Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Is there a way to wipe the foodprints after a play session?

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I'm getting lots of great feedback/ideas from people about how to make a few things a bit more friendly. Thanks !

Is there a way to wipe the foodprints after a play session?
Not exactly, but you can configure the eraser tool to remove only the footprints and brush them out manually. Select the Eraser tool from the home menu (or press 'E') and then choose the Tool Opts. panel on the top right:

KTxi9cP.png

I'll make a note to add a Floor > Clean Floor option. I think I can draw a nice mop&bucket icon for that :)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hidden Asbestos

Here's hoping I got the first bug report in for V4.
Ctrl-V/paste (for pasting text) does not work at all on Linux.

Darn, clipboard was a bit of a pain too! Thanks for the report though.

Are you able to copy from within the program and paste or does that not work either? Also for my testing - what are you copying from before you try and paste into GC?

I will take a look!

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hidden Asbestos

Here's hoping I got the first bug report in for V4.
Ctrl-V/paste (for pasting text) does not work at all on Linux.

Darn, clipboard was a bit of a pain too! Thanks for the report though.

Are you able to copy from within the program and paste or does that not work either? Also for my testing - what are you copying from before you try and paste into GC?

I will take a look!

The first thing I tried to copy was my license key.
Copy and paste solely within the program doesn't work either, I also don't see anything show up in my clipboard when I mash Ctrl-C.

On that note, could you add support for cltr-A and ctrl-backspace in the note/label editors?

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
The first thing I tried to copy was my license key.
Copy and paste solely within the program doesn't work either, I also don't see anything show up in my clipboard when I mash Ctrl-C.

I can confirm this is also the case with my copy, although it didn't occur to me at the time that it was a bug.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Upgraded :dance:
Now you just need to add the swamp/bog tile and book/scroll icon I requested about a year ago :smug:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kcfh222ixpxbo3v/Wizardry_6_-_Grid_Cart_v4_-_Map_v02.gct

this is pretty much the whole Wizardry 6 map, not sure if it's really needed as the biggest joy of grid cartographer is doing it yourself, but those who rather not (I assume some of you have might like it), have fun

also a warning, it's terribly spoilerific in places (comments, a few icons), so if you rather want to figure out stuff yourself disable markers or normal icons

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kcfh222ixpxbo3v/Wizardry_6_-_Grid_Cart_v4_-_Map_v02.gct

this is pretty much the whole Wizardry 6 map, not sure if it's really needed as the biggest joy of grid cartographer is doing it yourself, but those who rather not (I assume some of you have might like it), have fun

That's awesome, thanks so much !

also a warning, it's terribly spoilerific in places (comments, a few icons), so if you rather want to figure out stuff yourself disable markers or normal icons

I'm gonna have a think about it - but if I add a fog-of-war system might help keep spoilers to a minimum. The question then is what kind of radius do I use -- perhaps some FOV algorithm like a rogue-like might be worth pursuing. ... here I go, off down another rabbit hole !

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
whatever you do, if it will end up being a kind of automap for old blobbers (sort of), it could be grid cartographers best sales proposition

not a bad place to be

Watser

Arcane
If you are looking for already-made maps from GC I can sent you my maps of Wizardry II-III and MM III+WoX for game-link. They are complete with item icons and notes on everything though.

GhostBadger

I'm having trouble figuring out from both the website or this thread: in the v4 gamer edition is there no way at all to get any image of a map out of it short of a screenshot? Does it print? (I know this sounds stupid but sometimes print to a file is the poor-man's export)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I'm having trouble figuring out from both the website or this thread: in the v4 gamer edition is there no way at all to get any image of a map out of it short of a screenshot? Does it print? (I know this sounds stupid but sometimes print to a file is the poor-man's export)

That's right, image export is only available in the Pro edition. ( There isn't any direct printing support in either edition, I may consider adding it but I'd need to make it work on Windows / Linux / Mac and build all the stuff you'd need to split it into A4 pieces, etc. -- so I leave it up to the user to crop and scale to their requirements )

The full list of gamer / pro features is available at the bottom of this page:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/?aim=buy

(I should make that more obvious at the bottom of the first page I think)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Thanks Watser that's great!

Today I'm working on fixing problems a couple of people have reported where the game link video stream works but the player tracking does not. This is the last of the major bugs from release.

Then I'll be working on minor bugs (e.g. Grauken found a small pit in Wiz 6 that didn't quite track properly, etc.) and hopefully I'll be able to start chipping away at some new features for you all very soon :)

Watser

Arcane
Huge bug with GC 4 btw, you cannot apply a staircase icon ontop of terrane tile! Also it seems the map theme only changes for the specific region and not for the entire file.
Also another thing. The increased colour palette is excellent but I cannot find the same colours I used in GC 3 for consistensy. I am colourblind which makes it even more difficult to recognize the same colours.

Last edited:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Huge bug with GC 4 btw, you cannot apply a staircase icon ontop of terrane tile! Also it seems the map theme only changes for the specific region and not for the entire file.

In v4 stairs *are* terrain. A few people have commented on this though so maybe my idea isn't quite right. I'll consider bringing back a stair marker for people who prefer that style. You could then put stairs on your stairs ...

I still plan to make N/S/E/W facing stairs/ramps at some point for gamedev/3d use - those will require the terrain ones, but it was probably a mistake in hindsight to remove the markers and force that approach on everyone. Sorry!

*** IMPORTANT: In the next version I'll be reverting the bit of code that automatically converts stair and ramp markers to a terrain type. If you have old maps from v3 that you don't want to be converted, please keep a backup and in 4.0.1 they will remain as markers when you load them ***

Watser

Arcane

In v4 stairs *are* terrain. A few people have commented on this though so maybe my idea isn't quite right. I'll consider bringing back a stair marker for people who prefer that style. You could then put stairs on your stairs ...

I still plan to make N/S/E/W facing stairs/ramps at some point for gamedev/3d use - those will require the terrain ones, but it was probably a mistake in hindsight to remove the markers and force that approach on everyone. Sorry!
I use stairs as an indication of an entrance of a dungeon, so it being a terrain icon really messes up my overworld maps.

Watser

Arcane
pretty impressive

I really like the MM3 map, makes me want to replay it
MM3 was a blast to map out, the overworld map is about 25 times more interesting compared to WoX.
The WoX map is just huge, 52 different regions.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
true, the map design was so tight and all that neat stuff you could find, I like WoX, but people forget that IoT was such a gamechanger when it came out

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom