Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Greed Monger Insider Thread (drama inside)

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Oh, not at all! Your input is valuable to us, and this decision wasn't made lightly. James is a very focused, very driven person. However, his passions lie in coding and development; Not in networking, PR, maintaining a sustainable growth rate, resource management, or creating milestones, team management, etc. Fortunately, those are my strong suits. I personally feel too much was put on the shoulders of a person who wanted to code. I will not be making that mistake.

We are in the process of rebuilding the team, and transferring everything over. As soon as those things fall into place, we'll be able to actually *start* actively developing again. Right now, we're in a holding pattern, as it takes time to migrate everything, and iron out any kinks.
Right on man.Like I said, I'm pulling for you.

jrhager84

Literate
We appreciate your input immensely, and we need all the help we can get! hahaha

Angthoron

Arcane
Enshrining in Retardo is a great idea, but it's not :incloosive: enough, outsiders and newbies will never be able to hear this cautionary tale.

I propose it to be pinned in MMO, this subforum needs its own history.

I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. If we demonstrate that things are different, then there's nothing to caution against. If anything, that only hurts the chances of backers getting what they paid for, by drudging up past issues that have since been corrected. I certainly understand everybody'd hesitation, but please at least give us the time to show you things are different, instead of just assuming we're going to screw you over. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Ah, don't take it too seriously, that's just my writing style.

Will be interesting to see where you guys get. At least it sounds like you have some sort of a plan, which certainly is a lot better of a situation than where GM was earlier.

jrhager84

Literate
We're definitely learning from the past mistakes, and wearing those scars with pride. This certainly hasn't been the best-planned franchise on the planet, but we've been beat enough to know that the way things were working is not gonna fly. In that sense, the community has really helped us reign in what needs to happen, and we're really looking forward to feedback in the future. With such a watchful eye on us, it's actually a positive, as we'll have a direct line with our most-vocal critics, to show them our new plans, and to really take their issues to heart. I think this will be a cathartic experience for all... hahahaha

Angthoron

Arcane
Sounds good. Out of curiosity, do you have any estimate of where GM is in terms of completion? Halfway? Over halfway? What's the most developed side? Least developed?

Also, pinned this.

jrhager84

Literate
I'd say we're about halfway in terms of getting the foundation set. With changes in frameworks, engines, etc, we're having to port some things over and make sure that the new pricing structures and caps are going to scale with our projections accordingly. I'd say our least developed area currently would be assets. We've got some, but we're working with modelers and reaching out so we can really develop some more content on that side. We're trying to find that sweet spot, and get things moving again. Since we're in the middle of transitioning the servers over, and getting the assets, etc. it's hard to really pin down a number, but with the connections we're now utilizing to get assistance, I'm hoping to see the time table shift forward quite a bit. Until we actually get everything set up and working on our side, it's tough to really calculate those variables.

Hopefully that gives you a little more information. We'll be sure to update our progress when we've gotten everything ported over and the dust settles. :)

EJoe

Educated
jrhager84 and GM_JamesPro,

Some heads up.

You might want to give those artists a miss. All the scam-artists are coming out of the wood-work to help the artwork in Greed Monger...

I dunno how (GM Guy) chooses artists but I would just outright dismissed those sham persons doing the artwork for GM and those trying to help you.
That sham artist and others are in failed MMO Kickstarters.

The artwork shouldn't be so poorly done. It's poorly done because that sham person around asking for free work from others and substitutes as his own.

He has no portfolio. I guess nobody checked or noticed...

Angthoron

Arcane
jrhager84 and GM_JamesPro,

Some heads up.

You might want to give those artists a miss. All the scam-artists are coming out of the wood-work to help the artwork in Greed Monger...

I dunno how (GM Guy) chooses artists but I would just outright dismissed those sham persons doing the artwork for GM and those trying to help you.
That sham artist and others are in failed MMO Kickstarters.

The artwork shouldn't be so poorly done. It's poorly done because that sham person around asking for free work from others and substitutes as his own.

He has no portfolio. I guess nobody checked or noticed...
Got any links or samples of stuff you're talking about? Not doubting your words, just would be interesting to see.

GM_JamesPro

Savant
He is no longer with us. We have a dedicated small group of Concept artists now and we have one Jr. Level 3D Modeler who has been with us since day 1 on our QA Team but is now getting into 3D Modeling. We will be getting others on board over the coming weeks. We are already in talks with other Indie studios to get help on the Asset Creation front and so far things are looking promising.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well at least you are ambitioned. I am crossing my fingers for you. I also hope you will find some investor because without it's near impossible, isn't it?

jrhager84

Literate
Well, it's not *entirely* impossible, as with a frugal mindset, and conservative roadmap, I could very well fund this operation myself. However, it'd take a lot longer, and be much more difficult.

jrhager84

Literate
I agree, actually. It's LAUGHABLE how we've managed GM thus far. I couldn't possibly disagree with your assessment of the reality show-stye antics and blatant unprofessional behavior exhibited by ALL of the staff. Right now, we are a joke; A laughing stock. The point is - That doesn't matter. If we let GM fall, there would be NOTHING. At least with MMOI acquiring GM, we can push forward, and either give the people a game worth playing, or give the people a game worth pointing and laughing at. Either way, it's better than nothing.

We're doing our best. I've heard the criticism loud and clear. The silliness ends NOW. I hope in time, you will see what I mean enough to change your mind.

Andnjord

Arcane
So, are we getting now into the third act of the epic GM drama where the heroes of MMOI rally back together and triumphantly deliver a workable title?

(First act being the kickstarter itself and second act being DarkPenguin's glorious battle for truth)

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Great thread, any updates?
No- Ive been talking to james, and Joel and him have had to wait to get the T-Shirts (backer reward from years ago...) sent to them so they could resend them. Supposidly they have been sitting in appletons garage for years and hes been too busy to send them out. They finally received the shirts on Friday (If I remember correctly) and...snicker... The labels are printed backward. At this juncture they are trying to make things right with the backers so I dont mean to laugh but that is funny as hell.

They are having a public stress test on April 25th and will probably announce links and such here when its ready and then they will leave the server up for their backers while they do what they can to get the game going.

Thats about all I know at this point- That they are trying and giving it legitimate effort.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleveland Mark Blakemore

[1/12/2013 8:34:17 PM] Jason Appleton: It's been a month and a half and so far, we haven't accomplished anything but learning that we need to use a different engine.

Cleve, In your experience as a dev- Would this be categorized as a micro issue?

Wrong Engine is a GIga-Issue.
Cleve... I love you man.

No homo.

I love you back, in a strictly non-sexual and no-contact fashion as an abstraction. Mostly.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I got linked here from the Black Geyser thread. This made me want to back Black Geyser, simply because of how much this thread delivers! :hug:

It had more twists, turns and "WTF--you-married-your-sister-who-is-now-a-man!??"-moments than any Australian sitcom ever!

Oh, and good luck to the team! :salute:

Intrigued007

Educated
Missed the public alpha dates for a few weeks now. Any updates on this story? It's so juicy, haha! JamesP seems to be getting more flack over at the MMORPG.com forums, again, as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom