Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are people serious when saying that skills are GD's biggest flaw? Character development systems in TQ and GD are way better than in any other h'n's I've played, the dual classing possibilities alone leave majority of the competition in the dirt.
And that system is probably the guilty party because you always take two classes and always use similar skills.
Because of it each class tree has few skills but biggest problem is that skills often feel copy pasted but with a slight change.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This interview is quite interesting if you are into reading development history: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-08-19-pressure-drop

I quote a part about the future here:

Development on Grim Dawn proper is coming to an end, and Bruno estimates the game's lifetime earnings have doubled or possibly even tripled the money spent making it. The studio is now working on an expansion for Grim Dawn that will launch early next year (probably), and has started work on a "totally different type of game" to launch after that, both of which will be funded by Grim Dawn.

"Working on this project is like easy mode to some extent. We've already got the funding for it. I know how we're going to release, just not necessarily at what point... I think that we have all the funding we need to complete it and whether we release on Early Access or not is more a question of to what extent we want early feedback on the game."

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Good for them. Seems like Grim Dawn was pretty lucrative if they're able to fund an expansion and a new game with the money to made from it.

RuySan

Augur
Grim dawn for me is the best Diablo clone even thought the skill system is boring and not as interesting as POE. But the combat just feels right, and the level design is the most interesting.

I just hope the next expansion is meaty enough to justify returning to it. This game endgame doesn't have the same pull as POE or even Diablo 3. Decent multiplayer would also help.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Agreed. I can't say it's perfect, but it scratched my ARPG itch nicely. Hope they learn from their mistakes in GD and improve on them in their next game.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Quite good for what it is if you have the time or need it to pass quicker. Interesting design choices taken from fullscalerpgsTM (c&c, reputations (which don't do anything?), option to fight overleveled creatures) and Diablo 1. The setting makes little sense though, it isn't homogeneous like Diablo 1 was. There are many fantasysh elements in it, yet it's also postapoc, and warhammer FB and cthulhuland? You'd think mage in this setting would be someone using old technology or forbidden occult knowledge, but nah, there's your magic-missile slinging mage right near grenade-tossing world war 1 guy.

Music is... something.

Game is only difficult if you spread your SP too thin. Max some skills and you're good. Which is bad, since it really takes time to hoard enough SP to at least make *something* out of your character. No developer learned anything from Diablo 2 LoD synergies?

Still there's something rough and lovable about this game. I like it's spirit more than Path of Exile's for example.

The way character moves on the map is fucked up, like it's terrain which moves and character just plays walk animation - can't get used to it. And levels are probably too big and some skills are not very impressive visually. I wish they'd do something else and look different on higher levels. I play Shaman/Occultist with pets and curses/DoTs though and those never are impressive.

Last edited:

Rabbid

Savant
The way character moves on the map is fucked up, like it's terrain which moves and character just plays walk animation - can't get used to it.

What have you done? I cannot unsee it now. Thankfully I finished it already.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Headlining the current Humble Monthly. $12 for this + whatever shit they add later.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also for 12.49€ on GoG for this week.

Some new items and item revisions/rebalancing coming in the next few weeks and an Aetherial "roguelike" dungeon is in the works to be released a bit later. And they've unveiled images of new monsters to appear in the expansion.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46813

Grim Misadventure #102: The Monster Menagerie Grows

Grim Misadventures is back! Last week, patch v1.0.0.6 entered the testing phase, and it is on track for our late-September/early-October release timeframe. With this update, you will have 28 brand new items to hunt for as you battle across Cairn, or within Lokarr’s devious Crucible. In addition, over 90 Epic set items have been revised to better serve you as you hunt down Grim Dawn’s toughest foes. Beyond 1.0.0.6, we have an Aetherial roguelike in the works for v1.0.0.7 that will introduce new challenges, new items and a veritable ton of new lore to discover. All this is coming to all owners of Grim Dawn for free.

But that’s not all we’ve been working on here at Crate. An entire expansion has been in the works for some time now, and today we are pleased to begin unveiling some of what’s in store for you in Grim Dawn’s first expansion.

Beyond new areas to explore and items to find, new threats will arise for you to tackle. And the Aetherials have not been idle while you dealt with the vile Cult of Ch’thon. Far from where human eyes can see, their flesh shapers have been busily crafting new soldiers for their conquest of Cairn.

Aetherial Imps
The first of these new creations are the foul Aetherial Imps. Do not let their small stature fool you into a false sense of confidence. Their claws are sharp and their bodies full of bile. They move swiftly across the battlefield, unlike many of the slower reanimated Aetherial corpses, and hungrily devour any living thing that isn’t quick enough to evade their reach.

attachment.php

In many ways, they seem unlike the other creations of the Aetherials, not of singular purpose as the shambling corpses, but also not as conspiring as the reanimators and their ilk. How these corruptions came to be is a secret known only to the master flesh shapers.

Ugdenbog Spikeshell
It is said that travel north from Burrwitch is often faster than when traveling south. This phenomenon is largely due to the thorn-filled woods and toxic Ugdenbog that stretches far beyond the northern walls of the village. Carriage drivers whip their horses into a gallop; lone travelers go about with a hand on the hilt of their swords. Veer too far from the road and you may not be seen again as you vanish into the noxious fumes and bubbling waters.

If the sinking mud and pockets of poisonous gases won’t get you, then the wildlife surely will.

attachment.php

The tenacious spikeshells thrive in this environment, and they are known to hunt down human prey when the opportunity arises. Their naturally tough shells make tackling even one a tough battle. Wiping out the entire population would require a concerted effort, and the Grim Dawn saw to making that a logistical impossibility. The spikeshells thrive in this new untamed world.

Nobody goes into Ugdenbog willingly unless they have a death wish, or if they wish to disappear...

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 10/10/2016 for our regular development updates as we return to our classic bi-weekly schedule.

Ent

Savant
Picked up this game from the GoG sale and I'm having a blast. I've gotten to level 33 and I haven't invested a single stat point yet because the permanence of it makes me nervous. Do I just dump it all into my offensive stat? Do I split between 1-1 physique? I fucking hate attribute anxiety.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Picked up this game from the GoG sale and I'm having a blast. I've gotten to level 33 and I haven't invested a single stat point yet because the permanence of it makes me nervous. Do I just dump it all into my offensive stat? Do I split between 1-1 physique? I fucking hate attribute anxiety.

It depends but it's like Diablo 2; Dump stats on STR/DEX for gear requirements, the rest on vit or, if you don't like winning/generally have poor mana pool, energy and like in diablo 2 there are few exceptions.

Back when I played, 3/4 physique then 1 cunning/spirit was the top choice for most builds however blademasters would often go 0 phys / 84 cunn since the stats required for equipment would come from devotions and mastery while their survivability would come from LS, PB, and topped resists.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ent Generally, you want just enough spirit and cunning to equip your best-in-slot legendaries and the rest in physique. So go all physique at least until level 50. 51-85 depends on what gear you want and how much your masteries and devotions help you towards meeting the requirements.

blademasters would often go 0 phys / 84 cunn since the stats required for equipment would come from devotions and mastery while their survivability would come from LS, PB, and topped resists.
Blademaster is a very gear-dependent class. I don't think it's possible to build a trailblazer character with a glasscannon build and get to Ultimate without dying a lot on the way. And then you'll die even more while gearing up.

For easy and comfortable initial farming I would suggest Warder. Defensive Warder is practically unkillable which is p. neat even in softcore. Huge HP pool from Military Conditioning and HotW. Insane health regeneration and constant steady healing from Wendigo Totem. Gear dependency is minimal and flexibility is high. Feeling squishy? Put more points in defensive skills. You can afford it because you don't rely on something like Fire Strike or PRM that requires 40 points to work.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Also depends whether playing on normal or hardcore. On normal you can go for more damage if you want to.

Anyways, new Grim Misadventures is up, introducing a new area for the expansion; Ugdenbog. Meh.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=438547

Grim Misadventure #103: Enter Ugdenbog
Welcome to Grim Misadventures, the premier source of all Grim Dawn development news. Since our last update, the game has seen the addition of new items to hunt for with the release of patch v1.0.0.6. More is still to come as we prepare a new Aetherial Roguelike for you to explore as part of a free content update, which will include a wealth of new lore to discover.

But we are also busily chipping away at our upcoming expansion, a pre-order of which is included in the Grim Dawn Loyalist Edition. Last time, we previewed two new monsters coming with the expansion, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. The expansion is absolutely packed with a massive new chapter of the Grim Dawn story, new items, new mastery combinations and more.

Today we’re going to delve into one of the first places you will explore: Ugdenbog.

You already learned about the resilient Ugdenbog Spikeshells, but it’s not just the wildlife you have to worry about when entering one of the most hostile environments in Cairn, one that was avoided even before the Grim Dawn struck. From the toxic plant life to the treacherous paths across the murky waters, Ugdenbog is an inhospitable living hell.

And yet while nobody sane would even consider entering the area after dark, there is evidence of human activity, though perhaps not the kind you would want to socialize with.

attachment.php

And where there are dark places, so too does darkness thrive. Rumors of insidious worship spread about Ugdenbog long before the Cult of Ch’thon gained a foothold following the arrival of the Aetherials. What foul beliefs thrive in the forsaken bog?

attachment.php

Needless to say, it isn’t wise to stir things up in Ugdenbog, but that is precisely where you will need to go as you continue your tireless battle against the Aetherial and Chthonian forces invading Cairn. What could demand such trials from you? Only Inquisitor Creed knows…

Like knowing what is coming up next for Grim Dawn? Check back on 10/24/2016 for the next Grim Misadventure.

Emmanuel2

Savant
Blademaster is a very gear-dependent class. I don't think it's possible to build a trailblazer character with a glasscannon build and get to Ultimate without dying a lot on the way. And then you'll die even more while gearing up.

I never said that he should do it. I'm merely pointing out that stat distribution plans are more or less the same for most builds (even the best build back in B29 went 75 Phys - 10 Cun or All Phys which was a Phantasmal Blade build) with a few exceptions and, in this case, I gave the Blademaster as an example. That was when before Ultimate and Loghorrean got nerfed and before most skills/stats/items/devotions were buffed where there were only a few builds that could manage a sub-3/5 minute Ultimate Log. And judging by the current forum builds, it's still more or less the same as back in B29.

I agree with the Warder suggestion though, it's still good for newer players.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm more worried that it's yet another swamp. I want some in-door areas which aren't ruins.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Haven't played in a while so it may have changed a bit, but in general I wouldn't spend many or any stat points unless it was necessary to equip an item I wanted. In general though if you want to take your character through ultimate you'll want lots of Physique as more health > all.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
That used to be true, but with enough resists and damage mitigators you can get away with less Phys than was previously the case.

Giant's Blood, Dryad, Turtle Shell are all nice constellations that are fairly easy to incorporate into any Devotion structure. Class-skills can take you much of the rest of the way. If Arcanist, then Maiven's and the MoE are - obviously - a must. The frost nova can get you out of bad situations really easily, and triggers almost instantly, buying you precious seconds to escape.

The Demolitionist flashbang is another lifesaver. Nightblade's have multiple regen options, including the 100% damage reduction one.

Occultists can rely on the Curse of Frailty to slow mobs to a crawl, allowing you to dance your way through deadly situations.

Ultimate can suck shit regardless of HP pool, because spike potential for damage is just so high. No amount of HP is going to save you from taking one of those flaming boulders to the face from an earth golem (whatever it's actually called). The name of the game becomes not getting hit, in the first place (preferably only having to absorb minor ranged damage).

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Ultimate can suck shit regardless of HP pool, because spike potential for damage is just so high. No amount of HP is going to save you from taking one of those flaming boulders to the face from an earth golem (whatever it's actually called). The name of the game becomes not getting hit, in the first place (preferably only having to absorb minor ranged damage).
You should familiarize yourself with the current meta (note that the author of the build plays HC). And here's a less extreme example showing how you can be nigh invincible with a rather conventional build.

Of course, if you're a Witch Hunter with 10k HP @L85, you'll probably have to kite everything to hell. But "no amount" is way off. It's absolutely possible to have a very tanky character that can shrug off almost anything.

Emmanuel2

Savant
The name of the game becomes not getting hit, in the first place

Nonsense, my sword and board commando can take anything except some bullshit the last boss casts. And I don't really have that good gear.

Yeah, proper (even simple) building can take hits, even a good number of casters. The problem back then (much less so now) is that people call something that can survive yet can kill things slower than I can finish a playthrough of Fate: GoD as viable.

I fondly remember when Ultimate Log/Fabius can down an 85% res-all 20k+ HP SnB blademaster/warmage in 2-3 seconds and that people were crying left and right for Crate to rebalance mechanics, good times.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Gentlemen, I was hoping it was obvious that I was making reference to masteries not specifically designed to take hits by mentioning Demolitionists, Arcanists, Occultists and Nightblades.

Yes, I know tanky characters are possible. Any combination that includes Soldier or Shaman is going to be fine with taking hits.

But putting 85 points into Phys as an Arcanist/Occultist is totally unnecessary. The extra HP won't increase your survivability enough at Ultimate.

I stalk the night
Patron
Gentlemen, I was hoping it was obvious that I was making reference to masteries not specifically designed to take hits by mentioning Demolitionists, Arcanists, Occultists and Nightblades.

Yes, I know tanky characters are possible. Any combination that includes Soldier or Shaman is going to be fine with taking hits.

But putting 85 points into Phys as an Arcanist/Occultist is totally unnecessary. The extra HP won't increase your survivability enough at Ultimate.

Bullshit, utter and complete bullshit. The extra FLAT HP and DA(you know, which Phys also gives, the thing that makes you avoid hits and crits) from phys are especially necessary on those combinations, due to them getting so little from the masteries, not to mention the ability to wear heavier armor. There's a reason why pretty much every good Hardcore build has 70+ phys in them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom