Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Great Soundtrack" tag a good judge of a game?

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Looking through steam I think I may have found a way to exclude hipster shit games with little effort. It seems most of those games have "Great Soundtrack" as one of the first labels and uses it as a selling point bullet. I have zero desire to ever watch a person play a game, but listening to a game is even lower on my list of things I do not want to do with a game. Spend the money on making the game have better systems.

Also, if rpg isn't a prominent tag, or you have to click on "more tags" to find out why the game is showing in the rpg games section of steam, that is also a really good indicator if the game is hipster trash.

I really wish steam had better sorting options. As well as a much better recommendation system. When I look through their recommendations for me it is half not rpgs and the other half is games with naked children for pedophiles. I am not and will never be interested in either. Its like steam things if it keeps forcing this shit on me I'll buy some of them and fall in love with shit games and games for child rapists.

What do you think? Are there any actually good games with "Great Soundtrack" as a major tag and selling point?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Probably not, because aren't tags chosen by a simple majority? I think they are, and another reason user tags are annoying. The majority don't know music.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Great soundtrack is tagged on Fallout 2 and I'd say that's fair. I agree that music isn't a selling point for an otherwise bad game, but I don't think the tag is really much of an indicator on hipster shit. Ususally you can tell by the tone of the game description, the artstyle, and the multitude of reviews saying that it's OMG SO DEEP

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Probably not, because aren't tags chosen by a simple majority? I think they are, and another reason user tags are annoying. The majority don't know music.

Of course, if the did know music that tag would never go on a game and rarely even a movie. Some soundtracks have a good song or two, but in general are shit. Judgement Night was a great soundtrack. I think it is safe to say it may be the best original soundtrack ever made or ever will be made, followed by Curtis mAyfield for Super Fly (bad it wasn't very vast or all new). But both Guardians of the Galaxies had good sountracks off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more I'm just drawing a blank.

Gerrard

Arcane
Hmm, let's see, games that I have that have this tag
Bastion
Guilty Gear series
Distance
Jets'n'Guns
Total Annihilation
Supreme Commander
The Witcher series

Is the OP a faggot? Yes, yes they are. They are probably the kind of a faggot that listens to some garbage they think is music while playing instead of the game's soundtrack.

Great soundtrack is tagged on Fallout 2 and I'd say that's fair. I agree that music isn't a selling point for an otherwise bad game, but I don't think the tag is really much of an indicator on hipster shit. Ususally you can tell by the tone of the game description, the artstyle, and the multitude of reviews saying that it's OMG SO DEEP
Shit games rarely have great soundtracks.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Hmm, let's see, games that I have that have this tag
Bastion
Guilty Gear series
Distance
Jets'n'Guns
Total Annihilation
Supreme Commander
The Witcher series

Is the OP a faggot? Yes, yes they are. They are probably the kind of a faggot that listens to some garbage they think is music while playing instead of the game's soundtrack.

Shit games rarely have great soundtracks.

So you like hipster shit? And if faggot means "has good taste" then I sure am. I am the most faggoty faggot ever in that case. And you would not be a faggot at all - even a little. But if faggot means hipster idiot with no taste of his own who only likes what the internet tells him to then it would have to be switched as you would be a huge faggot.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Soundtrack is icing on the cake. Good soundtrack is a great bonus, but without it a game wont be a bad game.

I'd say overall sound design are more important than soundtrack, but amazing soundtracks like nier, divinity games, etc is an amazing addition for me

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
To me the soundtrack is the very least important thing of a game. I turn off music in most games, especially any FPS.

I don't turn them off but I turn the music way down. It just isn't good enough ever to listen to. Not comparatively with actual real music by professionals that get there music know by people who actually like music for music's sake, and not game music because they weren't hugged enough as a kid or never had a radio or whatever the reason is for them never hearing actual good music the normal way.

Its like in Demolition Man when they just play old commercial jingles on the radio. Its just weird and unseemly.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
It just isn't good enough ever to listen to.

A lot of the time it's more about enhancing atmosphere than anything else. Most video game musicians are not trying to create something that you'd listen to outside of the game. I'm sure they'd appreciate it if people enjoyed it that much, but as I said, it's generally more in the service of enhanceing the mood of the current game environment or plot point

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
It just isn't good enough ever to listen to.

A lot of the time it's more about enhancing atmosphere than anything else. Most video game musicians are not trying to create something that you'd listen to outside of the game. I'm sure they'd appreciate it if people enjoyed it that much, but as I said, it's generally more in the service of enhanceing the mood of the current game environment or plot point

My mood is enhanced when I don't have to wade through nonsense tags like "Great Soundtrack" when trying to find a game worth money and playing that isn't hipster trash for idiots and children.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
wade through nonsense tags

That's a bit dramatic. Why are you even using the tag system to look for games? You said yourself that it's a shit system.

I use it more to rule out games. Like nudity, weird words I don't know what they mean, hipster words, and the lack of an rpg tag (or rpag tag you have to click on the "see more tags" button to see.

I truly wish I didn';t have to spend so much time trying to figure out if a game I want to purchase is a game, and if it is a game is an an actual rpg? What are the features? Why does the trailer not tell me anything? Why does it link to yahoo videos of people playing the game? Do I seem retarded enough to watch someone else play a game over the internet? Just fucking tell me what I care about. But they don't. I ask questions in the forums and get stupid replies from stupid people that answer nothing.

If information is power everyone wants to horde there power because getting information is like pulling teeth. So I end up having to buy, download, install, set up, and play the game myself just to find out it isn't an rpg and is barely even a game. It is a waste of the play time I have.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Do I seem retarded enough to watch someone else play a game over the internet?

Would a few minutes of a Youtube let's play really kill you, if it could answer a lot of your questions? Sometimes I'll click like part 4 of a LP series then skip to combat or whatever, just to see what it's like, I don't really see an issue with that.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Do I seem retarded enough to watch someone else play a game over the internet?

Would a few minutes of a Youtube let's play really kill you, if it could answer a lot of your questions? Sometimes I'll click like part 4 of a LP series then skip to combat or whatever, just to see what it's like, I don't really see an issue with that.

Yes, growing up in large family with one TV and having to wait forever for my nerve wracking turn of Super Mario Bros while my whole family projected their hate at the person with the controller wishing and hoping for their quick death traumatized me. I make good money. I play video games, I don't watch other people play them. There is a whole fucking big ass page to just competently write the games features and systems. Why can no dev seem to competently do this? Why is so hard about making a trailer that actually shows what the game is about and gets me to want to but it?

If you were interested in a movie wouldn't you rather watch a trailer of the movie rather than watch someone watch the movie? Watching people do shit I want to do myself is fucking utter retardedness in its most basic and base form. It should be illegal because I guess people have to be forced to be normal with laws and punishments.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
a trailer that actually shows what the game is about
How do you suppose they would make that without recording gameplay? Y'know, someone else playing the game

It sounds like a few minutes of a let's play is exactly what you want

No. Is watching a movie trailer the same as watching a let's watch video of someone watching the movie? Its a fucking trailer, showing gameplay because that is what trailers do. Trailers should never show someone playing the game or watching the movie the trailer is trying to sell. I know because I took many, many advanced college courses on trailers for various media and mediums. From 101 to 880. I know everything there is to know about trailers. So I automatically win this argument. I also win because you keep trying to get people to watch other people play video games over the internet. It is weird and unseemly. I am offering you a hand up, not a hand out. Let me guide you to sanityland.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The movie thing is a terrible equivalence and I think you might be autistic.

How so? I want to play a game myself. I want to watch the movie myself. I want to ride a bike myself. I like doing things. When I watch other people do things I want it to be a professionally made show or movie with paid actors, key grips, director of somethingography, and a long list of professionals who got paid to do professional stuff for my viewing pleasure. Not a bunch of fucking idiots getting paid because the world makes no sense and millennials are fucking idiots.

A key sign of autism is the inability to see the big picture and to focus too much on small details. I see the big picture and I'm telling you it is a great analogy. I'd be interested in you explaining why it is not a good analogy or equivalence as you put it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom