Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is Stormcaller Pact worth it over Primal Bond? It would seem Pact would be for Primal Strike skill. Or getting Soldier up to Field Command and Squad Tactics would be better than going for lvl 50 shaman?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Is Stormcaller Pact worth it over Primal Bond? It would seem Pact would be for Primal Strike skill. Or getting Soldier up to Field Command and Squad Tactics would be better than going for lvl 50 shaman?
Interesting question, maybe some other skill will be more beneficial, I will test it later.

Sykar

Arcane
Nightblade is very very sick. Love teleporting all over the field, weaving and dodging auto attacks, trapping enemies, throwing knives and using Smash from a relic for triple single target damage which comes from both weapons. Those Blade Spirits really help a lot when you cannot stand long in melee range.
Still unsure wich secondary class to go, Arcanist sounds tempting for more freeze damage and stuff, Soldier for more HP etc.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Uh... How are they going to wrap up the story in the remaining final act? It kinda feels like the story has blank spots all over the place, as it is now.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Sykar:

Soldier, 100%.

Cadence + Military Conditioning + Field Command. Great improvement in survivability and kill speed.

Your character will be an absolute juggernaut. Arcanist is fine if your NB is cold-oriented. If it's a dual wielding machine, Soldier.

And keep the Shadowstrike investment at 1. No more is required for a good melee build.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
He meant that you cant use both at the same time, they have the new "exclusive" property, you can have one or the other on at the same time.

Ah, yes, of course. I was so blinded by the potential of destruction in this build that I forgot to notice that you can't even use both of them on one character.

Sykar

Arcane
Sykar:

Soldier, 100%.

Cadence + Military Conditioning + Field Command. Great improvement in survivability and kill speed.

Your character will be an absolute juggernaut. Arcanist is fine if your NB is cold-oriented. If it's a dual wielding machine, Soldier.

And keep the Shadowstrike investment at 1. No more is required for a good melee build.

I will save Cadence for my Sword&Board Soldier. I use Lethal Gambit for my left click and Shadow Strike for right click ability. Those two are my main attacks together with the Dual Blade passive+mods, especially Execution.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Demolitionist's Fire Strike works with Nightblade passives, if you'd prefer a default attack replacement. Vindictive Flame, Blast Shield, Blackwater Cocktail and Flashbang give some added utility and survivability. And better stat progression for melee than with Arcanist.

ArchAngel

Arcane
He meant that you cant use both at the same time, they have the new "exclusive" property, you can have one or the other on at the same time.
Ok, this is what I came up in GRIMCALC: http://grimcalc.com/build/uiEq7r
Going with more points into Shaman with lvl 50 limit is weaker than putting more points into Soldier and soldier skills I took are stronger point for point
I have two passive AoE skills, each with 25% proc chance and the one that proc on critical. It is fairly safe to say you will do AoE at least once per 2 attacks. You get more base HP this way (and you can pump Physique for more HP or Cunning for more damage and OA)
I put 1 point into Blitz to make closing on enemy easier (and 1 point into Blindsense to make that first strike AoE).

This character will also have more survivability with bonuses to resistance, armor and slow resistance.

What do you think?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Ok, this is what I came up in GRIMCALC: http://grimcalc.com/build/uiEq7r
Going with more points into Shaman with lvl 50 limit is weaker than putting more points into Soldier and soldier skills I took are stronger point for point
I have two passive AoE skills, each with 25% proc chance and the one that proc on critical. It is fairly safe to say you will do AoE at least once per 2 attacks. You get more base HP this way (and you can pump Physique for more HP or Cunning for more damage and OA)
I put 1 point into Blitz to make closing on enemy easier (and 1 point into Blindsense to make that first strike AoE).

This character will also have more survivability with bonuses to resistance, armor and slow resistance.

What do you think?
Seems like a resonable character, and probably stronger than the one I presented as nearly pure Shaman. Its not like its hard in Grim Dawn to make strong characters, as we both ilustrated.
I plan to do the thing you did with soldier skills when the level cap will be increased.

Let me know how this character plays at higher levels, I wouldnt be surprised if he overshadowed my Shaman by a significant margin.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had some performace issues last night. Before this patch I had nearly none and now my game froze 3-4 times (2 of them was just during level up "bloom") and stutted a lot .P.funny considering I have a very powerful and opt.rig.
Though that didn't lowered the fun I had with shaman, 2 handed carnage for everybody!

Sykar

Arcane
Demolitionist's Fire Strike works with Nightblade passives, if you'd prefer a default attack replacement. Vindictive Flame, Blast Shield, Blackwater Cocktail and Flashbang give some added utility and survivability. And better stat progression for melee than with Arcanist.

Depends, if you switch to deal primarily frost and frostburn damage and use the rest as secondary damage types it might be better in terms of progression. It also has 2 very strong defensive mechanicsms in Mirrors and sphere and a strong buff for elemental damage. You could furthermore go Tozans and/or Olexas to supplement your frost damage and gain additional CC as well.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Depends, if you switch to deal primarily frost and frostburn damage and use the rest as secondary damage types it might be better in terms of progression. It also has 2 very strong defensive mechanicsms in Mirrors and sphere and a strong buff for elemental damage. You could furthermore go Tozans and/or Olexas to supplement your frost damage and gain additional CC as well.

Sure, that could work allright. Sounds very gear dependant though, as you're heavily dependant on all of the stats and preferably want a good cold damage/converted to cold damage weapons. And you're very squishy if your oh shit buttons are on cooldown.

Sykar

Arcane
How much +x skills can you get? And are those restricted to specific class or do +x to all exist?

Sure, that could work allright. Sounds very gear dependant though, as you're heavily dependant on all of the stats and preferably want a good cold damage/converted to cold damage weapons. And you're very squishy if your oh shit buttons are on cooldown.

Maiven has no CD anymore. It is a toggle.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Picked this up last night and started a Nightblade with zero meta knowledge. Any caveats or non-spoiler suggestions for Nightblades?

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Seems reasonable. I tend to like Dual Wielding food processor builds in these types of games. I really like technical play as well so any other combos or different characters completely that would be fun in that way?

Zdzisiu

Arcane
How much +x skills can you get? And are those restricted to specific class or do +x to all exist?

Maiven has no CD anymore. It is a toggle.
There is a set of items, the Herald set, that gives +1 to ALL skills, but thats the only way of +All skills I know of.

Renevent

Cipher
There's other +all skill items, for instance:

http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/27-Avarice-of-Androneus

Plus, there is a ton of items that grant +1 to all skills in X mastery, some even covering two masteries. If GD is anything like TQ, legendary items (not yet released) and specific MI's will have +2 and even +3 to all skills.

I believe the developers talked about this earlier on and were saying it was possible to get as much as +10 (or higher) in some areas.

gestalt11

Arbiter
There's other +all skill items, for instance:

http://gracefuldusk.appspot.com/items/27-Avarice-of-Androneus

Plus, there is a ton of items that grant +1 to all skills in X mastery, some even covering two masteries. If GD is anything like TQ, legendary items (not yet released) and specific MI's will have +2 and even +3 to all skills.

I believe the developers talked about this earlier on and were saying it was possible to get as much as +10 (or higher) in some areas.

It is possible to get up to +10 and this is generally what is meant when the dev use the term "ultimate" in reference to skills. The ultimate levels (i.e. ones only achievable via +skill stuff) generally start scaling lower.

There were more +all skills in previous builds but they got rid of some of them.

As far as RPG mechanics most of Titan Quest carries through to GD, both for mastery/skill stuff and item/combat stats. They have tweaked various things so its about an 70-80% overlap but some changes are very significant in their effects such as Defense Rating.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom