Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grey Goo - Now wobbling on your Hard Drive

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There is better tower defense games out there,save your 18 euro

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is no longer tower defense. They nerfed both walls and turrets some time ago.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It is no longer tower defense. They nerfed both walls and turrets some time ago.
I never played for long, but you could easily just ride by and ignore towers when the game came out.
Fly over them as Orcs (ehrm, I mean...), teleport inside (humans), just walk over them because who gives (goo).

If at all, towers/walls were too weak.

They were good enough to keep very small parties at bay, but who uses small parties in these games, except at the beginning?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
lol I was talking about gameplay,not actual towers,more accurate that SpartanvsZombies game ,just queue units and send them towards the enemy mindlessly...and slowly...that game is so fuckin slow

ArchAngel

Arcane
lol I was talking about gameplay,not actual towers,more accurate that SpartanvsZombies game ,just queue units and send them towards the enemy mindlessly...and slowly...that game is so fuckin slow
That is not true. All factions have easy to access AoE units and if you don't micro they eat all your units.
I never played for long, but you could easily just ride by and ignore towers when the game came out.
Fly over them as Orcs (ehrm, I mean...), teleport inside (humans), just walk over them because who gives (goo).

If at all, towers/walls were too weak.

They were good enough to keep very small parties at bay, but who uses small parties in these games, except at the beginning?
"orcs" (beta) don't have any flying transports. THey have air offensive units but humans do as well.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the game is slower than other RTS games.
But it's better that way. Better than games like SCII, where all comes down to who is faster with their hotkey smashing, with very little regard to strategy more than "Oh, I need to build AA now".

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also that version comes with everything released so far and costs only 30$. It is worth the buy now.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oooh now that's nice
Good thing I held off buying it

i played Grey Goo during the Free Weekend, and I quite enjoying it. I liked how the resource gathering and building system worked; not too tedious like in the Blizzard games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oooh now that's nice
Good thing I held off buying it

i played Grey Goo during the Free Weekend, and I quite enjoying it. I liked how the resource gathering and building system worked; not too tedious like in the Blizzard games.
Well new faction is basically Protoss :D

They build stuff by paying whole price up front like in sc2 and they got void rays, melee units and plasma blasters. And their buildings are self standing with no attachments needed and even got kind of pylons that instead of providing power boost the production capabilities of buildings around them.
Also they have some zerg design as well with flying banelings and a unit that morphs into enemy units it encounters. Also some cool stuff like a shuttle that picks up your units and then drops them by throwing them at enemy forces doing damage and those units just continue fighting like normal :)

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oh they can't be that much like the Pro-ohhh

2016-01-18_00013.jpg

Eh, I'm fine with it. As long as I don't have to baby sit workers and actually play the game, I'm happy.
The color scheme reminds me of bit of the Shaltari, tbh...who are also basically the Protoss in DzC :P
The fact they can change on the fly sounds interesting

And here I was thinking that the Silent Ones referred to the Goo.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Unless this new version has some game breaking bugs, for 30$ it is a steal for fans of RTS games.
This new GG has very little in common with the broken mess they released 1 year ago.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I begin to suspect I should have added the :smug:

Seriously, though, some people can't accept that not every RTS game (thankfully) is this super fast clickfest like SC2.
Some people really prefer the somewhat slower approach to things in RTS games.

Johannes

Arcane
I begin to suspect I should have added the :smug:

Seriously, though, some people can't accept that not every RTS game (thankfully) is this super fast clickfest like SC2.
Some people really prefer the somewhat slower approach to things in RTS games.
All the good old RTS's like AoEs, War/Starcrafts, C&Cs, Total Annihilation, etc., are "clickfests".

SC2 is a shit game but not because of excessive clicking. DoW2 otoh is an actual casual RTS-lite which I don't know why you listed as a clickfest example.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't say that the AoEs are clickfests. Not even the third one, which plays much faster than 1 & 2.
Of course you need to memorize and pull off some hotkeying in all those games. But the rate of that is where the difference lies, IMO.

What I find annoying is when rtS (emphasis on S) get so fast that strategy (more than "aha I need anti-air now") means jackshit and most is just down to reaction and memorization, almost like an FPS.
At least in the multiplayer part. I still play SP of all of them, just for the fun of it.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
It's not about clickfest ,but the lack of stuff to do while you wait for units production and overall slow movement compared to how fast they die.It ends up half of the time you just sit and wait having nothing to do,there is how many techs-4? ,how many buildings-12? ,there is huge lack of variety in every aspect in grey poo.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Well I gotta agree that they do die pretty quickly in comparison to their movement & production speed.

I use the times where there is nothing to do to relax (and it is definitely less than 50% of nothing to do, but nvm). Can only recommend that.
Or maybe just look at the really quite nice graphics. Or say "Yo!" to your team mate.
Then again, I don't give a flying f*ck about competitive gaming in RTS games*, I'm in for the fun.

* And honestly, the draught in great RTS games (I consider Grey Goo good, not great by any means) is mainly due to everyone trying to grab a piece of SC2, of course failing to reach the same audience since you simply cannot beat SC2 at what it does.
If people were just trying to do more interesting RTS games, like WBC, SunAge, Spellforce, Impossible Creatures, etc. Not for the competitive audience but for those who just want some nice RTS to play alone or with friends.
AoE3 did something nice with the card gameplay, I really loved that when it came out.
I also really liked the idea behind AoE Online (but then MS just fucked it up with the pricing and other stupid decisions).
And we do have Spellforce 3 coming up so... we'll see.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Well, I'd settle on calling myself a mediocre RTS player ;)

But we both know that has nothing to do with one's ability to analyze them. Nice try, though.
Might as well claim a man without legs is incapable of analyzing tennis.

Johannes

Arcane
But we both know that has nothing to do with one's ability to analyze them. Nice try, though.
You fail at at least the analysis part - maybe you play well in spite of it, I haven't seen.

AoE is just as much of a clickfest (as in mechanically demanding) as Starcraft. DoW2 that you cited earlier though is very casual and doesn't need very good coordination to handle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom