Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus fuck—this is why you shouldn’t do drugs, kiddos. I wake up at 5:30 pm to find i’ve purchased every game Spiders has ever made (I just bought Divinity 2 for a few bucks the other day, my backlog is now out of control) and also posted some intriguing thoughts on time travel. I remember none of this and my nose is drippy. Better than waking up next to a crusty hooker, but still less than ideal.

I will post my Spiders impressions as I play; in the form of a love letter to Jehanne Rouseau.

Damn, dude. What kind of drugs are you doing?

Without admitting to any felonies, it was kind of a mix and match buffet situation because my degenerate friends from college were in town and we become fiends when we get together. Better living through chemistry! I just wish my phone and my computer had some kind of sobriety detector that would lock me out when I’ve got too many substances in my system.

Mars: War Logs seems ok so far, so I have fewer regrets. Composing my let’s play/love letter to Jehanne as I go.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Jesus fuck—this is why you shouldn’t do drugs, kiddos. I wake up at 5:30 pm to find i’ve purchased every game Spiders has ever made (I just bought Divinity 2 for a few bucks the other day, my backlog is now out of control) and also posted some intriguing thoughts on time travel. I remember none of this and my nose is drippy. Better than waking up next to a crusty hooker, but still less than ideal.

I will post my Spiders impressions as I play; in the form of a love letter to Jehanne Rouseau.

Damn, dude. What kind of drugs are you doing?

Without admitting to any felonies, it was kind of a mix and match buffet situation because my degenerate friends from college were in town and we become fiends when we get together. Better living through chemistry! I just wish my phone and my computer had some kind of sobriety detector that would lock me out when I’ve got too many substances in my system.

Mars: War Logs seems ok so far, so I have fewer regrets. Composing my let’s play/love letter to Jehanne as I go.
I wish my drug experiences had such a positive effect on my life. Most of the times i just end up in mysterious land around the city i live in.

Elex

Arbiter
better not reveal this stuff: we should not give Todd Howard the idea or he will start put drugs on people drink, and when they wake up they discover 5 different skyrim version on their steam account.

Heretic

Cipher
If you liked Bound by Flame, give Demonicon (not by Spiders) a try. I enjoyed it more.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I am fine with motion blur in RPGs and slower games but Spiders has allowed disabling motion blur on PC in previous titles.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/02/14/greedfall-preview-make-peace-war-ps4

GreedFall Preview – Make Peace or War? (PS4)
February 14, 2018Written by Paulmichael Contreras

greedfall-art-landscape-555x328.png

While Paris was slowly thawing from the most snowfall it had seen in some 30 years, Focus Home Interactive was busy showing PlayStation LifeStyle and other selected media guests their latest upcoming video games. Developer Spiders Games was on-hand to show us their upcoming fantasy action RPG, GreedFall. It’s certainly a title players should keep an eye on.

A Different Time
GreedFall features a setting inspired by Baroque art from 17th century Europe. Settlers have descended upon a mystical island. One that’s protected by numerous species from nimble hominid-like species to massive guardian beasts. The meeting of vastly different cultures results in high tensions, something shown quickly in just a few cinematics. It’s immediately obvious that the world of GreedFall is a colorful one, as we were presented with a lush forest, with bright green hues and iridescent foliage set as the backdrop to violent war. Always nice to see a vibrant palette.

Spiders Games made it clear that they are giving players many choices throughout the adventure in GreedFall. This means that decisions will impact the storyline, also resulting in different endings. As a settler, the player can choose to attempt to conquer the mystical natives, help them keep their sovereignty, or something entirely different.

greedfall-action-shot-555x328.png

You Are Not Alone
Taking over or helping the world takes more than just one person, so GreedFall features squad-inspired gameplay. Five companions can join the player on any given adventure. Their loadouts can be changed manually, as well. It wasn’t immediately obvious just how autonomous these companions are during battle, but they did seem to hold their own during the demo that was shown.

Fundamentally, the combat shown resembled a typical brawler, though the dual-wielding of traditional weapons and magical abilities are likely to ensure variety. Animations were a bit stiff, but the game is still in active development. Multiple enemies could be taken on by flicking the right analog stick to target them one at a time. So causing one enemy to stumble back, to give the player room to attack another, is in the realm of possible tactics to use when on the battlefield.

A short, special move also slowed down time for a moment. This was done for the sake of slowing the action if it gets too overwhelming, since combat is designed to be challenging. Attacks will vary in range and damage, though no onscreen damage indicators could be seen in the build shown.

Craft What You Need
While it wasn’t shown, there is a crafting system in GreedFall. It’s likely resource-based, and will allow the player to craft things they might need to heal, buff, or to solve other traditional RPG needs. There are also over 100 skills to choose from, varying from science, to exploration, and social skills.

GreedFall looks ambitious, and different enough that it should find an audience whenever it does launch (a release date is not currently set at the time of this writing). Multiple factions to be concerned with should hopefully translate into a nuanced experience, all taking place in a world that thankfully has a wide palette featuring colors other than brown and gray. With any luck, GreedFall will launch later in 2018.

I guess this means: 2019 confirmed.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Weird: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/ga...RPG-that-feels-like-Dragon-Age-meets-Hamilton

Greedfall preview - Ever wanted an RPG that feels like Dragon Age meets Hamilton?
SPIDERS' newest game takes a different approach to the fantasy RPG - but can it contend with other genre giants?

Greedfall is a unique game - the newest RPG from Spiders (the developer behind The Technomancer, Bound by Flame and more), the title takes on the fantasy RPG genre... but in a very different way.

Set in the 17th Century, the title sees the main character inhabit an island paradise that's been occupied by colonial forces from several distinct nations from fictional lands.

Everything seems to have this colonial flavour to it, and the way the world is built and put together, you'd be mistaken in thinking this was a Dragon Age game set in a young America - like Bioware does Hamilton (minus that Lin-Manuel Miranda charm, though).

Similarly to a Bioware RPG, the game is split into different facets: character interaction, exploration and combat.

In our hands-off preview, we saw some cutscenes that were pretty well-acted and did a good job of establishing the world, but had a slightly unpolished edge to them that could take you out of the game pretty easily.

The first cutscene we saw had your main character approach his cousin - a leader of one of the settled towns on the island - and introduce a native islander to him, choosing to be kind to the local 'princess'.

Our cousin sent us out on a task to parley with the natives, to support them in defending their land against aggressors from another colony somewhere in the world.

The characters themselves seem rounded and interesting, and the lore that underlines the world is intriguing - an important part of an RPG. Coming away from our brief session with the game, we certainly wanted to learn more about the island paradise and its strange inhabitants.

But unfortunately the combat seemed pretty ropey: there isn't a lot of information on-screen, which is nice, but the animations fixing all the combat moves together were stiff and jagged, making battles seems arrhythmic and stilted.

Seeing your magical native ally pull of magic based on nature was cool, but when a vine comes out of the ground at 20 frames per second and judders as it whips someone across the head, you can only be so wowed.

We know this is very early code, so we can forgive some of the jank, but Spiders previous offerings aren't exactly known for how smooth they run, so we're understandably cautious about getting too excited about the action-based gameplay here.

We're promised the ability to use your pistol, sword and your own flavour of magic to combat some of the island's bigger enemies too - these guardians are hulking beasts like the ones seen in the trailer, and we imagine taking them down in the lush environments on show would be pretty satisfying... if the performance kept up in-game.

Apparently, the whole RPG element of the game will come down to one massive skill tree that you can choose to upgrade and improve as you play.

That means, unlike most RPGs, there is no sort of class system here - everything is incremental, and you build the character you want to play as over time. That could either end up being a really interesting, refreshing take on the action-RPG system... or it could simply end up being a drab slog of an affair - we'll have to wait and see.

Spiders also told us that you'll have the option to pick either a male or female character in the game - the choice won't affect too much of what you play, but it will limit the romance choices you have once you get a bit further into the title.

That's right - there's romance in the game, too.

So to all intents and purposes, this does feel very much like a Bioware game developed on a tighter budget. But with the uncertain fate of Dragon Age and the letdown that was Andromeda, maybe it is time to look elsewhere for our character-driven, action-based RPGs.

Spiders games aren't bad - they may lack polish, but they're not bad. And what we've seen of Greedfall so far is a promising set of ideas, all brought to life in an intriguing and unique world.

The colonial flavour of the game is the most interesting setting for a fantasy title we've seen showcased so far this year, and the Baroque art from the 17th Century the game is modelled on provides endless potential for a fantastical adventure.

More than anything, the game reminded us of Hamilton mashed with Dragon Age - if that's a game you've always wanted to play, you should really keep your eye on this one.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Just curious, but is Olivier Deriviere doing the OST to this game? I really liked the OST to The Technomancer and Bound by Flame. I lurked around a bit and I couldn't find anything on his site, but he is doing the OST to Vampyr which I expect to be a much shittier game than Greedfall, unfortunate.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Team Members' Portraits: Wilfried Mallet, Technical Director
http://spiders-games.com/news/team-members-portraits-wilfried-mallet-technical-director

157.jpg

Wilfried Mallet, Technical Director at Spiders.

What was your career like before you started working in your current position at Spiders?

I began the way you might expect with an IT Engineering Degree, and even if I have always been a passionate fan of video games, I hadn’t even dreamed it would be a possible career path. I did apply to Ubisoft once out of university, just to try and see. I ended up working there a few years, and discovered a fascinating craft.

I then went on to join Monte Cristo, to experience life in a much smaller studio. It was all hustle and bustle, but I learned tons, and worked on a number of different projects.

And right after that the opportunity to create Spiders came along – a call to adventure. With part of the team working on the last game I developed there (Silverfall), we decided to build our own studio to develop our favorite type of games: RPGs.

What motivates you for this job?

What I’ve always enjoyed about this job is the constant evolution. It keeps me going every day. The hardware improves with every console generation, the tools offer more and more possibilities, and the list goes on… It’s a sector where you can never ever sit on your laurels. You have to permanently be on the look out for new tech solutions, pushing the engines to their limits. It is fascinating and absorbing.

157-01.jpg

Do you have any anecdotes from your time spent developing video games?

A few years back we noticed a bug in our animation system when a character wasn’t animated. The effect was incredibly violent, the head or the bust started spinning on itself like a diabolical top. It was kind of eerie and we felt bad seeing this poor character tortured like that.

In the end we decided not to correct the bug, and it’s still hiding in the game. We discovered that it was a great way to detect a missing animation in the game. The bug is now working for us!

Your proudest moment?

I can’t think of any one moment in particular but more the body of work crafted at Spiders and on our engine, the Silk Engine. We were able to put together a truly talented team of programmers to soup it up part by part over the course of developing our projects, and it’s impressive. To tell the truth, I’m still surprised every day by the possibilities we have now compared to our extremely modest beginnings with “Faery: Legends of Avalon”. We’ve come a long way.

Can you tell us something you personally felt about GreedFall?

I think what I like most about Greedfall is that after so many years spent wandering the oppressive and covered cities of Mars: War Logs and The Technomancer, we can finally take a breath of fresh air!

That is in fact one of our most important technical challenges on this project: the change of scale and environment compared to our last projects. We are ambitious, with vast zones and a full open sky. This meant we had to make profound changes in the engine and beef up our tools, and the artists took advantage of them every day when they built the environment of the isle in GreedFall.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I think almost every Spiders game has been an improvement over their older games one after another. They really nailed the combat in The Technomancer and the story and quests were fine. Only real issue for me was the backtracking, but I had a lot of fun with the game. I'm hopeful for Greedfall, from what little has been seen it will be fully open world instead of split with loading screens like the older games.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think almost every Spiders game has been an improvement over their older games one after another. They really nailed the combat in The Technomancer and the story and quests were fine. Only real issue for me was the backtracking, but I had a lot of fun with the game. I'm hopeful for Greedfall, from what little has been seen it will be fully open world instead of split with loading screens like the older games.
Well, I wouldn't say that they "nailed the combat" in Technomancer, but I do agree about the "improvement over last games".

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
no no NO NO NO! GREEED GOES OVER IN THE BLACK GEYSER THREAD

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom