Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto V FIVE Thread

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

deuxhero

Arcane
Maybe it's because I played Saints Row 3 within a year or so of SR2 but I was fairly let down. The campaign missions were fairly short and the activities were carbon copies from the second. Questioning whether I'd buy 4 even at some $5 bargain price -- especially considering it is more like SR 3.5 than SR4.

Played, and near 100%ed, during the free weekend and this is pretty much like baturinsky said. It's a fun (but VERY short) game, but hardly a Saints Row game outside of a few parts where they are directly referencing the first 3. Very much worth paying 5 bucks for when the "complete" version hits that price.

Still, the fact that it iis actually a fairly good game instead of a complete piece of shit like 3 (most of the jokes are actually funny this time) gives me hope 5 (which Dane Vogel's voice actor confirmed) will at least be comparable to 2.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
So Morgoth, I told you it was coming to PS4 and Xbone didn't I?

So?
You were wrong again, as always.

I can't even recall that we were arguing about something. I just don't give a crap about this game, or your petty enmity.

Here a reminder:

Game developers never ever "plan" anything until they suddenly announce they've been working on it all along. That's just how it is, product announcements are an important part of marketing and they must be managed carefully.

Yes, but we're talking about Dan Houser here. He is no bullshitter, because he isn't required to lie. I think it's save to say that they won't plan a Next-Gen console version, because easy money grabbing would degrade their reputation. Reviewers would then say "Oh, it's just Higher Res and 60 fps, we expected more from you Rockstar". Nobody at Rockstar is interested in that. They live and die by their exceptionally high quality standards and reputation.

If it's on NextGen consoles, it truly must be next gen build from the ground up.

PC version however will still come out regardless.
I hope you remember this post 6 months from now.
:lol:

Ok so technically it was 9 months.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
What happened to the game?
The main character that was best was Tommy Vercetti, followed by CJ.
Why? They were their own men, never some other guy's bitch.
They took what they wanted and said fuck you to everyone else.

Nico? Bitch.
Franklin, Trevor, Mike? Trevor was the only one that wasn't a bitch when he was running his own operations, but still he became a fucking punk when the group started doing shit for the FBI.
I mean, what the fuck. Mike was a self pitying asshole, Franklin was constantly waffling about how deep he wanted to go, how much he wanted to make, all of that shit, and Trevor couldn't stop bellyaching about being fucked over by Mike, and crying about how much time he spent mourning his friend.
In the end, they were all pussies for that.

Tommy Vercetti? Not so much. CJ? The only bitch he was to was to the cops, and even then he got paid for it all.

one more reason why vice city is still the best one imo

Dexter

Arcane
I cannot begin to imagine the feeling of joy and the look of triumph that must have crossed Volrath 's face when he digged up that 9 month old post to affirm that my guess was wrong.

Must feel like a true achievement for you, Volrath.
:butthurt:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Morgoth, your comment about lower review scores due to it being a port rings hollow, because you forget this is Rockstar and GTA and thus reviewers will write things like "the greater graphical fidelity means the true emotion and brilliance of the game come out even greater than ever before. Worth a replay at $60 for all but the most jaded of cynics. 10/10."

They wouldn't dare write anything else.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Only thing in graphical fidelity that bugged me on consoles were the aforementionend pop-ins, the jagged edges and the very very sparse vegetation in the wilds. Hope that gets fixed

Dexter

Arcane

If that really represents the difference between the two versions I bet they prepared all the resources and shit for "Next Gen" from the get-go and then went back and took everything dragging down FPS out for release date.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
If that really represents the difference between the two versions I bet they prepared all the resources and shit for "Next Gen" from the get-go and then went back and took everything dragging down FPS out for release date.

Which would be the smart way to do it, instead of having to go back and improve stuff later. They knew that they could sell a lot more copies by just bringing the same game (essentially) to the new consoles.

TripJack

Hedonist
does every game have to be infected with that retarded depth of field shit nowadays? if you're going to make all the textures look better why the hell would you hide half of them with blur?

Dexter

Arcane

Which would be the smart way to do it, instead of having to go back and improve stuff later. They knew that they could sell a lot more copies by just bringing the same game (essentially) to the new consoles.
Well d'uh, but I was initially afraid they might just increase the sight range and add some cosmetic effects and be done with it, kind of somewhat sad that they would "waste" 5 years of development for the end of a console cycle, but they seem to be doing almost everything right.

Back when the trailer was released that stuff looked like right out of 2004-2005 or something. The only reason why it "looked" somewhat better than its predecessor was slightly improved Texturing and paying more attention to details.

Sight range even seemed decreased at points, so they could fit in more details in the foreground e.g.
gta2xcs2.png

gta4rc6d.png

gta133dk0.png

gta8sdg8.png

gta10fd81.png

Simple shadows and poor lighting made some stuff look right out fake.

gta6gcpd.png

That mountain looked like a Skybox far off and the vegetation was everything but dense, making ot look look unnatural and the background like a picture instead of 3D terrain like DICE did for BF3 or iD did for RAGE.

gta118eqc.png

Fire effects right out of DX9...

Also jaggies and shit all over, since they applied only a slight FXAA, while GTAIV at least had 2xAA/QAA on consoles.

I'm very positively impressed and it was definitely worth the wait for the proper version of the game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Most people don't care. Most people think a 300MB torrent download looks about as good as a 50GB blu ray. Most people think PC versions look "the same."

Tytus

Arcane

Most people don't care. Most people think a 300MB torrent download looks about as good as a 50GB blu ray. Most people think PC versions look "the same."

Well, duh. It's a well known fact that you need at least 99999999999999999 dollar PC to match what PS4 has to offer.

Dexter

Arcane

Most people do care or they wouldn't have bought a PS4/Xbox One (or the previous console generation) and/or they wouldn't buy the PC version again.

They might not readily admit because... durr Gameplay over all and all that... but they do.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Most people do care or they wouldn't have bought a PS4/Xbox One (or the previous console generation) and/or they wouldn't buy the PC version again.

They might not readily admit because... durr Gameplay over all and all that... but they do.

Nah. They're buying new consoles for new games, not ports of old ones. And yeah obviously a lot of PC gamers are PC gamers because of graphics, but they're a minority in the gaming world. Hence "most people" don't care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom