Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Graphics that are too good

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wasn't talking about pixel art per-se, but pixel art as it found among modern indie gaymes.

KCG looks good but judging from videos the foliage doesn't seem to react when passing over it. Strange considering it's CryEngine 2 and that was the coolest part of Crysis, leaves moving around the player, getting shredded by bullets and shaking from grenade detonations. Too bad they didn't implement it, I was looking forward to some tree chopping... Maybe it wasn't a "part" of the engine or something like that.

Maybe it is because Crysis 1 still rapes CPUs with all its interactivity between various objects. That's why Crysis 2 and 3 didn't have destructible trees.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not if it's well done. There is a definite sliding scale of appreciation where this is concerned; where more detail actually detracts from the appreciation of the skill that can present a striking image with limited color.

In fact...there was an interesting blog post about it too: http://www.dinofarmgames.com/a-pixel-artist-renounces-pixel-art/
(Ironic though)

I love pixel art done well, the problem with many modern indie pixel art games is they don't really get art direction, and don't get what made early 90s pixelated games look beautiful.

In many indie games today, pixel art is only chosen because it's the hip and cool thing to do, or because it's cheap, or both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom