Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

ArchAngel

Arcane
Softcore pussies.

Real men play only HC.

Real men know when to pause and alt+F4.
alt+f4? Why when you can just click exit to main menu lol
HC is hilarious in this game. You either get one shot or you press Space to pause the game at any point (or Esc that also pauses it) and then go to Exit to Main menu.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Softcore pussies.

Real men play only HC.

Real men know when to pause and alt+F4.
alt+f4? Why when you can just click exit to main menu lol
HC is hilarious in this game. You either get one shot or you press Space to pause the game at any point (or Esc that also pauses it) and then go to Exit to Main menu.
Space is closer for me and it doesn't obstruct the view so much - I can still reconsider.

Some idiot added HC end-game achievements, I have to try them.

I only have pots, BoD and Turtle to save my ass. Pumped HP to 12,5k... but it's nothing since I've already seen my 20k hp retaliation tank die in challenger Crucible.

78 now in Elite AoM - end is nigh.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wouldn't try HC in GD, the damage is way too unpredictable and spiky. You'd probably need a very defensive character, but I wouldn't know.

Shadenuat

Arcane
For me game also freezes for a second at some places when I turn camera and FPS goes from 60 to 30ish (at worst).

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hkz2Rrj.png

Vitality conjurer, EZ game EZ life. Or atleast it used to be, no idea nowadays.

Deitti

Augur
Yeah, i have been playing hardcore characters just fine, and some of them have been squishier ones too. Although it helps to stay away from any of the optional bosses.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Soooo... switched from Mace+Shield to full on DPS dual-wielding.

My highest damage dealt is now 230 000+

Yeah.

Clearly I was doing it wrong. Focusing on single-target damage with cadence, bosses go down in couple of minutes max. It is pretty absurd.

I was thinking this would make me more squishy, but I have not died a single time ever since. Took on a nemesis boss with a couple of extra heroes and only had to use one health pot.

And I still have suboptimal devotions.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
As a long time TQ fan it took me a while to warm up to Grim Dawn but I think I am solidly there now.

The two new areas were pretty good. Completely different than what we had encountered in the main game.

New beasties and graphical effects pretty solid too. The final boss too much like the previous final for my liking. I liked the aetherial wave given out by one of the new creatures. Neat graphics.

On the topic of graphics, it felt this area was ramped up a little bit but activating skills seems to lag sometimes.

I completed with a vitality caster with a retaliation build which mostly swept everything aside until the final boss.

Wendigo Totem plus Pox and Curses just melted stuff before my eyes and if anything got close enough to whack me - they killed themselves.

Some creepy stuff going on with witches and cannibals with the messy stuff in the end reminded me of the Dune series where kid Herbert took charge and went on about Axlotl tanks. Actually I think they took it a bit too far - but it was definitely memorable.

Liked the ability to re-spec stats but found the new loot a bit crap. Not many retaliation items found at all.

Liked also the improvement in the 'Caravan' to store stuff across characters. Did not find the new endless dungeon or the four new bosses.

The game has sort of become Awesome + and I am thinking of trying two handed lighting guy just too see and also a proper retaliation build with a Soldier.

Can't kill the mad spider queen but heard a pet build might do her in.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Isn't Port Valbury the new rogue-like dungeon? Or did they add it in a content patch somewhere along the line to the base game?

While I think GD is the best of the 'modern' ARPGs, the maps lack things to see. Isn't the point of a non-random map the ability to add custom cool stuff to it? Ugdenbog literally has 1 cool thing - the big stairs near Barrowholm. I was like "cool! A big complex/temple/structure to explore!", but nope, it's just window dressing. Not that I mind the window dressing, however, the game is bursting with content in general, but I think it needs more window dressing. There are some very cool and creepy touches here and there, like the upside-down hanging mutilated corpses in the bathhouse in Darkvale or how the Seal of the Loghorrean is literally drowned in blood, but they are too few and far between.

They did spice up the base game somewhere along the line and the things they added are pretty cool, like giving Old Arkovia a bit of an Egyptian vibe, but again, too few things. This is my only major criticism of the game in general, otherwise I love it.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Isn't Port Valbury the new rogue-like dungeon? Or did they add it in a content patch somewhere along the line to the base game?

While I think GD is the best of the 'modern' ARPGs, the maps lack things to see. Isn't the point of a non-random map the ability to add custom cool stuff to it? Ugdenbog literally has 1 cool thing - the big stairs near Barrowholm. I was like "cool! A big complex/temple/structure to explore!", but nope, it's just window dressing. Not that I mind the window dressing, however, the game is bursting with content in general, but I think it needs more window dressing. There are some very cool and creepy touches here and there, like the upside-down hanging mutilated corpses in the bathhouse in Darkvale or how the Seal of the Loghorrean is literally drowned in blood, but they are too few and far between.

They did spice up the base game somewhere along the line and the things they added are pretty cool, like giving Old Arkovia a bit of an Egyptian vibe, but again, too few things. This is my only major criticism of the game in general, otherwise I love it.
Valbury was added in some later patches, at least after the Hidden Path. Level-wise it's between Steps and Bastion, but f.e. Anasteria's quest chain is Steps-Bastion-Valbury and imho it's the easiest one (eh, no Alkamos and no Ilgorr).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Both Steps and Port Valbury are immensely easier than Bastion. Bastion has you on edge constantly and assaults you with endless waves of chtonic beings along with the nasty traps it has the habit of spawning on you. I love it. I'd say only Alkamos is a real threat in Steps, while the Flames of Valbury is the area which catches you off-guard in Valbury.

Shadenuat

Arcane
There is a thing about some of locations in arpgs that makes me mad and GD has sinned - it's when big open looking locations end up as wild corridors made of broken wagons and other barricades. Take new rogue dungeon for example, where I was just one shotted by final boss with my 83 aetherial resist because because well just because cause: it's a big city split into 2 locations, and it has massive avenues and houses around with diaries and extra bosses and loot. So you'd think you could explore around how you want, but lo un behold - ten tacticooly placed wagons which make you run sircles around same location until you finally reach next area. Why? Couldn't you make locations at least a little more open?

Well I am finally going into explansion on my level 58. I wish this game would not stop with 3 skill points per level (

Oh yeah that's another thing about arpgs that makes me bored with them quickly. Diablo2 at least just had 2 mouse buttons that's why. But really, builds based around like 2 skills? Skills going through upgrades that require 200% of skill points you put into actual main skill? How boring is that and who decided that's the direction arpgs should go? "Ill play lazor build, my char will shoot lazor". Hurrr.

Anyone knows what is a cap on Undead Legion +summons? Is it +5 regardless of sp?

Is it too much to ask for some cool sets in faction shops? Can't necrobros really produce gloves or boots too and items with poison+vitality damage instead of cold too? Because their own skills like... have poison? And vitality?

Maxed Rattosh on normalz. Had to choose some shitty devs for that but the hp boost and damage boosts are pretty neat. It's ability is better for aoe skills though since it's a DoT. But I placed it on skellies since that means it could work without monsters aggroing on me when I don't need it. I removed bone harvest and level up Reap Spirit - it's not as underwhelming to look at as Siphon Souls anyway. My next goal is Revenant to put skellies into Revenous Earth so huge mouth opens in earth and undead jump out of it with poison spilling around and rape people.

Siphon Souls:

latest

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

Last edited:
There are a lot of neat little touches in the notes as well, such as the family slowly descending into madness near Necropolis and finally becoming a family of cannibals, etc. I was half expecting a secret boss out of that particular storyline (maybe the little kid turned into a hag or something) but didn't find any...

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
There are a lot of neat little touches in the notes as well, such as the family slowly descending into madness near Necropolis and finally becoming a family of cannibals, etc. I was half expecting a secret boss out of that particular storyline (maybe the little kid turned into a hag or something) but didn't find any...
Both PoE and GD have really great atmosphere created by notes and art design - if only I wouldn't just run past it in bird-eye view.

Lacrymas Alkamos is hard because he just might one-shot you, but the chest room is also hard because of how it's almost impossible to kite there. In Valbury I haven't ran into a single obstacle, even the last boss is nothing special (at least in elite).

So far Ekket'zul was the hardest mofo I've met - mostly because he just melts or ignores pets.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Gloomwald is a nice place. Could use some sexy morriganmogdrogen undead witches in skeletal bikinis but I certanly got my shot of

POISON

there.

Last edited:

Aothan

Magister
Shadenaut said:
I removed bone harvest and level up Reap Spirit - it's not as underwhelming to look at as Siphon Souls anyway.

I have not seen Siphon Souls yet but could it be anymore nondescript than Devouring Swarm, as skills go there is little in the way of visual or auditory feedback when using Devouring Swarm

Chaotic_Heretic said:
Going Inquisitor+arcanist dual pistol

my experience with the Inquisitor, dual range and multi-classing is that if you are intending to play the class with those skills from the beginning then it is best to include the three weapon pool skills (Bursting Rounds, Chilling Rounds, and Storm Spread) before expanding into other skills. There are also noticeable fluctuations in how effective these skills are, slightly under a given range will compromise the natural ability to freeze and stun across the screen, leading to a lot more groups and kiting

Lacrymas

Arcane
Devouring Swarm's animation is very disappointing. Siphon Souls is a bit understated, but it's not bad or anything.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I am at awe how game can at the same time nail things like levels atmosphere and monsters, yet fail miserably at player's own skills. Many monster skills look better than your skills.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They nailed Drain Essence, though. I have no idea why I find that skill so satisfying and cool. It's kind of like Kain's ranged blood drinking from Legacy of Kain, but cooler.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom