Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
That is a little tricky but All Damage is multiplicative and Total Damage is simply +X to each type. So if you look at Maiven's Sphere of protection the -10% to All Damage means you literally do 10% less damage than if you did not have it on. Generally All Damage is fairly rare basically being limited to extreme skills like MSP or on various skill transmuters. Their intent is to not get easily nullified by "normal" damage bonuses. So if you take a transmuter that removes a CD or something you almost always have a penalty on All Damage so that the tradeoff is obvious you will be doing some fraction of what you could be doing in exchange for the change in behavior.

I never noticed any constellations having anything but Total Damage but I may have missed something.

Once upon a time MSP simply used Total Damage, but the additive nature of this made it impossible to balance them right so they switched to this split system during EA.

Errr... What? Either you've not touched the game after B30 or you just like talking out of your ass.

gestalt11

Arbiter
That is a little tricky but All Damage is multiplicative and Total Damage is simply +X to each type. So if you look at Maiven's Sphere of protection the -10% to All Damage means you literally do 10% less damage than if you did not have it on. Generally All Damage is fairly rare basically being limited to extreme skills like MSP or on various skill transmuters. Their intent is to not get easily nullified by "normal" damage bonuses. So if you take a transmuter that removes a CD or something you almost always have a penalty on All Damage so that the tradeoff is obvious you will be doing some fraction of what you could be doing in exchange for the change in behavior.

I never noticed any constellations having anything but Total Damage but I may have missed something.

Once upon a time MSP simply used Total Damage, but the additive nature of this made it impossible to balance them right so they switched to this split system during EA.

Errr... What? Either you've not touched the game after B30 or you just like talking out of your ass.

Hmm I was using grimcalc to get the terms, but just checked in game and MSP uses the term Total and Squad tactics uses All Damage. So I have the terms backwards here. Either way MSP is multiplicative and Squad tactis is additive. As far as talking out my ass ... uh gimme me a break with the dumbass hyperbole dude. Everything I said is correct I just had the names mixed up due to grimcalc.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2

Hmm I was using grimcalc to get the terms, but just checked in game and MSP uses the term Total and Squad tactics uses All Damage. So I have the terms backwards here. Either way MSP is multiplicative and Squad tactis is additive. As far as talking out my ass ... uh gimme me a break with the dumbass hyperbole dude. Everything I said is correct I just had the names mixed up due to grimcalc.

Using the correct terms is kind of important in this case. Grimcalc and the wiki are always behind and faulty, even if they say they've been updated. Here's the actual change in question:

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30753 said:
To help emphasize the function and relative power of each, "%Total Damage" and "Damage Modified by %" have been changed to "%All Damage" and "Total Damage Modified by %" respectively.

Why would I post on the codex if not to freely use dumbass hyperbole? :obviously:

made

Arcane
What about racial damage (+5% to beasts etc.)? Surely that must be multiplicative?

Too many fucking damage types in this game if you ask me. Starting to miss simpler days of Diablo II. Hell, if they updated it with UI improvements of current arpgs and added a shared stash I'd gladly return to playing that game.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Yeah convoluted and unnecessarily complex damage systems (electrocution -and- lightning damage?) is a minor issue or quirk of this game which I otherwise find very solid. While it might be argued the more the better when you factor in that such a small percentage of loot tends to be of actual potential use to your build it means the vast majority of stuff you find goes to the vendor without a second thought (unless you're sharing stuff between characters).

Yep, I'd rather have less but more useful drops. Another thing Diablo II did way better - itemization. Only legendaries in Grim Dawn seem really interesting and they are only high level, most of the greens and blues are really boring. At first I tried storing all of blues in shared stash for my future chars but it got filled up with boring shit really fast so now I'm only keeping blues with good + skills bonuses or life steal. And, if you ask me, too many fucking components too. Too much sorting through items is lowering my enjoyment of this game.
In Diablo II brown "uniques" had a chance to drop at really low levels and usually were fucking awesome.

Last edited:

kryminator

Augur
Thanks for answers, now it's more clear for me but still to many variables to definitely say which option would be better. I was asking about these all/total damage because my Demolitionist has about 50 skill points hamstered and I have no idea what to boost, which class use as secondary and which devotions to choose. I was thinking about Soldier for survival and that class has a lot of passive skills which should be good option for me as more of casual player in terms of ARPG so I could still be kiting and shooting instead of trying to find proper key to cast proper spell.

Anyway, I was planning ultimately achieve something like this:
http://grimcalc.com/build/JvkXRU

And I only almost maxed Fire Strike with modifiers so far, but also do not have much problems on veteran.

Do You see any traps here? Skills or devotions I should take but didnt etc? Will Markovian Adv and Fighting Spirit work with Fire Strike?

Yep Soldier should be a suitable mastery to use with anything thanks to passives. I'm guessing another valid option to mix with demo could be arcanist with maxed flash freeze for crowd control and that huge - fire resist, then there's iskandras elemental exchange toggleable skill that gives energy regen and + elemental dmg. Plus there's that terrific one point wonder skill with 100% dmg absorption and maiven's sphere for more survivability. Both soldier and arcanist have x% chance to activate passive that gives all damage bonus.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah convoluted and unnecessarily complex damage systems (electrocution -and- lightning damage?) is a minor issue or quirk of this game which I otherwise find very solid.
Electrocution/Frostburn/Burn are just the DoT versions of their respective damage types. I fail to see how this is convoluted or complex...

Renevent

Cipher
I'm bummed out...I was trying to install one of those stash apps and ended up wiping out all my stashed legendaries. Basically after installing it found out it wasn't compatible if Steam Cloud Saves are enabled, so disabled it...which still didn't work. So found some user posted directions that I need to copy/replace the stash files and when I logged back in my shared stashed was completely reset and my items I was planning on using on new builds lost. Fucking bummer...

I stalk the night
Patron
When taking resistance types into consideration, the damage types can be divided into three categories. Ones that have a direct damage and a damage over time component, only direct damage and only damage over time.

Direct damage/DoT:

Physical/Internal Trauma
Fire/Burn
Ice/Frostburn
Lightning/Electrocute
Acid/Poison
Vitality/Vitality decay

Only direct damage:
Pierce
Aether
Chaos

Only DoT:
Bleeding
Life/energy leech

I think they could've done some streamlining to atleast have a single core logic with the damage types.

I stalk the night
Patron
Seems this wasn't posted here yet.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36676

Grim Misadventures continues! Modding tools are coming posthaste (by the end of this month for sure). The documentation, which will provide a basic intro to the game’s various tools, is now ready and we are working on a few more final details that need to be resolved before we can hand the tools out to the public. Needless to say though, we are excited to see what the community is going to do with them.

But there are darker things happening within Grim Dawn than the modding tools. As the world of Cairn crumbles, something stirs…

attachment.php

Little is known about the Witch Gods, but that is precisely how the Three prefer to operate, from the shadows, away from prying eyes and the heavy hand of the Empire. The Inquisitors are well-versed in sniffing out followers of the heretical faith, but even they have not been able to completely eradicate what is widely considered a danger to the integrity and well-being of the nation. But that is the rhetoric of the ignorant, of those afraid of what truths may lie within the shadows.

Then there are those who had witnessed the power of the eldritch realm, and the gods that reside within. They are the raving thralls of Dreeg, the power-hungry worshippers of Solael and the scheming followers of Bysmiel. To them, the Empire only seeks to obscure the real truths, to silence them from spreading the message bestowed upon them by the Three.

With the Empire in shambles and the world forever changed by the arrival of the Aetherials, something has stirred within the eldritch realm. And as their hour nears, thousands of believers worshipping in secret await the call when at last the Witch Gods rise from the eldritch weave and reclaim their world.

The Luminari can no longer stop you, the Empire cannot condemn you. And if you seek out the Hidden Path, you too shall lift the veil that blinds you from the darker truths. You too shall learn of the Witch Gods.

The Hidden Path is an upcoming free content update for Grim Dawn, featuring new lore, new bosses and a new dungeon.

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 04/18/2016 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Modding tools coming by the end of the month and they're working a free content update containing new lore, bosses and a dungeon.

Rabbid

Savant
When taking resistance types into consideration, the damage types can be divided into three categories. Ones that have a direct damage and a damage over time component, only direct damage and only damage over time.

Direct damage/DoT:

Physical/Internal Trauma
Fire/Burn
Ice/Frostburn
Lightning/Electrocute
Acid/Poison
Vitality/Vitality decay

Only direct damage:
Pierce
Aether
Chaos

Only DoT:
Bleeding
Life/energy leech

I think they could've done some streamlining to atleast have a single core logic with the damage types.

It's really important to clarify that the word "damage" refers to hp damage exclusively. At first, one may think that pierce is damage to armor, or that vitality is damage to energy etc. Damage equals lowering hp in this game. That's not always the case with other games, especially when there are so many damage types available. Here it's just a way to make resistances and armor less effective.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, so I played this for about 20 hours... and I honestly tried to like this.

But honestly... After hour 12 or so it just started to be extremely boring to me.
The enemies are all recycled stuff, the world looks the same almost everywhere.
Character progression just feels super slow if you distribute somewhat evenly between your classes. I was basically stuck using the exact same 3-4 abilities for the most part of the game. I quit at level 35 (I think) using 5 abilities. That just doesn't suffice.
Maybe the endgame or high-level content would have changed something, or another class would (I played a Soldier/Witch Hunter) but I just cannot be arsed to spend more time in this game, and I don't care about MP at all.
Also, the scope of the game just seems totally minimal to me. The whole world seems to be two villages. Compare that to the feeling of travelling the globe in D2...
Games like these just always suffer from a certain monotony after a while that can be alleviated only by introducing something new, be it enemies or abilities.

The game certainly isn't bad, I'd even say it's one of the best HnS games.
The music, oh wow!
The graphics are really nice as well... at least before you notice everything looks the same. There are some nice minor areas that really spice things up, like that one portal taking you to some kind of fallen demon wasteland (?) or that one cave with the glowing crystals. But those are minor areas. The majority of the game (at least during my time), you run around the countryside in/at/around farms. That's it. Ungh.
I like the idea with the devotion points, it really adds a nice additional (and much needed) layer.
The crafting seems as if it could be interesting, but as in almost any game, I did not use it one but - I simply didn't need it.
The game plays really smooth, even more so than D3 imo.
Big bonus for not requiring that identify scroll nonse, thanks for that.
The difficulty felt good. Died a few times, but not too often and felt somewhat challenged throughout the experience.

But at least for me personally, the crown certainly remains with PoE (no, not the Obsidian one).
While it does some things worse than Grim Dawn, at least it is not as monotonous. I guess I am pretty much a graphics (or at least content) whore when it comes to games like these.

tl;dr: too monotonous.

Last edited:
Well in PoE for the first 40 levels you spam only one ability instead of four.

I just rolled soldier and was planning to go the hedgehog route, but apparently retaliation damage only works on melee enemies... is it by design or ?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You mean 5 active abilities? That's definitely a big umber for a h'n's game, which are often centered around using one or two active skills for optimal builds. And the dual classing is kind of a noob trap, similarly to TQ, it's unlocked very early and it might seem like you should pick it up asap. You really need to know what you're doing with dual classing and it's definitely a good idea to leave it for the end game or even drop it altogether.

Okay, so I played this for about 20 hours... and I honestly tried to like this.

But honestly... After hour 12 or so it just started to be extremely boring to me.
The enemies are all recycled stuff, the world looks the same almost everywhere.
Character progression just feels super slow if you distribute somewhat evenly between your classes. I was basically stuck using the exact same 3-4 abilities for the most part of the game. I quit at level 35 (I think) using 5 abilities. That just doesn't suffice.
Maybe the endgame or high-level content would have changed something, or another class would (I played a Soldier/Witch Hunter) but I just cannot be arsed to spend more time in this game, and I don't care about MP at all.
Also, the scope of the game just seems totally minimal to me. The whole world seems to be two villages. Compare that to the feeling of travelling the globe in D2...
Games like these just always suffer from a certain monotony after a while that can be alleviated only by introducing something new, be it enemies or abilities.

The game certainly isn't bad, I'd even say it's one of the best HnS games.
The music, oh wow!
The graphics are really nice as well... at least before you notice everything looks the same. There are some nice minor areas that really spice things up, like that one portal taking you to some kind of fallen demon wasteland (?) or that one cave with the glowing crystals. But those are minor areas. The majority of the game (at least during my time), you run around the countryside in/at/around farms. That's it. Ungh.
I like the idea with the devotion points, it really adds a nice additional (and much needed) layer.
The crafting seems as if it could be interesting, but as in almost any game, I did not use it one but - I simply didn't need it.
The game plays really smooth, even more so than D3 imo.
Big bonus for not requiring that identify scroll nonse, thanks for that.
The difficulty felt good. Died a few times, but not too often and felt somewhat challenged throughout the experience.

But at least for me personally, the crown certainly remains with PoE (no, not the Obsidian one).
While it does some things worse than Grim Dawn, at least it is not as monotonous. I guess I am pretty much a graphics (or at least content) whore when it comes to games like these.

tl;dr: too monotonous.

I played D2 a whole bunch and it never felt like my toon was "travelling the world."

Grim Dawn reminds me so much of D2, yet the graphics, skill trees, and number of mobs are greatly increased.

I sort of felt the game was turning "monotonous" myself, but it picked up somewhere in the middle of Act II.

The use of Devil's Crossing at the main town/player HQ is fine with me.

I would rather rely on one town and build up reputation with one faction instead of having to deal with a new town at the start of each act.

Even as I play however, I can't help but compare this game to Titan Quest, which was a damn good game.

Both have their strong points; I would say that Titan Quest's physics and voice-acting are superior to Grim Dawn, but other than that, Grim Dawn is the better game by far.

Interestingly enough, I also feel that Titan Quest seemed less "stock" and generic.

This however, is probably due to the fact that all of the games I play are either horror or dark fantasy.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Meh, the mechanics are good but the content is subpar, too much copy paste to my taste, needed some big ass differences on creatures and scenarios on act transitions to keep being engaging. Diablo 2 each act were radically different in location and enemy types. On Grim Dawn, you kill ice zombies, fire zombies, zombie zombies when it isn't fire boars, lightining boars and etc and that isn't enough. To make matters worse, the story is too abstract after act 2, it appears that all interesting stuff happened on the past and you are some kind of janitor cleaning the mess. Enjoy the mechanics but the sub par content make it too boring to waste time to make a high level character. Dunno who is better, if it is PoE or Grim Dawn, both to me while superior mechanicaly wise to Diablo II are too boring on everything else. I have to say I enjoyed Titan Quest more than Grim Dawn as a game, even with the setting of Grim Dawn being far better.

I remember getting to that second village/quest hub (with fields and green shit all over the place) and checking the map to see how far i'v got.. the northernmost location was so far away that I thought I was merely scratching the surface of that playthrough, apparently it was a beginning of a third act or somesuch.

Mods might actually fix it for a change (editor is coming soon i believe).

Gentle Player

Arcane
In my view it was better than Diablo II but worse than Diablo I. Then again, none of the games in this little sub-genre even (to my knowledge) try to ape the original Diablo, which is a terrible shame. I liked the fact that Grim Dawn was a single-player experience first and foremost, none of that nonsense of having to play with cretins online to get the full experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom