Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Well, I wouldn't say that they "nailed the combat" in Technomancer
The combat felt very fun, fast and even pretty difficult if you didn't play on normal or below. If the combat feels good, it's nailed for me.

frajaq

Erudite
uhh never played the dev's previous titles but this looks kinda cool?

how was the combat in the previous games?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I have played The Technomancer and Bound by Flame. Bound by Flame had the issue of damage sponge enemies but The Technomancer came right after it and I think the combat in the game is really great. Very smooth and fun, didn't have any complaints.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

Not the worst games to play out there but their pushing it, the main problem with their games is that they always try to reach for the stars on an ice cream budget and everything ends being painfully subpar, they just need to stop being so over ambitious and focus on one thing at a time.

RepHope

Savant

Not the worst games to play out there but their pushing it, the main problem with their games is that they always try to reach for the stars on an ice cream budget and everything ends being painfully subpar, they just need to stop being so over ambitious and focus on one thing at a time.
It’s clear they want to make the same jump CDPR did to the AAA table, but they don’t want to make Witcher 2 before making Witcher 3 if that analogy makes any sense. Their Reach keeps exceeding their grasp.

frajaq

Erudite
That's kinda admirable I guess?

I wish them the best of luck, since this setting looks right up my alley

Heretic

Cipher
Mark my words:

- Shitty corridor level design
- Tedious backtracking with respawning mobs
- Long animations for looting
- Black and white morality system
- Amazing loot, how about +1% critical chance?
- 3 levels of each skill, with 2 levels attainable through magical clothing in two hours of playing

Par for the course for Spiders.

vota DC

Augur
Strange. They promised you solve quest with combat, diplomacy, deception or stealth but is an ACTION rpg.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Strange. They promised you solve quest with combat, diplomacy, deception or stealth but is an ACTION rpg.
You can have both you know. And IMO they pulled off giving you multiple options to solve quests in The Technomancer really well.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy

You could do that in Technomancer too, most of the quests had multiple ways to solve them but that didn't made them good, the writing was excruciating and the shitty VA didn't help either.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
News from my true love Jehanne Rousseau on IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/23/the-technomancer-and-the-rise-of-b-grade-games

Here is sweet Jehanne:

“There was a lot of love in Technomancer, but of course our game came also with some flaws. As you’ve already said, the Technomancer’s universe and story were mostly appreciated, but a lot of players complained about the combat difficulty,” Jehanne says. “It’s true that the combat was very demanding, and because we used a percentage system, it could feel a little unpredictable.

"For GreedFall we decided to create a story mode, where combat will be easier, and we removed the percentage system for a gauge system instead. Critical actions can now be used as soon as the gauge is filled up, and can be applied to any type of combat action. It can be used to transform a simple healing spell into a powerful group spell for example, or of course to give the deathblow to an enemy. These changes in the combat make it more tactical, and we hope it will improve our players’ experience.

"We also decided to greatly improve the size of the game areas to give more importance to the exploration. As a teleportation system was painfully missing in Technomancer, we have added some fire camps that need to be unlocked in the various environments of the game. I could also talk about the fact that the players couldn’t choose the sex of their main character in Technomancer, and probably a lot more decisions in the design of GreedFall that inherits from the feedback of our previous games.”

“We want this project to be better than our previous ones in all aspects, as always,” Jehanne says. “We have more financial means than before, and we’ve learned a lot from our previous experiences. We have improved our engine, we’ve made some strong artistic choices to evoke Flemish paintings, we’ve create a new fantasy world, consistent and with very intriguing lore, we even created a new language! We wrote a story even more influenced by the players’ choices and made a lot of gameplay improvement as we already talked about, but I’m afraid I can’t give you a precise answer about where GreedFall will succeed compared to Technomancer. We’re really trying to improve everything, to have a more polished experience, and to offer, once again, a journey into a completely new and original setting.”

Flemish conspiracy confirmed.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think she's sleeping with the guy from Focus Home Interactive and that, along with generous EU subsidies, is how Spiders continues to get funding.

When he says, "as such, we'll often find original and singular things in smaller productions,” he's talking about singularly waifish female developers.

And they don't communicate, just like a real couple:
“She loves writing, and I'd love that she scales down a bit on the word count in her games as it has a big impact on the final budget and adaptation costs, but I don't tell her,” Cédric laughs. “This is actually why there will be even more dialogues in GreedFall.”

I don't know why she's chosen to cosplay as a WWI soldier, but it works for me.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Dunno how much faith I will put into games journos but I did like what Spiders did with The Technomancer and the quests in that game. The quest content was quite good although the loading screens were really annoying and there was a ton of backtracking. I hope Greedfall will be more densely packed with content and will prove Spiders as a competent action RPG developer.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Yet another game that gets pushed off to 2019, but don't worry guys I bought the gtx1080 just so I can look at it, no need for games or anything, just looking at it is fine.

Loostreaks

Learned
Spiders have been improving, not big steps, but enough from one game to the next. They've got a pretty good tech ( for Indie studio), but lack Identity as developer ( even mix of Bioware/CDPR) and unique IP where they can gain more wider recognition.
Tbh, I prefer them to Piranha Bytes at this point.

Big Wrangle

I still think they peaked at Of Orcs and Men. Then again, that was developed with the help of Cyanide. And yeah, they still need tostand out mechanically, so far they create good settings and the rest is hit or miss.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I got a retarded Risen 2 vibe from the trailer.

Edit: Doesn't mean I did not like the trailer. It looks good ... but these guys did not release a good game in quite a while.

Modron

Arcane
Of orcs and men was pretty disappointing actually extremely linear, very limited character development, quests, and loot plus they didn't even have stats. Granted I haven't played Mars War Logs yet but of everything else they have developed I would say Bound by Flame had the best combat, quests, choice and consequences and character development. The Technomancer had decent character development to but the combat there didn't seem half as well done and the ad nauseum back tracking was just too much.

I keep getting their games half off though in the hopes that they improve but so far for me Bound by Flame is their high water mark. Granted their might be some weirdos out there who like their pseudo jrpg Faery or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom