Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Backtracking in Mars Wars Logs was manageable (annoying but not mandatory) while in Technomancer they went full retard (mandatory backtracking for at least 25% of the game).

Despite of this, I think these guys can make a good game if they don't go full retard again. Which means that precautions are justified in this case.

flushfire

Augur
I kinda liked their games. GoT was good IMO. 1st half or 1st third of mars war logs was actually ok, too. The combat was clunky, but not as bad as risen 2. The thing that makes backtracking in their games a total chore is because for some reason they insist on respawning enemies. Dunno why they keep doing it that way.

Heretic

Cipher
I played all of them and they show no sign of improvement whatsoever. The same mistakes and cut corners that are in Mars are in Bound By Flame and in The Technomancer.

Sykar

Arcane
Spiders rpg are still better than post 2010 bioware

images

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Spiders, the company most notable for having an inexplicably hot French lady for a CEO (saves money on the cosplay budget)

They didn't make the Game of Thrones RPG though! That was Cyanide. Common error. The two companies cooperated on making Of Orcs And Men and people have been confusing them ever since.

Modron

Arcane
Spiders, the company most notable for having an inexplicably hot French lady for a CEO (saves money on the cosplay budget)

They didn't make the Game of Thrones RPG though! That was Cyanide. Common error. The two companies cooperated on making Of Orcs And Men and people have been confusing them ever since.
You're right I was kind of under the impression they split off from cyanide but that was another studio they left to become Spiders.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Holy shit, she’s stunning. Why on earth does she work in this business? There are better ways to monetize your looks than convincing nerds to buy crappy games.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Holy shit, she’s stunning. Why on earth does she work in this business? There are better ways to monetize your looks than convincing nerds to buy crappy games.
Maybe she is monetizing something else than her looks?!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

...Touché. When you look that good, though, your face tends to earn better returns than your brain, no matter how smart you might be. If her company was making great games then I wouldn’t consider it a waste, but I think she’s doing a disservice to the world by running a video game company rather than modeling or acting.

jehanne.jpg

This is a face that could launch a thousand magazine covers. Obviously she’s good at running a business since Spiders hasn’t gone under. Do their games sell in France/Europe? Am I missing some brilliant Gallic game design with Technomancer or Mars War Logs? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone recommend them wholeheartedly. Still looking forward to Greedfall because I like the concept (and Jehanne in that conquistador outfit).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

...Touché. When you look that good, though, your face tends to earn better returns than your brain, no matter how smart you might be. If her company was making great games then I wouldn’t consider it a waste, but I think she’s doing a disservice to the world by running a video game company rather than modeling or acting.

jehanne.jpg

This is a face that could launch a thousand magazine covers. Obviously she’s good at running a business since Spiders hasn’t gone under. Do their games sell in France/Europe? Am I missing some brilliant Gallic game design with Technomancer or Mars War Logs? I don’t think I’ve seen anyone recommend them wholeheartedly. Still looking forward to Greedfall because I like the concept (and Jehanne in that conquistador outfit).
Don't know about you mate,but i really like their games,the same way i like PB games. They are clunky and a little bit bugy but they are oozing with atmosphere,decent writing and rpg. I don't know mate,it could be European thing :lol:. Certainly better than any AAA rpgs i have played for years,except the witcher....but he is European to.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

jehanne.jpg

Don't know about you mate,but i really like their games,the same way i like PB games. They are clunky and a little bit bugy but they are oozing with atmosphere,decent writing and rpg. I don't know mate,it could be European thing :lol:. Certainly better than any AAA rpgs i have played for years,except the witcher....but he is European to.

Intriguing. I’d heard this stuff was shovelware, but then again people here are always expressing strong negative opinions about things they’ve never played. Sounds like it might be up my alley. I’d much rather play a clunky, buggy, even janky game that has great atmosphere, with solid writing and role playing, than a more technically polished game with disappointing atmosphere, writing and role playing.

I love Piranha Bytes, even if they can be maddeningly inconsistent. Been replaying the first two Gothics since I finished Elex, but I’d prefer to try something new, especially something with that sweet European flavor. So if Elex’s good points were enough to let me really enjoy most of the game despite some real flaws, I’ll probably end up liking Spiders, too?

What’s Spiders’ best title? I will download immediately.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd say go with Bound by flame, it has a tad more rpg elements than Mars War Logs, and it probably won't annoy you with backtracking and respawning wossfaces.

Heretic

Cipher
Of Orcs and War has the best writing of them all, because Cyanide wrote it and it has Styx.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
So bound by flame or of orcs and men rather than using the oculus I “borrowed” from a friend to hit up technomancer in VR?

Elex

Arbiter
So bound by flame or of orcs and men rather than using the oculus I “borrowed” from a friend to hit up technomancer in VR?
i liked mars wars logs for the setting, then i played bound by flame and the "Meh" was too strong for keep caring about spiders rpg.

it's like a PB rpg second half with less freedom and less exploration (fake open area that are actually corridors).

they litterally use her for cosplay.

301793_w926.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'd say go with Bound by flame, it has a tad more rpg elements than Mars War Logs, and it probably won't annoy you with backtracking and respawning wossfaces.
For me was Technomancer and mars wars. Bound by flame have really good dialogue,well written and it feels realistic. But the game feels unfinished in my book and it is not that big,like 3-4 areas.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
i liked mars wars logs for the setting, then i played bound by flame and the "Meh" was too strong for keep caring about spiders rpg.

it's like a PB rpg second half with less freedom and less exploration (fake open area that are actually corridors).

they litterally use her for cosplay.

301793_w926.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

EDIT: she’s the CEO, so she uses herself for cosplay (she probably enjoys it). Frankly, if I looked like that, I’d be playing dress up all the time, too.

More importantly, all the Spiders games are 75% off for the big steam sale through Monday. Of Orcs and Men is $3, Mars WL is $3.75, Faery: Legends of Avalon (which I’ve never even heard of—although I hope someone has a picture of Spiders’ manic pixie dreamgirl CEO cosplaying as a fairy) is $3, Bound by Flame is $4.99, and Technomancer is only $7.50. So is the whole Spiders catalog worth 17 bucks (= a pack of cigarettes including tax in NYC), or just 10 bucks for their first four games? I think I’ll try Mars WL for next to nothing and buy the rest (maybe not butt-raped by flame), if I like it.

I don’t know why I thought Technomancer was VR capable—think I confused it with Chronos from Gunfire Games, the guys who did Darksiders, because they came out around the same time and my gf aggressively did not want to play either one. Wah-wah.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lol i even didn't know that Faery: Legends of Avalon is their game. I really enjoyed that one to,it is a bit depressive thou. It is a turn based party jrpgish style. I had real fun playing it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Lol i even didn't know that Faery: Legends of Avalon is their game. I really enjoyed that one to,it is a bit depressive thou. It is a turn based party jrpgish style. I had real fun playing it.

Depressive is good! Frankly (see what I did there?), the French should be able to make games that evoke a powerful sense of despair. I’d love to play an RPG where the protagonist is not a normal hero or an antihero, but a Camus style existential hero. But I can’t think of any RPG that handles philosophy well other than PS:T, and it doesn’t sound like Spiders works a lot of existentialism into their games.

EDIT: obviously the original Fallouts do a great job of embodying absurdism, but they don’t beat you over the head with it.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played two games by Spiders until the end - Mars War Logs and Bound by Flame and tried Of Orcs and Men, before I had to put my playthrough on hold for real life reasons.

Despite low budget I really liked War Logs. It was like a good, cheap and aware of its faults B movie. Made me remember Total Recall and it was a good memory.

Until certain moment Bound by Flame seemed like a higher budget production, unfortunately, the final areas (Blackfrost Palace) and the fact you keep hearing about seven Ice Lords but only fight one showed me that they propably did not manage limited funds and high ambitions well. The writing was good, the idea of the inner conflict between humanity and the demon fresh and nicely presented. The game was far too easy, except for the final battle where Spiders decided that now they are fromSoftware and they'll give us a Dark Souls boss fight. Pretty steep learning curve, guys. Anyway, I had fun. Maybe one day I will replay it as pure human (I went full demon).

Orcs and Men had good writing, great character in Styx and way to linear levels. But the premise was worthy of attention.

So, I have some degree of optimism for Greedfall. It is obvious Spiders know how to make games, they just need to be aware of their strenghts (art design, writing) andlimitations (budget). I hope they manage to make a good game.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
If any newcomer to Spiders' games starts playing any of them recently, please post some impressions here. I've always been very tempted (mainly by Of Orcs and Men, Mars War Logs, and Cybermancy) but have always been held back by the valid sounding complaints about gameplay.

I'm not concerned about price as they are all very cheap right now, but rather adding more games to my backlog that may never get played.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If any newcomer to Spiders' games starts playing any of them recently, please post some impressions here. I've always been very tempted (mainly by Of Orcs and Men, Mars War Logs, and Cybermancy) but have always been held back by the valid sounding complaints about gameplay.

I'm not concerned about price as they are all very cheap right now, but rather adding more games to my backlog that may never get played.
Just download them and try them out,and if you like them buy them.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Jesus fuck—this is why you shouldn’t do drugs, kiddos. I wake up at 5:30 pm to find i’ve purchased every game Spiders has ever made (I just bought Divinity 2 for a few bucks the other day, my backlog is now out of control) and also posted some intriguing thoughts on time travel. I remember none of this and my nose is drippy. Better than waking up next to a crusty hooker, but still less than ideal.

I will post my Spiders impressions as I play; in the form of a love letter to Jehanne Rouseau.

Jinn

Arcane
Jesus fuck—this is why you shouldn’t do drugs, kiddos. I wake up at 5:30 pm to find i’ve purchased every game Spiders has ever made (I just bought Divinity 2 for a few bucks the other day, my backlog is now out of control) and also posted some intriguing thoughts on time travel. I remember none of this and my nose is drippy. Better than waking up next to a crusty hooker, but still less than ideal.

I will post my Spiders impressions as I play; in the form of a love letter to Jehanne Rouseau.

Damn, dude. What kind of drugs are you doing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom