Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grey Goo - Now wobbling on your Hard Drive

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Actually I have heard that the online player base is region locked. And your region is determined by your Steam download server (you can change that via settings). If that is true, it is utterly stupid.
To track these players and match them together the game uses Steam Matchmaking, this is part of Steamworks put out by Valve and integrated directly into Steam. By default this system will attempt to place people who live within a few hundred miles of each other together in a match. The reason being that closer geographical proximity usually will mean there's less chance of latency and therefore everyone has a better and richer experience.

They are not wrong.

However, sometimes this system can work to the disadvantage of players who are outside the US or do not have a large player base in their region. Australia is a good example in this case apparently since some users there are reporting a 80 minute long queue. This is because there's simply no one else in the region playing.
https://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/forum/topic/1550/

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, that is ridiculously stupid.
For that reason, games like AoE 3 have a display of latency in the game lobby.
So if a player joins a game who has a bad connection, he will get kicked before the game even starts. Problem solved.
Or let the host set a minimal ping and everyone below will get kicked automatically. The possibilities of solving this in an intelligent way are endless.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So everybody seems to agree on the fact that this game is lame ?
No.
I would give it a solid 70-75%. If they bring in some more balance (in the campaign as well as MP) and stop that region locked multiplayer nonsense, you could add ~5%.
Seriously, buy it when the price drops.

This game will never be great, but I think it is good and can see friends playing it online also enjoying it.
But after all, the game is too shallow for higher regions.
Not close to SC2 race diversity - it only appears as if it was on first sight, but actually only the base building is more diverse, all units are very similar between races-, lack of interesting MP maps, not really good AI (AI actually is fine on normal/hard for average players, but an "even harder" mode is missing) and it also lacks strategic possibilities.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
You mean the "Goo" faction, right?
In my (limited, as it is just so hard to find people online without waiting half an hour) experience, Goo is not totally overpowered. I wouldn't even say it is OP at all.
But this game is really new and did not receive a single patch yet (afaik).

The only true OP thing I witnessed is the Human teleporter. Correctly used, that building can wreak more havoc than any epic unit, for a fraction of the resources. And is harder to destroy as it is bunked deep within the Human base.

None of the issues are beyond fixing, though. What levels of improvements and balancing are reached from now is in the devs' hands.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Goo is easly rendered useless if you harass mother goos on catalysts good enough. You dont have to kill it, just damage enough to prevent it getting stronger.

Keshik

Arcane
I like how the game handles elevation and overgrowth, that was handy in the campaign so far - still in the Beta campaign (nice Aussie accents, by the way).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Nice TD game,they should had put more money and effort on the cutscenes.
The cutscenes are kinda hilarious in how half-assed most of them are. They're just people standing around and talking, barely moving at all. It feels like they decided "must have prerendered cutscene before and after every mission", then realized that would be very expensive, so they ensured they'd have to animate as little as possible.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
WHAT

THERE ARE NO LIVE ACTION BRIEFINGS?! :x
WETA and live action?

wetatop.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Granted I was never much of an RTS fan but the price is too high for the content. Not really into multiplayer, either. Which doesn't seem like it matters since apparently there's only about 400ish people playing. It seems to have a lot of polish but... 80% off or bust. Price point should have been set at $30. I'm guessing they barely sold 5,000 or so copies, if that.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Granted I was never much of an RTS fan but the price is too high for the content. Not really into multiplayer, either. Which doesn't seem like it matters since apparently there's only about 400ish people playing. It seems to have a lot of polish but... 80% off or bust. Price point should have been set at $30. I'm guessing they barely sold 5,000 or so copies, if that.

Sad but true. Only thing made me buy this was steam Turkey price, it was near $30 with pre order sale.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
You really are :decline: incarnate Metro

I'm still waiting for the sequel that will never come :negative:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This game is decline. It adds very little to similar games of a decade ago and is grossly overpriced given that fact.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well it id 60% off now so overpriced part does not apply anymore :D
But that is just a daily sale so hurry up whoever wants it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom