Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Can anyone, please, enlighten me wether the latest version - with the "game link" option - now enables automapping of games like Wizardry 6 or Eye of the Beholder?
Or does one have to tweak the DosBox files in order to activate it?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, the short answer is not yet for those two games. Eventually they will get profiles but each one is a unique proposition. Should also point out that the mapping is more semi-auto like Etryian Odyssey - only the player position is sent over. You could do full auto mapping with those components by loading in a pre drawn map but thats probably not something I can commit to supporting yet - the management would be too much, and theres also the question of where do you draw the line with spoilers.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anyone, please, enlighten me wether the latest version - with the "game link" option - now enables automapping of games like Wizardry 6 or Eye of the Beholder?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, the short answer is not yet for those two games. Eventually they will get profiles but each one is a unique proposition. Should also point out that the mapping is more semi-auto like Etryian Odyssey - only the player position is sent over. You could do full auto mapping with those components by loading in a pre drawn map but thats probably not something I can commit to supporting yet - the management would be too much, and theres also the question of where do you draw the line with spoilers.
Thank you very much for your quick reply. :)
I was wondering if your program allowed something similar to what The All-Seeing Eye does for Eye of the Beholder (mapping the path as you move on). I've never played Etryian Odyssey so I don't know how the mapping mechanic works (I guess it's a huge part of gameplay).
Is it something that you intend to do in the future?

Or do you plan to stick to "player has to draw the map" routine?
Thanks again for your answers.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I like it the way it is now, you still do the map by hand, but its much better than constantly switching between tool und game, feels almost like a gameplay element

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Coming up in v3.0.5 is an improved Eraser.

gc305-eraser.png

Whereas previously it was a bit of a blunt instrument, you can now fine tune what is actually erased using this new panel, which appears while the tool is active.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Here's v3.0.5! Highlights in this update are:

* Rewritten Eraser Tool with new interface panel to fine tune what is affected.
* Split the edge styles into their own brush palette tab.
* Added many new markers and edge styles:

gc305-newicons.png

(torch pair, gate, bed, bones, health/healer, movable block, shop, skull, tavern, trainer)

* On-screen navigation buttons and compass HUD for 3D view.
* Fixed lots of bugs and improved touch screen support.
* Latest game link profiles including preliminary Dragon Wars support.

Download Here

gc305-dwars.gif

PeachPlumage

Cipher
I will probably give the demo a whirl on Pools of Radiance when I feel up to it. Good to see your work being mentioned on the gog forum, Hidden Asbestos. Your program deserves the exposure. :)

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Last edited:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I've extended the Dragon Wars game link profile and added a dozen new maps. If you've already started the game, just download the latest XML to replace the version that shipped with Grid Cartographer v3.0.5 and it should automatically recognise many more areas.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Request:
- Single and Double-sided Arrows for Edge Style drawing.
Will be useful for plotting abstract FF-style maps.

- Does Nudging (in Pro Edition) works for selected tiles/regions as well? If not, is there a cut & paste function that serves a similar function.

Using the free edition.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Request:
- Single and Double-sided Arrows for Edge Style drawing.
Will be useful for plotting abstract FF-style maps.
Hmm, I think it can do this already using the one-way wall and secret wall edge styles. Am I missing something here?

- Does Nudging (in Pro Edition) works for selected tiles/regions as well? If not, is there a cut & paste function that serves a similar function.
Using the free edition.
Yep, In the pro edition you have the move tool for this. Select the area you want to move, activate it from the edit toolbar (or press V) then go crazy with the cursor keys moving up down left or right.

You can also cut and paste.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
It's been a bit longer than usual but here's Grid Cartographer v3.0.7 !

Headline features:
* New markers: "Armor", "Grave", "Pillar", "Signpost", "Statue"
* New terrain: "Mountain", "Track"
* multi-line labels
* lots of fixes and tweaks.

As usual this is a free update for v3.x Pro customers and 'free edition' users. Enjoy!

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
I've started working on v3.0.8 and I'll post intermittent updates in my dev.log thread as work progresses.

I've added the following things so far:

* Add momentum/friction to scrolling so you can fling the map around with less arm exertion
* Hand mouse cursor to show when you're scrolling the map / in hand mode (Windows only right now)
* Drag & Drop support for loading map files and adding custom tiles (Windows only right now)
* More arrow markers for "A then B" turning moves (e.g. Up then Right, or Down then Left, and so on)

Follow along here:
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1346&start=60

Nostaljaded

Savant
Request:
Under 'Options/Interface/Visible Element', good to have a 'Show Rulers' option for visually displaying coordinates in a permanent area, eliminating user the need to hover over the tile for the coords info.
Useful for very large maps and zoomed-in maps when the axes are off the map viewport.
References can be taken from image editors or MS Word.

The 'Show Next to Every Major Tile' under 'Setup/Grid' is kind of inelegant.

Thanks.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Yet another huge update: v3.0.8 is now available! Major changes include:

gc308_wiz6link.gif

• New 'Picker Tool'.
  • New markers ("Altar", "Boots", "Food" and "Weapons") and edge style ('Message Wall').
  • Drag&drop support for loading maps or adding custom tiles.
  • Improved map scrolling.
  • Additional 3D view layouts for reversed horizontal and vertical split.
  • Lots of bug fixes, including Windows tablet support.
  • Wizardry 6 game-link profile (preliminary, still in-development)

DOWNLOAD HERE

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That Wizardry 6 game-link thing is AWESOME!!! Can't brofist you enough.

Is that something you think you could also get to work for FRUA (Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures)?

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
That Wizardry 6 game-link thing is AWESOME!!! Can't brofist you enough.

Is that something you think you could also get to work for FRUA (Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures)?
Thanks, means a lot!

I'll see what I can do as I did pick that up recently from GOG.com. I managed to get Pools of Radiance and a few others from that engine working so I don't see why I couldn't get something from this too. I haven't actually tried FRUA yet though, so I'll get back to you :)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
That would be AWESOME!!! Just let us know. :salute:
So, I want to do a proper job of this but that may take a little more time. Due to the dynamic nature of FRUA it'll require some work to Grid Cartographer to handle things like variable map sizes (and hopefully dynamic region names). I think it'll be worth it though.

I'm also slightly concerned about the hacked versions of FRUA out there, but I'm optimistic this won't affect the game link stuff - if it does then we may need a separate profile, but I'll concern myself with getting the stock GOG.com release working first. It's mostly just a matter of finding time to spend on it.

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Okay, not quite done on FRUA yet but very close! I've got position, rotation and dungeon number working. We're also very fortunate that the developers copy the map name into a single buffer which made supporting that fairly painless too. Regions in GC are named with a numerical prefix plus the name given in the module editor e.g. "D07: CREEPY CAVES". I've also got it correctly responding to map width/height.

The last three things are: Look into stairs and how multiple floors work (are they just jumps to other maps? or is it purely visual and implied vertical motionwithin one map - so overlaps are not possible? or is it full on Wizardry, X floors within one module?) ; hook up what's remaining from the 36 dungeons (data entry work) ; some more testing.

Should have a beta available for wider testing in ? hours. The hundreds of designs out there make testing it all a difficult task for just me, so I hope it goes well but happy to look into specific modules that break it :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom