Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Graphics, Gameplay and Story

Pretty graphics can't make up for shitty gameplay and videogame stories are universally shit, being at best entertaining excuses for your hero(es) to kill a lot of things...so naturally the only possible answer is Gameplay > Graphics > Story.

Thread is shit and OP is a faggot

laclongquan

Arcane
OP should do a poll to reflect choice

Graphics > Gameplay > Story
Graphics > Gameplay = Story
Graphics > Story > Gameplay
Graphics > Story = Gameplay
Gameplay > Graphics > Story
Gameplay > Graphics = Story
Gameplay > Story > Graphics
Gameplay > Story = Gameplay
Story > Graphics > Gameplay
Story > Graphics = Gameplay
Story > Gameplay > Graphics
Story > Gameplay = Graphics

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"Story" is too small to matter as much as gameplay and graphics. It should be a combination of setting, lore, plot, characters, pacing, writing quality, lenght, etc...

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Glorious storyfag master race, stay away from me dirty gameplay peasants.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Glorious Bioware master race, stay away from me dirty gameplay peasants.

Fixed
I don't know why you'd associate that with Bioware. The gameplay of their stuff isn't so great but it's no worse than any other popamole garbage, and their storylines are mediocre. Come to think of it the graphics are usually lackluster, too. Damn, Bioware is just totally devoid of redeeming qualities, aren't they?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is universal truth that graphics matter over anything else for a visual medium (and without visual representation the medium wouldn't be possible in the first place), the single most important factor in getting games to evolve and their increase in popularity as well as what one is able to do with the "gameplay" and "story" in the first place have been increasing technological jumps in computer graphics and the methods to display them over the years, from the very first "cathode ray tube" creations that a few scientists got to enjoy to today where Virtual Reality might finally become a possibility.

I enjoy text adventures. Many of these have pretty good stories and also pretty cool gameplay systems beneath (there are some with RPG systems, some with simulated NPC scheules etc) and some even try abstract experimental shit that might not even be possible to properly show with graphics.

Your argument is invalid.

Cazzeris

All game genres:

Gameplay>Story>Graphics

RPG:

C&C->RPG Systems->Gameplay->Nonlinearity=Exploration->Setting->Story->Combat->Lore->Art design->Technical Graphics

Cazzeris

RPG:

C&C->RPG Systems->Gameplay->Nonlinearity=Exploration->Setting->Story->Combat->Lore->Art design->Technical Graphics

So what you are saying is:

Gameplay->Gameplay->Gameplay->Gameplay=Gameplay->Setting->Story->Gameplay->Lore->Art design->Technical Graphics

How is C&C not gameplay? I suppose it could be argued that a part of C&C is writing but how on earth is combat not gameplay? Or are you just stating that C&C alone is more important than the rest of the gameplay elements and that combat, exploration etc. are less important parts of the whole that is gameplay?

Yes, I am.

That's my opinion.

Glorious Bioware master race, stay away from me dirty gameplay peasants.

Fixed
I don't know why you'd associate that with Bioware. The gameplay of their stuff isn't so great but it's no worse than any other popamole garbage, and their storylines are mediocre. Come to think of it the graphics are usually lackluster, too. Damn, Bioware is just totally devoid of redeeming qualities, aren't they?

They (try) to focus on stories, though. Your kind is what brought Bioware upon us. Death to storyfags!

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Like most people here: Gameplay > Story > Graphics.

Gameplay is what separates video games from everything else. Everything is important but gameplay is the core.
This is also the reason why gameplay mods are the best type of mod too (no bias, being the creator of a gameplay mod :))

C&C is when story and gameplay interact.

No, it's much broader than this.

Also add me to the crowd: death to Bioware fags! Such terrible gameplay and level design prevalent through all their games. Can't say I've found their writing to be anything truly praise-worthy either.

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
A simple ranking like that is banal and makes little sense. Every game is different and each element must support the game's design goal, how they should be prioritized to achieve that is the designer/producer's job.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Usually gameplay first, then graphics, then story. However, I reckon if any game has got one of these three nailed the game does have a chance.

I am not even sure games are supposed to have decent stories - the number of good ones can't even be counted on one hand considering the thousands of games I played in my opinion. How many times can I remember the storyline of a game I have played?

Mass Effect 1 had a decent story - quite hard for me to get there in the end - but I managed it. Planescape Torment is supposed to have a great story - both times I tried to get even a tenth of the way there I failed miserably. Bioshock 1 - great story line - as in Bioshock Infinite. If a game keeps me playing to see the story unfold - that would be amazing - most don't though. Morrowind had a good story line.

For me - gameplay is most important. Here are my thoughts on the games I have played a lot in the last few months.

Dungeons of Dredmor. Was addictive as hell - going deeper in the dungeon, finding new items, exploring other character builds. Did Archaeology and Killer Vegan skills work well together? It took me a while to figure out how the crafting worked then I sort of went nuts for a while trying to make items. I didn't even read what the story was about and still don't know - only that I beat the game twice. The graphics were suitable for the game - they did enough to get the job done. Just move your character in e direction you wanted him to go. In fact some of the graphics used for monsters were obviously created by five year old children. Once the new content came out I had to force myself to stop playing. These sort of games don't need a story - we all know what they are - get out of the dungeon and escape or go deeper into the dungeon and kill the big baddie and complete the game.

Fallout 3 NV - what was the story? In these sandbox type games I like to explore and make my own story. A true role-player does not follow the path set by others - I make my own path. Obviously the developers did put a lot of backstory and upfront story into it for those that like that sort of stuff. Great Khans, NCR, Caesar's Legions etc. Oh - look - there were Khans in Fallout 1 in 1997 - it did not matter to me then and not since. Truthfully - the graphics were not that great - but sufficient. Gameplay pretty good though - I liked that you gained XP by just exploring and finding locations or opening locks - or just talking. I liked fast travel. I liked levelling up and gaining skill points to distribute as you wanted. For once - skills in the game all seemed useful. I liked the perks. I did not finish New Vegas as I could not be bothered about the story - however I did finish FO3, I wanted to complete that story.

The Diablo clones - all about gameplay - all about feeding the desire to level up and gain stuff. Give me lots of loot - get me a rare set! Graphics again sufficient to the task. Although I quite liked the graphics in Titan Quest. They seemed romantic and decent musical score. In TQ, again the developers have done a lot of research into the myths and ancient story lines - but I can't be bothered to read all that. I liked how you can move your mouse wheel and scroll in and get a good close up of your character in his miniskirt. Inventory management is a problem in both TQ and Torchlight 2 - really needs to be addressed somewhere - seems such a waste of time to move all the loot around. These games I like as they are easy to pick up and you can just click away - pretty mindless fun.

Bioshock Infinite - now saying earlier that storylines are always the same - it's quite refreshing when you come across a game that manages to surprise you. This one did due to a great and confusing storyline - I loved this game. Beat it twice and then spent the next week reading as many reviews and thoughts about the game as I could online. For a short while I was obsessed with the game. Best bit of the game was when Elizabeth was captured and you try and rescue her - but you fail - that was very emotional for me - as the hero in games you are not supposed to fail. That shook me up. Graphics were great but the gameplay was broken in many ways - it barely did enough so you would not hate the game and let the graphics and story come through. Those stupid pants and hats. Only one weapon at a time. You jump off the platforms und plummet down and end up back where you are? Linear as hell. You can't talk to anyone at all?

Bards Tale 1 - Well I only played that game as I find the older you get the more of your childhood you want to remember before it is all lost. I liked the gameplay actually. I like having a party to guide around but I hate seeing them. Just tell me if they hit or miss etc. Let me grow them. Don't make me watch them. Quite easy to manage combat and I did not mind the random encounters - apart from when the game would crash - but that was more to factors outside factors. Graphics pretty good for what was required. Again I don't know much about the story - who has time to read anything anyway - the screens are so small and not designed for reading stuff. Would have completed the game for the crashes. Now graphics do matter a bit. I tried BT2 and BT3 in this new package and found those two games had worse graphics than the first one! I want to play BT3 again but how can I on a game designed for a calculator specs? I played these games on C64 in the old games - how did the PC folk manage with only black and white and grey or whatever that crap was.

Fallout 1 - There is a word I need to find to describe this game - err - it’s harsh, unforgiving. First time I played recently I was doing well and had not really followed the story line and my game promptly closed down after 100 (or 150) days game time - wtf was that about? In Skyrim I am able to forget the main storyline and just do what I want - forever. I think the skills are broken - some seem useless. Why are so many things hidden and hard to find? Graphics pretty good actually. I like the combat mechanics. But now I remember why I did not finish this game first time around - it is hard and unforgiving. Seems like hard work. So apart from this 100 day deadline where your PC shuts down - I liked the gameplay most - it is challenging. How many times did I try and fail to beat Lorenzo and his guards - it was about 10. Can't even say it is worth it in the end. What I like though was at one point I stopped looking at XP and levelling and just played - I explored. Great gameplay, decent graphics, can someone explain the plot to me? What does Outdoorsman do - it's in the game right as a skill? Has anyone actually used it or had it.

So Gameplay>Graphics>Story is how it normally is. But give me all three if you can.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Fallout 3 NV - what was the story? In these sandbox type games I like to explore and make my own story. A true role-player does not follow the path set by others - I make my own path. Obviously the developers did put a lot of backstory and upfront story into it for those that like that sort of stuff. Great Khans, NCR, Caesar's Legions etc. Oh - look - there were Khans in Fallout 1 in 1997 - it did not matter to me then and not since. Truthfully - the graphics were not that great - but sufficient. Gameplay pretty good though - I liked that you gained XP by just exploring and finding locations or opening locks - or just talking. I liked fast travel. I liked levelling up and gaining skill points to distribute as you wanted. For once - skills in the game all seemed useful. I liked the perks. I did not finish New Vegas as I could not be bothered about the story - however I did finish FO3, I wanted to complete that story.

- however I did finish FO3, I wanted to complete that story.

:retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded:

DalekFlay Onholyservicebound

Kill yourself. There is literally nothing that can redeem you.

Last edited:
:nocountryforshitposters:
That kind of story seems like it could be very appealing to someone with a childlike mind. Play as a baby, play as a child, find your daddy, ask simple questions and have grown ups treat you like you'r smart, find a whole village of self sufficient children, play as a child again and commit mischief with a man pretending to be a little girl, easy to understand archetypical characters, all with the goal of stopping the really bad evil guys reminiscent of power ranger villains
wu554k.jpg
jaze-06.jpg
(complete with horns and spiked shoulders) from killing everyone for no reason . No critical thinking required, you don't have to learn about the various factions and their politics, you only have to choose the evil bad guys or the nice good guys. The lack of freedom in the story is good for a childlike person with little agency, and it has giant robots! What's not to love.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom