Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

DeepOcean

Arcane
So what's the news on this- wasn't it supposed to be done by now? I tried looking at their forums to find the answer a while back, but I couldn't piece it together by what other people are saying.

I love the game, but I'm waiting for Act 3 before I play again.
Basicaly, recently they added the two handed weapons and some rogue like dangeon. Next patch(if it wasn't released already) there will be some skills that transform other skills called skill transmuters and multiplayer functionality. They are still working on the last class and plan the release of Act 3 by the end of this year, beginning of the next year and that will be it, the game will be officialy released.

Nael

Arcane
Sorry, I'm not very good at giving impressions of games. I tend to be more easy to please I think compared to a lot of Codexers but here goes:

I might be biased as I tend to hate games that are both singleplayer/multiplayer. Multiplayer is usually what suffers in these games and Grim Dawn seems to be no different. There are some cool features like being able to preview the other players getups before you join a game. The game itself levels up all creatures to the highest level character. The actual way the game itself plays just doesn't lend itself to multiplayer unless you're a bunch of grinding chinese robots. The challenge drops to almost 0 so basically you are just running around holding down on your left mouse button and maybe pressing some hotkeys if you want to give the appearance of being helpful. It might be fun if you've got a friend or two that you can start from scratch together and play the game on Nightmare but other than that the game is best played on single player unless cyborzing.

All that said the game is a blast in singleplayer. If you enjoyed Titan Quest at all you will probably like Grim Dawn. I think it's actually a much better game than TQ or TQ:IT. Make no mistake though: If you don't like that kind of grindy type Diabloesque just don't bother. It is fairly grindy once you open up the crafting segments of the game but if you like that sort of thing it is well done with lots of variety thrown into the mix to keep things interesting. I also don't get the feeling that anything is so rare as to make it seem hopeless to those who have less than 16 hours a day to play video games but rare enough to make it feel like an accomplishment to craft relics and rare items.

So tl:dr version:

-Multiplayer not fun unless you have friends who want to start from scratch with on harder difficulty settings.
-Singleplayer is fun and worth a shot for anyone that enjoyed the Titans Quest games.
-The game is definitely grindy but well-thought-out for those that enjoy that style of gameplay.

Oh right. The even tler;drer version:

:3/5:/:5/5:

Nael

Arcane
Let me know when they fix the Performance
When i first started playing the EA over a year ago performance was fine then after an update about 8 months ago the performance took a nosedive. After the last update they seem to have fixed the performance issues. Obviously things like performance are subjective so your mileage may vary. It runs great on my laptop though on high settings.

Aothan

Magister
I have a fondness for Titan Quest even now, if they have improved on that format then Grim Dawn will likely prove interesting. And I'm not especially concerned for multiplayer, even in Path of Exile global chat is usually muted up to weeks at a time. Although not having heard of any specific updates of recent chances are this game is still going to be in development for some time.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Although not having heard of any specific updates of recent

then you should follow the development more closely. b20 was released only a week ago, and brought multiplayer and transmuters. anyway, it will still take some time till the final release is being published.

Aothan

Magister
I think, perhaps presumed, my earlier post would have edified intended meaning - that no specific updates have given much in the way of indication of a projected release.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think, perhaps presumed, my earlier post would have edified intended meaning - that no specific updates have given much in the way of indication of a projected release.
Some of their recent updates in their forum posts have indicated that they plan to finish act 3 (i.e. complete the game) around February of next year.

Nael

Arcane
Some of their recent updates in their forum posts have indicated that they plan to finish act 3 (i.e. complete the game) around February of next year.

:negative:

Ivan

Arcane
Fo Sho'. Sadly I won't be home till next week. The steps of torment almost raped my hc nightblade.

Aothan

Magister
that sounds mildly promising, I'm beginning to look forward to playing 'Titan Quest' again

retamar

Educated
Game feels solid, is a nice improvement on the TQ engine, really polished experience despite being in beta.
I always loved the double class system in Titan Quest and playing with guns and rifles just feels cool.
The online is not fine tuned right now but the solo experience is fun and challenging.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom