Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Blappole

Novice
Who really cares though, as long as I'm having a good ol time I don't mind how simple a game is.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think the gameplay is really amazing. I only play one which is very fast paced (not League of Legends). There are only 4 skills/spells on each hero, but you also have usually 3 or 4 others that you use from the inventory. But there are also 120+ heroes, and you have synergy between them on your team and you have really master all of them to master the game. So when you see a pyro using his area stun, you better be ready and instantly use whatever your ability is, right on the spot the pyro used his stun. It takes a lot of skill to be good at that game and there is a lot of depth to it.

There is more to it than just the number of buttons. But games like GD, PoE, Diablo, etc. There isn't more to it. There are 2 buttons, they make sploshions, that's about it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Never play a game that demands for you to play it three times before finishing your character, it is just a waste of time, especially with the two buttons combat system, doesn't matter the amount of bling your characters has at the end, you would be better served doing something else, there is always something better than to waste time chasing virtual bling and there are better games out there.

If you're going to go down that path, you shouldn't ever play any games at all.
I'm more of a pleasure on the moment than seeking the virtual carrot slot machine guy, gimme some shit for me to kill on stylish and skillful ways, something that surprise me, if they drop coloured shit, that is cool but it shouldn't be the goal (at least for me, each one know what they do with their time). Never understood those guys that did boss runs on Diablo II, had my fill at the game as soon as I hit Diablo, replayed more for being fascinated by the world than for build building.

There weren't alot of games where you chased demon lords on a gothic kind of setting, I just lied the setting and some ideas of the game. I just don't like the rout most Diablo clones took, including Grim Dawn. These days, my fun/time wasted ratio with those games is really low, they suffer from the same shit MMOs do but on a lesser degree. I had more fun shitposting at the codex than playing Grim Dawn, it just felt like an unpolished Diablo II with alot of convoluted systems that don't amount to much in the end in terms of making a big difference on gameplay.

Sure, you can sperg all day about the effect your burn build will have and how much DPS you will pump out but I had much more fun playing with a necro on Diablo II raising a huge army of skeletons just for the kicks of it and had it following me around or just becomming a werewolf and having a few wolves following me, I just wanted something better than what colour my DPS will be, red, green or white?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think the gameplay is really amazing. I only play one which is very fast paced (not League of Legends). There are only 4 skills/spells on each hero, but you also have usually 3 or 4 others that you use from the inventory. But there are also 120+ heroes, and you have synergy between them on your team and you have really master all of them to master the game. So when you see a pyro using his area stun, you better be ready and instantly use whatever your ability is, right on the spot the pyro used his stun. It takes a lot of skill to be good at that game and there is a lot of depth to it.

There is more to it than just the number of buttons. But games like GD, PoE, Diablo, etc. There isn't more to it. There are 2 buttons, they make sploshions, that's about it.

Also I can play your game. I played RTS all my life and they make MOBAs seem like kid games. So why would I ever play anything but an RTS? Why would I even play a pathetic MOBA when I can duke it out in Starcraft 2 that takes 2x more skill? Answer that and you get your answer why your posts mean 0 to us here on this topic.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
RTS and mobas are completely different and unrelated. RTS usually have base building and producing units and then sending them to different parts of the map to fight. Mobas have none of that. And until you've played Heroes of Newerth you can't judge mobas. I play RTS's too. The better comparison would be tower defence games. Also Starcraft 2 doesn't take more skill. My posts clearly mean something seeing as you and others reply to them constantly. And my join date means nothing. Try harder.

Saduj

Arcane
Why do people repeatedly show up on threads to trash games that they have never played and have no interest in ever playing?

Isn't that kind of mental wankery a bigger waste of time than having a bit of mindless fun with an ARPG?

We get it, you're too smart to play this game. Now fuck off.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I deleted Grim Dawn more than month back, despite beating boss of the eastern part of the map I was not satisfied with my class (rifle wielding Demol+Occult (Pyromancer). It fire slow, not so much damage and only crowd control spell is some grenade.
How to make decent character fighting at range at the beginning?

I also made 2 new characters, both melee.
One is Soldier+Shaman (Warden) and it's working well so far, for crowd control there are 2 decent skills.
Second is Nightblade which have nice default+boosts but I don't know what 2nd class to pick, tried either Occult or Arcanist but nothing interesting until late and don't feel like play crippled character that can't spend points on currently used class...

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I deleted Grim Dawn more than month back, despite beating boss of the eastern part of the map I was not satisfied with my class (rifle wielding Demol+Occult (Pyromancer). It fire slow, not so much damage and only crowd control spell is some grenade.

I also made 2 new characters, both melee.
One is Soldier+Shaman (Warden) and it's working well so far, for crowd control there are 2 decent skills.
Second is Nightblade which have nice default+boosts but I don't know what 2nd class to pick, tried either Occult or Arcanist but nothing interesting until late and don't feel like play crippled character that can't spend points on currently used class...
If you want an easy early game, take Arcanist and max out the Flash Freeze ability. You will stomp almost everything in normal with it, and can respec into a better build when it start being less useful.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Generally speaking, the key to Pyromancer is stacking OA. Having both Blood of Dreeg and Flame Touched it's a natural crit-based class.

Don't use class DPS skills while leveling. They're good for endgame but early on they're waste of points. This is true for most classes. For Pyro leveling you want Greater Fireblast. Why? Because it's decent damage ranged mini-AoE for zero skill point investment. It's a spell, so you need cast speed for it, not attack speed. Put your skill points in self buffs, CC/debuffs and masteries. But with masteries be careful not to go further than you need for your endgame build. Also join Kymon's Chosen and use faction consumables to burn heroes and bosses quicker. It's cheap and effective. Flashbang/Searing Light is a great CC (even bosses aren't immune to Fumble) and it decreases DA, so you get even more crits.

Never neglect your defenses. Ideally you want to keep your HP at about character_level*200. Ranged characters can survive with less but early leveling is much smoother is you focus on survivability and the easiest way to do that is to get more health. No matter what you do, your DPS won't be that great until 50+ so invest in damage when you can but don't focus on it too much. On Elite (50+) HP matter less, and resistances matter more. But some things will still hit you for 2-3k even before Ultimate so you need to keep your HP at a reasonable level.

Nightblade is about the worst mastery for leveling. You can try to use Noxious Poison Bomb (Blood of Dreeg, Vulnerability, Aspect of the Guardian and Merciless Repertoire should boost you damage output well enough) if your second mastery is Occultist or Greater Fireblast if it's Arcanist. Like Aeschylus said, Olexra's Flash Freeze is awesome. Not only because it's hard CC but also because it reduces fire resistance. Reducing resistances is usually the best way to increase your damage.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What is up with this game?

I remember checking it out early this year I believe, and I think it wasn't finished yet. What about now, what's its status?

EDIT:

I'll elaborate since there are bound to be retards that don't understand my question.

Morrowind is a fully finished game. Main game, Tribunal, Bloodmoon. Before the DLCs were released, it was a finished game as well, since everything was there, except the DLC. You wouldn't go into Red Mountain and have the devs tell you "nah, we still have to finish the Red Mountain section".

Other games, on the other hand, are never fully finished (like Minecraft) since they constantly receive updates, and other games don't have a fully finished "main" game since the game is released and will be finished through updates. The best example I can think of the latter is Tamriel Rebuilt: it isn't finished, at all, but people can still download and play through it.

So where does Grim Dawn stand? It's Wikipedia entry is very barebones and doesn't offer much info.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I didn't play it for a long time either, but when I did just putting points into fire strike = raep. I think it was nerfed a bit in the recent patch but I'd wager it will get you through normal just fine. Grenade is not really cc, but is a very good boss killer.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thanks for advices.
I really should focus on crafting thing, it have potential. I found some relic that enable dual-wielding pistols for example.

Grenade is not really cc, but is a very good boss killer.
true, I managed to beat some powerful skeleton from the quest with 3 haunting nobles. My problem is there is not much skills to clear map from groups of enemies. My 2 new characters don't have that problem.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
My problem is there is not much skills to clear map from groups of enemies.
That's where spammable skills granted by components come in handy. For yet another boss killer on Pyro I'd recommend Sacred Strike.

---

Finally, if you really want some fun with melee, you should try 2H Witchblade. Works best with the Guillotine axe and as much +bleed/+bleed duration gear you can get. It's fragile as hell (though I still managed to get to 85 without dying) but your crit bleeds will tick for 50-100k. You don't have to copy the build point for point. E.g. some people don't like Fighting Spirit because it's not very reliable. Feel free to experiment. Also you probably can't get all those devotions at once. I just highlighted the good ones.

Also it's a two button build!
Not really.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
You run around pressing 2 buttons and everything on the screen explodes in light show sploshunz and blood splats, then you press another button to vacuum up all the loot. Repeat over and over until mom says it's time for dinner.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You run around pressing 2 buttons and everything on the screen explodes in light show sploshunz and blood splats, then you press another button to vacuum up all the loot. Repeat over and over until mom says it's time for dinner.
Mum is here. Stop shitposting on Codex and come to dinner honey. NOW!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom