Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Greatest scene in gaming history?

mastroego

Arcane
This has got to be right up there, just the opening scene and then you start the game waking up on the slab. As cliche as some of the ideas were, it really hasn't been done in a better way. Atmosphere through the roof, creepy music, art nailing down the mood nearly to perfection. Then a wise-cracking skull comes floating up. Boom, you're hooked.
The trailer was incredible too. Capture the setting with a few images and notes. Historic indeed.

DramaticPopcorn

This one should rank pretty high in any list:

I haven't played Homeworld, but this scene is chilling :

Honestly, no. The beast as a villain was fairly generic fantasy space opera magic power. It wasn't near as ominous as Taidan chasing after you throughout the galaxy and you having to always stay on your toes to escape. The openning has this sense of wonderment and discovery mixed with incredible sorrow and ... bafflement at the brutality of upcoming events.

Sykar

Arcane
One of my favourite and most memorable scenes from a computer game, albeit no the only one:

"This is what my eyes see my love, unfettered by the shackles of time
You shall meet enemies three, but none more dangerous than yourself in full glory
They are shades of evil, of good and of neutrality given life and twisted by the laws of the planes
You shall come to a prison, built of regrets and sorrow, where the shadows themselves have gone mad
There you will be asked to make a terrible sacrifice my love
For the matter to be layed to rest, you must destroy that which keeps you alive and be immortal no longer
I know that you must die while you still can, the circle must come to a close my love
You were not meant for this life
You must find that which was taken from you and travel beyond into the lands of the dead
I shall wait for you in deaths halls my love"

Deleted member 7219

MCA's finest moment - restored.

There is an incredible amount of depth in conversations like these, the ones regarding the Force and what happened to the Exile. I'm still learning new things each time I play KOTOR 2.

Deleted member 7219

One reason (of many) why I love The Witcher 2.

No forced BIG BATTLE!!!1 at the end. Just choice. Granted, two - let him go or kill him, but how many AAA RPGs allow that these days? How many games allow you to have a drink with the big bad and let him walk?

Last edited by a moderator:
This has got to be right up there, just the opening scene and then you start the game waking up on the slab. As cliche as some of the ideas were, it really hasn't been done in a better way. Atmosphere through the roof, creepy music, art nailing down the mood nearly to perfection. Then a wise-cracking skull comes floating up. Boom, you're hooked.

Yeah, that's the good stuff. I also very much enjoyed the ending. It was so fitting and final:

Sykar

Arcane
Metroid Prime 2 Ending:

Thought it was a powerful moment at around 2:46, after saving a planet from destruction and an alien race from total extinction she simply waves a short good bye without looking bad.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
Metroid Prime 2 Ending:

Thought it was a powerful moment at around 2:46, after saving a planet from destruction and an alien race from total extinction she simply waves a short good bye without looking bad.

:bounce:

Now for something more interesting:

made

Arcane
Witness Kain - the Eternal Misogynist:

Damsel In Distress: It seems... I was wrong. I could not carry the fight... alone.

Kain: You were brave to try.

Damsel In Distress: Kain... I'm dying.

Kain: Yes. You are.

Damsel In Distress: I need your blood. Please. You can save me.

Kain: I know. Tell me, child. Do you see me ruling Nosgoth?

Damsel In Distress: Yes, yes. I see it now.

Kain: And do you believe that Nosgoth rightly belongs to me?

Damsel In Distress: I do - I believe it, Kain. Please!

Kain: ... Then you may die, knowing the truth.

Damsel In Distress: No!

Kain: You should never have betrayed me. You could have been my queen.

Damsel In Distress: Kain...

Kain: Now you have left me alone...

sser

Arcane
Developer
When I uninstalled Dungeon Siege III. Very procedural content, I'd say, and yet extremely rewarding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom