Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

tripedal

Savant
Low levels are boring for all classes, but they're exceptionally boring with soldier.

ArchAngel

Arcane
So I tried the game, cause I needed something mindless to clear my head after long days of work.

Tried this (plus some other stuff since that's a bit simple):
lmb:cadence and rmb:charge and you're set.

And I'm bored to tears. Finished act 1, but can't get myself to go through the second. I'm utterly unengaged by both mechanics and presentation (graphics and shitty story). Maybe I'm playing it wrong?

I mean I used to have a love-hate relationship with Diablolikes. I loved the first Diablo, it was my first owned game as a teen and atmosphere was a big part of my enjoyment, but then I hated D2. Atmosphere took a big hit, and the item bloat, the randomness and the pointlessness of it all got to me. Enough that I threw my discs in the trash, vowing to never play shit games like that again.

But then, like 15 years later, I enjoyed greatly Divine Divinity, and recently Path of Exile for its mechanical complexity that somehow remains elegant, and the ability to tinker with your skills and take control of the randomness. I thought I had become a popamole lover. Yet I can't decline to Grim Dawn levels. Is it really shit, or is there something to it I haven't found yet?
https://grimcalc.com/
Pick two classes that seem fun, pick skills that seem fun and play around that. Most fun in these games is creating your own builds that seem fun to you.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Ok. So basically, either a respec will do it, or nothing will.

I went melee because usually it's easier while you learn mechanics, I like the kinetic feel of it, and because of this post, wanted to see what the fuss was about :
If you're a melee junkie, this is without a doubt the best ARPG in which you get to do so. Targeting is done perfectly so you can play with your LMB pressed down the entire time and seamlessly move and attack, change targets automatically, and focus all of your attention on casting your cooldown-based abilities, and watching your resources.

https://grimcalc.com/
Pick two classes that seem fun, pick skills that seem fun and play around that. Most fun in these games is creating your own builds that seem fun to you.
I know about grimcalc, thanks.

But usually my first playthrough I just try to go with the flow, learn mechanics and change things as I go. Maybe Grim Dawn isn't really great for that, unlike PoE. Once you invest in a skill, you can't just try something else, you have to respec the character. And you can't respec class, so you can't test stuff from other classes just to see what they are. My current character is locked in to Soldier / Nightblade, so I either have to make it fun to play or do another, which I don't think I'll suffer through. I read that dual wielding + Cadence was somewhat suboptimal to attack more often and proc Cadence more, so my initial plan feels pretty meh. I might try to find a trainer out there that allows changing classes, if one exists.

Also procs and passive stuff is very boring, so maybe I just need to move away from that. I don't know why exactly, but killing stuff feels very unsatisfying in this game.

Hyperion

Arcane
Blademaster was my class of choice as well. Except I focused on the Nightblade side more, because I also dual wielded. Leveling is painful. Your damage sucks, and your survivability isn't great if you're playing Veteran. And if you aren't playing Veteran, D3 is probably for you. I learned late that the beginning of the game should be done with a two-hander and Blade Arc.

You don't spec into Dual Wield with a couple of points in each passive proc until around 50 when you can start getting some sweet Epics, and the Constellation starts coming together. Your desired damage types will probably be Pierce and Cold, so build around those. Tree of Life is a good choice for everyone for defense. Your basic attack for a good portion of the game will probably be from the Mistborn Talisman, since it can be farmed fairly easily from the Troll King in Act III.

Max out (or come close) Pneumatic Burst which you'll be using on cooldown, learn every single aura, you have 2 gap closers in Shadow Strike + Charge (the former is better, and should be built upon), Ring of Steel is your AoE, Blade Barrier your "oh shit!" button, Oleron's Rage should be capped out and will make you into a speed demon by max level.

You should have like 7 - 9 auras active, be flying around the map from pack to pack with your actives, invincible to any and all major attacks with Blade Barrier, spamming Ring of Steel for Aoe + survivability through freeze, and staying permanently at full health by using Pneumatic Burst, your weapon should be proc'ing projectiles left and right, you can have 2 or 3 Shadows running around killing shit for you, all while keeping your wrist and index / middle fingers healthily intact.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
if you're playing Veteran
Not even a question here. Of course.

Thanks for the tips, might respec for more Nightblade, which is what I thought of doing initially. And yeah, pierce + cold was the plan.

So I should respec Cadence to Blade Arc eh? Thought of it, but then I had the Cadence hitting 3 targets, and didn't want to waste all my crystals on a respec that might not be worthwhile. Was thinking of getting the Bull constellation for more AoE too. Had difficulty killing the Warden and the bosses that came after, so I thought going for an AoE main skill instead of single target would make it even worse...

ArchAngel

Arcane
look what I found: http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=488790#post488790
Originally Posted by Crank
Cool, wasn't expecting that. What made you to do that, is the next project using the same engine and you are working on making further improvements?
You can mostly thank the XboxOne port.
wink2.gif

It requires DX11 and we'll also need to do a bunch of work to get decent frame rates on there. We won't be changing anything else about the PC version that will affect gameplay but it will get these engine improvements and some additional controller functionality.

We also are planning another "spin-off" game that is based on GD but a somewhat different kind of game.

The totally new non-GD project we're working on uses Unity.

made

Arcane
Anyone know if saves from an old cracked steam version 1.0.0.2 will work on the latest 1.0.0.9 version from GOG?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
But usually my first playthrough I just try to go with the flow, learn mechanics and change things as I go. Maybe Grim Dawn isn't really great for that, unlike PoE. Once you invest in a skill, you can't just try something else, you have to respec the character. And you can't respec class, so you can't test stuff from other classes just to see what they are. My current character is locked in to Soldier / Nightblade, so I either have to make it fun to play or do another, which I don't think I'll suffer through. I read that dual wielding + Cadence was somewhat suboptimal to attack more often and proc Cadence more, so my initial plan feels pretty meh. I might try to find a trainer out there that allows changing classes, if one exists.

Also procs and passive stuff is very boring, so maybe I just need to move away from that. I don't know why exactly, but killing stuff feels very unsatisfying in this game.

Unfortunately, not being able to respec much (or at all) is considered to be a True Old-School Rule, so Crate felt compelled to include it or else risk losing their Diablo clone street cred.

I think it's completely stupid, but that's the Rule. Somehow, going back to grind up a new character after discovering the newbie traps and mediocre synergies is supposed to enhance the replay value, although as far as I can tell it just wastes people's time.

I backed Grim Dawn from the get-go because I was a big fan of Titan Quest, and according to Steam I put 110 hours into GD, mostly in closed beta if I'm remembering right. Recently though I seem to have suddenly and dramatically lost my taste for all ARPGs, as I discovered when the enhanced edition of TQ was released. I immediately started playing it with two friends, but by the time we were a ways into the desert chapter I was bored to tears and had to bow out.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
ARPGs aren't a thing that you glue yourself to, it's a thing you do when you want to play something, but literally nothing else seems appealing at that time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'll probably fire it up again once the expansion drops.

It's nice that they're adding the Illusionist. Mismatched hobo armor might be an ARPG tradition, but I don't care about tradition in this particular case.

gestalt11

Arbiter
if you're playing Veteran
Not even a question here. Of course.

Thanks for the tips, might respec for more Nightblade, which is what I thought of doing initially. And yeah, pierce + cold was the plan.

So I should respec Cadence to Blade Arc eh? Thought of it, but then I had the Cadence hitting 3 targets, and didn't want to waste all my crystals on a respec that might not be worthwhile. Was thinking of getting the Bull constellation for more AoE too. Had difficulty killing the Warden and the bosses that came after, so I thought going for an AoE main skill instead of single target would make it even worse...

I like this build its versatile in tactics and bit more than just LMB/RMB without being annoying. Just Pump Masteries + physique and Stun Jacks + full spread for your Main damage in Veteran and you are mostly set. Also get your first 10 or so devotions from crucible DLC.

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47324

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
But then, like 15 years later, I enjoyed greatly Divine Divinity, and recently Path of Exile for its mechanical complexity that somehow remains elegant, and the ability to tinker with your skills and take control of the randomness. I thought I had become a popamole lover. Yet I can't decline to Grim Dawn levels. Is it really shit, or is there something to it I haven't found yet?

See, I'm the opposite. I enjoy Grim Dawn, but I really can't stand Path of Exile, although I'm a Beta Supporter of the game. I fully believe PoE is an excellent game, but I just personally don't like it.

The main thing I dislike about Path of Exile is the loot and crafting system. When I played, the loot was basically just a bunch of rubbish, since for the most part you're expected to laboriously craft your own gear by manipulating it with a series of consumables. Oceans of trash, the tedium of checking piece after piece for a desirable correct socket configuration, and then playing socket Jenga and gambling with rare consumables to slot in the desired skill gems and so on. I didn't play the game for an extremely long time, but I played up to the latest available act of the basic difficulty a couple of times, and not once that entire time did I ever experience the satisfaction and enjoyment of a nice piece of loot dropping from a boss. You have to slather fucking shit all over them before they become good.

Also, the Final Fantasy Materia skill gem system aggravates me for a variety of reasons, as does the Final Fantasy X license board... pardon, skill tree. The skills should be on the damn skill tree, and the stat bonuses should be on the gems, as far as I'm concerned. Instead, it's the opposite.

In Grim Dawn on the other hand, there are fifteen possible mastery combinations, many ways to build and gear up each of the fifteen, and all of the core skills are on the skill trees. Some gear and slot gems can grant skills, as can Devotion constellations, but those are extra (although a few, usually on endgame legendary stuff, can be vital to min-maxed builds). For the most part, they grant a variety of stat bonuses.

Importantly, powerful and unique items can and do drop from heroes, bosses, and rare chests on a regular basis, rather than a bunch of garbage you have to smear orbs all over and reconfigure the slots in order to make it not garbage.

Granted, it's been a long while since I've played, and people tend to insist that that's not really how the game flows these days. They also usually insult me and tell me you can get plenty of orbs from the official speedrunning/leaderboard tournaments, which is rather silly because that's not really how I want to play an aRPG. Mindless soloing and online trading, brainstorming fun and interesting builds, and possibly some jolly cooperation are all I want.

Emmanuel2

Savant
The main thing I dislike about Path of Exile is the loot and crafting system. When I played, the loot was basically just a bunch of rubbish, since for the most part you're expected to laboriously craft your own gear by manipulating it with a series of consumables. Oceans of trash, the tedium of checking piece after piece for a desirable correct socket configuration, and then playing socket Jenga and gambling with rare consumables to slot in the desired skill gems and so on. I didn't play the game for an extremely long time, but I played up to the latest available act of the basic difficulty a couple of times, and not once that entire time did I ever experience the satisfaction and enjoyment of a nice piece of loot dropping from a boss. You have to slather fucking shit all over them before they become good.

You don't need to exalt/divine/eternal(rip) your own things unless you're in the top 3-5% in terms of wealth and want a currency sink that doesn't even guarantee good return. 4L rares are enough to get you through merciless and maybe some mapping. Heck, you don't even need a 4L to get through normal. The droprate is intentional to feed into the multiplayer part of the core gameplay loop, SSF is basically a challenge in this game and is also deeply rewarding in the personal sense but even then fusings and jeweller's are quick to come by through converting your current currency, selling random gear to vendor, etc. you just have to know your way around the game.

Mindless soloing and online trading, brainstorming fun and interesting builds, and possibly some jolly cooperation are all I want.

That's basically how the game is now once you've eased into the beginner's curve. It was like that back in Torment (3 years ago?) and it still is on Legacy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
To be fair, I know that PoE has an extremely sophisticated item filter now. In beta, there was no such thing.

I might give PoE another whirl sometime and try to look past the Opposite Day skill and equipment system.

Keppo

Arbiter
So I tried the game, cause I needed something mindless to clear my head after long days of work.

Tried this (plus some other stuff since that's a bit simple):
lmb:cadence and rmb:charge and you're set.

And I'm bored to tears. Finished act 1, but can't get myself to go through the second. I'm utterly unengaged by both mechanics and presentation (graphics and shitty story). Maybe I'm playing it wrong?

I mean I used to have a love-hate relationship with Diablolikes. I loved the first Diablo, it was my first owned game as a teen and atmosphere was a big part of my enjoyment, but then I hated D2. Atmosphere took a big hit, and the item bloat, the randomness and the pointlessness of it all got to me. Enough that I threw my discs in the trash, vowing to never play shit games like that again.

but... Path of Exile isnt papamole.

Sykar

Arcane

See, I'm the opposite. I enjoy Grim Dawn, but I really can't stand Path of Exile, although I'm a Beta Supporter of the game. I fully believe PoE is an excellent game, but I just personally don't like it.

Also, the Final Fantasy Materia skill gem system aggravates me for a variety of reasons, as does the Final Fantasy X license board... pardon, skill tree. The skills should be on the damn skill tree, and the stat bonuses should be on the gems, as far as I'm concerned. Instead, it's the opposite.

In Grim Dawn on the other hand, there are fifteen possible mastery combinations, many ways to build and gear up each of the fifteen, and all of the core skills are on the skill trees. Some gear and slot gems can grant skills, as can Devotion constellations, but those are extra (although a few, usually on endgame legendary stuff, can be vital to min-maxed builds). For the most part, they grant a variety of stat bonuses.

Importantly, powerful and unique items can and do drop from heroes, bosses, and rare chests on a regular basis, rather than a bunch of garbage you have to smear orbs all over and reconfigure the slots in order to make it not garbage.

Granted, it's been a long while since I've played, and people tend to insist that that's not really how the game flows these days. They also usually insult me and tell me you can get plenty of orbs from the official speedrunning/leaderboard tournaments, which is rather silly because that's not really how I want to play an aRPG. Mindless soloing and online trading, brainstorming fun and interesting builds, and possibly some jolly cooperation are all I want.

What bother me more personally that most builds will devolve into one button mashing. There are now so many support gems which make everthing automatic that you do not really have to bother with much more than main damage skill and movement skill, which more often than not is that melee dash skill.

I am not a big fan of the gem system either. When I want to respec at high level to try out something completely new, I either have to trade for high level gems, or I have to painfully level them myselfs. To add insult to injury many gems get significantly better with quality and how do you get that? Drop luck and a few baubles or sell a level 20 one and relevel it anew or buy one which are quite expensive for high level Q20% ones.

Yay, necromancer. Occultist + Necromancer will be my new char when the expansion comes out.

Will probably be the best pet class. Until now only Conjurer was the only potentially full pet class, but now we have 3 at least.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, I started playing Grim Dawn again a couple of days ago, despite thinking I might be better off waiting for the expansion. They've really added and polished quite a lot since beta! Last I played, there were no Devotions, although there was faction rep, powders, etc.

I'm playing a Witch Hunter on Veteran difficulty and I completely destroyed all of the optional bosses (the big guy in the cave, the cult leader in the locked mountain abode, the undead area hidden under the bridge).

I find that very odd, since when I was leveling up an Albrecht's Aether Ray build in beta those bosses/encounters were pretty much impossible even on Normal. This guy just demolishes everything.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Part of it has to be that I'm leveling up pure Physique and therefore have lots of health and armor. I just remember that cult leader easily annihilating my Aether Ray dude, ripping off massive chunks of HP if I ever took a hit and taking forever to whittle down.

While using AAR, you have to stand completely still. It makes sense, but I got sick of that really quickly, especially versus opponents who spam Occultist ground glyph shit.

With Shadow Strike you can teleport in, deal that burst damage with lingering DoTs (that are surprisingly powerful; I've hit heroes with just one Shadow Strike and had them almost dead from the DoTs), and then immediately move away while actually dodging stuff.

Emmanuel2

Savant
I find that very odd, since when I was leveling up an Albrecht's Aether Ray build in beta those bosses/encounters were pretty much impossible even on Normal. This guy just demolishes everything.

Yeah, they tweaked the difficulty by a whole mile for going towards release (and a massive difficulty check was also released on release). In Ultimate back then when it was new, there were 5-6 builds capable of completing it, all of them includes endgame sets, and maybe 3 or 4 for Ultimate HC.

Now, everything is viable even with a less than average build unless you really, really suck at decision making.

EDIT: Also, you're going for a Poison Witch Hunter? Which is probably one of the reasons why you're experiencing an easy time at the lower levels (apart from all builds experiencing an easy time on Veteran but this one especially). It's a very strong build that doesn't need alot of gearing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom