad as i had it in memory. Just set the cameraspeed to a higher level in the .ini file.
Maybe my memory is failing.
I've always played it using keyboard controls after rebinding the keys to something more sensible.
I seem to remember the camera rotating as the player character turns with quite a bit of inertia/delay.
All a bit awkward with the way the camera locks on in combat.

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
G1 had a bit wonky camera movement, because it was originally coded to be only played with keyboard. Mouselook can be used, but it's VERY slow.
G2 had engine properly updated for mouse use, so mouselook was easy and not awkward.

I just played through G1 using keyboard and mouse.. Don't see what the big deal is. All it took to get comfortable enough was to increase mouse sensitivity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom